• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I can see a potential problem here. It is entirely possible that the individual being so questioned could understand this to be a reference to a diagnosed medical condition. In my case, I have never been diagnosed with anything, but my sense of balance just isn't worth a damn.
    We are not seeing the forest for the trees here. Lots of people do not have great balance. But if you are driving like crap, smell of alcohol, showing physical signs of possible impairment, then maybe your lack of balance will be an issue. However, we do not just pull random cars over and perform SFST's on them. If i pull you over for crossing the centerline and you don't smell of anything, and retrieve your DL and registration without incident, you will likely continue on your way without incident (ticket or not). I will have a pretty good idea of intoxication before I start my SFST's.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    What type of condition could there be? Besides there are other tests involved. I have yet to see a person who could not perform any test. The Nystagmus measures smooth movement from side to side and the involuntary jerking movement at the maximum end that cannot be prevented by a person under the influence. From there if the person truely has any physical conditions that would prevent them from taking an SFST (and you suspect alcohol involvement), you offer them a certified test.

One of the first things that is asked by the officer "is there anything that would prevent you from physically taking this test". PC can still be developed from the other tests.

Off the top of my head, there are at least a dozen other causes/types of nystagmus completely unrelated to alcohol. Most are neurological or inner ear related.

You are correct. I have a condition called Meniere's. It is an inner ear condition that has symptoms such as Nystagmus, dizziness, nausea, and lack of balance.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    When I teach it to recruits it's borderline painful trying to get them proficient, but watching experienced guys do it really shows how effective detection is.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd love to put a bunch of you INGOers through a wet lab.

Wet-Lab1.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    3 cops, none of whom were rookies, and one of whom is a DRE who lives for OPO felt otherwise. All 3 had the guy at .03-.05 when his certified was .13

That's interesting, why did they think he was so low? Was it related to nystagmus or SFST balance tests?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    3 cops, none of whom were rookies, and one of whom is a DRE who lives for OPO felt otherwise. All 3 had the guy at .03-.05 when his certified was .13

I'd like to know what exactly he saw. Was there lack of smooth pursuit? Distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation? Onset prior to 45 degrees?

Top Bottom