• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sorry if I hijacked YOUR thread. Looks like a few of your posts are a little off topic. I knew that eagle creek wasn't a DNR range. Don't care what your status is on the range. Was just trying to answer BIGCRAIG'S question. Sorry if that was out of line.
    The man asked a question and you answered it. I personally wasn't offended. ;) Others... :dunno:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The announcement says You may go forward to change targets, DO NOT handle any firearms or touch anything on or near the shooting benches. Stand behind the yellow safety line when you return. This is a site specific DNR range rule for this range. It is a safety violation for this range.

I can understand not handling guns during a cease fire, but the "standing behind the yellow line and not touching anything on the benches" is just plain silly.

Yet again the reason why I belong to 2 private clubs.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I can understand not handling guns during a cease fire, but the "standing behind the yellow line and not touching anything on the benches" is just plain silly.

Yet again the reason why I belong to 2 private clubs.

seems to me that the folks that have some Military or Police training in their background do not have any issues with those safety measures. Civilians seem to have an issue with them, which is understandable since they've not been exposed to it before.

Just my :twocents:

Carry on :patriot: :ingo:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    +1 for the reminder!

For those of you who have not been there, it's a great place to shoot. If you buy a non-expiring 10 visit pass for $65 you will ony pay $6.50 per visit to shoot all day! You can't beat it!

On top of that there are RSO's that keep a watch over everything. They are very helpful and courteous. The line is covered so you stay dry if the weather is bad. If you place your targets under the baffles they will stay dry too.

PLEASE USE THIS VALUABLE RESOURCE!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Is the tall old wierd tall guy with the whiskers still there?One strange mofo.

Oh no you didn't! LOL!

That "guy" is one of the most helpful and courteous people you will ever find on a range. He is the backbone of the staff there and truly cares about firearms education and safety. That fact that you refer to him as "weird" and "strange" and don't even know his name shows only that you don't know him at all. I have counted on his professionalism and expertise while conducting my classes more than I can count. Talk to him again some time. Maybe either or both of you were having an off day?

I do a great deal of training there and I can't think of a place I would rather go because Steve, Vern, Bill, et al have my back when I am there. I am not immune to making mistakes myself or missing something. I take great comfort in knowing they are back there watching while I am on the line with a bunch of strangers with guns. Give the range a try!

Last edited:

rpcblast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    I was reading the range rules regaridng eagle creek, and it said that .45/70 is not allowed. Would I be correct in assuming that .45 ACP is allowed? Also, would a semi auto AR-15 be allowed?(.223/5.56 NATO)

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I was reading the range rules regaridng eagle creek, and it said that .45/70 is not allowed. Would I be correct in assuming that .45 ACP is allowed? Also, would a semi auto AR-15 be allowed?(.223/5.56 NATO)

Pistol calibers only, so, no .223/5.56.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To expand a little on what BigCraig stated.

Pistol calibers firearms are only allowed. So if the firearm shoots a round that was designed for a pistol it is ok to shoot at ERCP.

Now is it is a pistol that can shoot a rifle round then you cannot shoot it at ECPR.

Shot Guns are also allowed (Please use a shotgun target)

Muzzle loading firearms are also good to go.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Okay, for more clarification:

NO CENTERFIRE RIFLE CALIBER RIFLES: Sounds repetitive, but the city and police wont let us shoot any rifles. Only pistol caliber (traditional pistol calibers, no .30-30 in a pistol for an example, no .30 carbine, no .223, no .35 Remington) rifles are allowed. If in doubt, ask us! :)

Also, muzzleloaders are allowed, but we ask folks to use Pyrodex (either pellets or powders) instead of blackpowder. This cuts down the smoke that some folks dont like.

Please understand: We understand the "hypocrisy" (as some folks have argued with me out at the range) of having high energy pistol cartridges (like .460 and similar) and muzzleloaders, but no centerfire rifles. We are working on it. Can't give an exact date.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: One thing that has been popping up due to the popularity of the range is that folks sometimes have to wait to shoot. PLEASE: Do not ask us for a time line of when folks may clear out. We don't know when something is going to open up. Folks pay for an entire day, if they want it, they get it. We aren't Olive Garden, we dont have buzzer disks. Asking us how much time is a waste of ours and yours, plus folks don't like to be rushed... Also, (having been asked this) we do not have the time to "call you" on your cellular when a lane opens up. Believe me, I have been asked this!

I dont want to sound like a jerk, we really love our customers, every one of them! Each customer that comes in is a message to the City that shooting is here to stay at Eagle Creek!

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    ECPR is the only range I go to. It is the only range I take my son and friends to. I went to Pop's a couple of times but that was before I knew of ECPR. I don't even bother checking on DNR ranges...I used to but what's the point. The ROs are friendly, helpful and pretty cool. Sure, it's open only on weekends (sometimes not even) but I get my fix shooting three to four hundred rounds every three weeks or so. Heck, I didn't even know the ROs were INGO members until I joined the forum. Now it'll be interesting to find out who's who.

While shooting is my primary reason for going to ECPR, I also thoroughly enjoy the friendly banter with the ROs. They appreciate quality guns like I do and I couldn't ask for a better way to spend several hours on a weekend. :yesway:

Last edited:

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think D.H. has done a great job of brining up and answering some of the common questions and concerns we have from some of our customers at the range.

The bottom line is we all really want people to be safe and have a good time. Thats what we are there for.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ALSO PLEASE NOTE: One thing that has been popping up due to the popularity of the range is that folks sometimes have to wait to shoot. PLEASE: Do not ask us for a time line of when folks may clear out. We don't know when something is going to open up. Folks pay for an entire day, if they want it, they get it. We aren't Olive Garden, we dont have buzzer disks. Asking us how much time is a waste of ours and yours, plus folks don't like to be rushed... Also, (having been asked this) we do not have the time to "call you" on your cellular when a lane opens up. Believe me, I have been asked this!

Just to add a little note: The wait times are generally short if all lanes are full. Some shooters come out and spend several hours shooting but most only shoot an hour or two because they run out of ammo(which doesn't seem to take very long for some these days with ammo prices).

pfeigert

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks to the Range Officers

I just want to take a minute to thank all the folks who work at Eagle Creek Range. I just began shooting again after quite a few years of idleness. All of the Range Officers are helpful and pleasant. I've read on this thread how some consider the rules at the range unneeded or excessive. I have been corrected on a couple of occasions but never in a nasty way. I figure if I've done something unacceptable I deserve to be corrected and try to accept it in a positive way. If someone who uses the range doesn't agree with the rules they can go elsewhere or lobby to have them changed. Keep up the good work so I can continue to use your fine facility.
    Pete

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Pretty sure I know who the "old, wierd guy" is, and it isn't me. And he isn't there any longer. ;)

I usually get referred to in more, uh, colorful terms :D (I almost always get a Muther's Day card....lol)

Top Bottom