• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimeni1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    West Carrollton
    i just went for it. I used an 8 qt pot, and a whole 8 oz bottle of purple Rit dye. Filled the pot about 2/3 full. I used Op's process. My wife wanted it this dark. A little less dip time was a lighter purple. Pink might be the color to dye purple.

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
      IMAG0029.jpg
      404.8 KB · Views: 33
    • 2014-10-10 19.15.43.jpg
      2014-10-10 19.15.43.jpg
      88.5 KB · Views: 32
    Last edited:

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Tagged for future use...Pink isn't too popular with the females in my family, but this purple looks very nice and could make its way into the safe eventually!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My wife wants me to build her a purple AR in the future and I found this thread and showed her the RIT dye, she liked that idea. So I bought a 12qt Stainless pot and black powdered RIT dye (they were out of liquid). Did a few pieces that were OD Green to try this stuff out and it worked great. Used about 1 minute for the soak time. Thanks for posting this by the way, it was very helpful and now I feel confident to build her rifle using this method for the furniture.

before:

11uudu1.jpg

after:

29njaqq.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Nifty!
    I've gone ahead and moved this to our gunsmithing forum as I think dying furniture would fit well there!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Finally got my wife's AR pistol together and Rit dyed the grip and mags. I am very happy with the results. Can't wait to show her in the morning (she fell asleep while the Grape juice was heating up on the stove).

attachment.php

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Finally got my wife's AR pistol together and Rit dyed the grip and mags. I am very happy with the results. Can't wait to show her in the morning (she fell asleep while the Grape juice was heating up on the stove).

That looks awesome, I am thinking about doing one for my wife in a lighter shade of green.

eberres

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    WI
    I am new to the whole gun thing. I am building an AR15 with an experienced gun guy. I want some color to my gun but am not sure if some colors show up better or not. I've seen (like above) you can dye your own furniture but does it have to be a dark color? If I did a light blue on some black pieces, is it going to show after the boiling process is done?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You have to start with a light color in order for the color to soak in. Black dyed blue will just look black with maybe a hind of blue in the sunlight. I've dyed tons of nylon parts with rit as well as gun bits. Desert tan usually looks best. I'd start with that. The longer you boil it the darker it gets. Be sure to remove everything at the same time otherwise some stuff will be a darker shade of whatever.

Top Bottom