• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would like to use Durafil to fill some bad pits after bead blasting on a Hi-Standard HD-Military .22 LR to improve the appearance. Then spray on a Duracoat finish.

I am searching for some first hand knowledge or observation. How well does Duracoat holds up on receiver rails and slide rails where they will be in contact as the slide moves back and forth when I shoot the pistol?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I believe one of the advertisers Duracoats firearms professionally... maybe someone can chime in and point you in his direction.

(I can't remember his username right now)....

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Durafil experience

Is there a large area of pitting you intend to fill or just some scattered ones? I have seen it used on some punch gouges and it was like they never existed.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Durafil? Never used......duracoat I've used plenty enough to advise. IMO its the lower end of the "made for guns" paint or finishes. It works, it coats well, it mixes, cures, patterns great. It holds onto the surface 50/50. My Glock and AR both are custom painted by myself with duracoat. The high friction areas show holster wear but it still looks good. Just a bit faded. Moly Resin and other cured baked on finishes are much better but take good equipment (or better) and practice. DuraCoat is def a DIY approach compared to Moly Resin. Its all in the prep.

Disassemble
    Soap Scrub
    Repeat #2
    Repeat #3
    Repeat #4
    Dry
    Lace with acetone looking for beading (missed oily area)
    Evaporate acetone
    Primer/paint
    Dry 24hrs
    Carefully reassemble

HTH RNM

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Duracoat performance

My experience is with over 50 projects now. I have never had any issues with adhesion. I only use the cleaner that is available from Lauer Custom Weaponry (Duracoat). Surface prep is indeed everything.

The durafil material is designed to be "built up" to fill imperfections. None of the other bake on coatings have that ability. They are all applied very thin.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Durafil and DuraCoat

I ordered the Durafil and Duracoat from Brownell's tonight. I need the Durafil to fill in some bad pits on one side of barrel. i didn't want to take down the surrounding metal too much trying to blend everything together. I figure I would build up the low spots and then take down those areas where I put the Durafil, thus blending everything into a nice looking surface before spraying on the DuraCoat.

Still curious about wear on the slide rails and receiver rails where they will develop friction during the firing of the gun and when ejecting the spent cartridge and loading the next round.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your information was quite helpful. I'm anxious to try the Durafil and DuraCoat. While this Hi-Standard is no jewel, I still want it to turn out nicely. The good thing is that this gun is the perfect one for me to attempt such a project. I ordered the chemicals from Brownell's tonight.

Are there any indiana suppliers of the Durafil and DuraCoat where I could have gone to make the purchase, instead of paying the high shipping charges for the hazardous chemicals?

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    It would be great if you post some before and after pictures of your project. I think that many of us would like to see what the capability of the Durafil is. I have considered trying it on a .380 Colt Government that has some pitting around the trigger guard.

If you wanna get ata boys you will need pics. :D

Good luck on your project.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    It would be great if you post some before and after pictures of your project. I think that many of us would like to see what the capability of the Durafil is. I have considered trying it on a .380 Colt Government that has some pitting around the trigger guard.

If you wanna get ata boys you will need pics. :D

Good luck on your project.

I have done a lot of projects where I wish someone had said this before I started. I usually don't think of it until it is almost finished.

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought a duracoat kit. How much "tear down" needs to be done? I have a Sig P 6 I want to duracoat with a single color. How does the coating affect the rails? Any comments and help would be appreciated.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Pics of one of mine...before and after

picture.php

This is using Duracoat only, no Durafil
    picture.php

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After seeing these pics of your work, I am wondering why I ordered the Durafil. Oh well, I'll have the Durafil in hand and ready if I need it, too.

Which DuraCoat Black color did you apply to this Shotgun?

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I tried using my portable Halogen light tonight based on suggstion that it helps to see all of the imperfections easier. The Halogen light worked wonders for me out in the garage...great suggestion.

The halogen light also gives off some nice welcome heat at this time of the year to help warm the surroundings and the metal on the gun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought a duracoat kit. How much "tear down" needs to be done? I have a Sig P 6 I want to duracoat with a single color. How does the coating affect the rails? Any comments and help would be appreciated.
    I'd kind of like to know this too. My CZ 82 could use some sprucing up.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I disassemble completely

I take it down to every pin, part, etc to make sure that I get all surfaces prepped and cleaned thoroughly. I attribute that to why I have never had an adhesion problem with Duracoat.

Top Bottom