DUI Checkpoint advice.........Possibility for general police stops in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Silly marketing gimmick.

Got to ask, why? Was this in Boston T. Party book or something?

If you don't roll down your window, don't ya think the cops will just have you step out of your little turtle shell?:D

Advice? Ok, it's even free:

1. Don't drink and drive. Call a cab. Cabs are a lot less money than lawyers.

2. Don't pull through roadblocks. By Indiana Supreme Court decision roadblocks must have a turn around. So, turnaround and don't play cop games.

3. If they tell you to stop, stop.

4. Don't talk. Don't say anything. Shut your baconhole. Don't play 20 questions or any cop game. All their games involve you talking, don't.

5. You have to get out of the car if they tell you to. These bs, cutesy-pie marketing tricks are feckless (for you).

Learn the traffic code, obey the traffic code (remember, it's not about you, we all chipped in), keep your vehicle clean inside and outside, don't dress like the criminal class, stop when the cops tell you to, and, above all, be quiet.

Still the best advice in the thread.
    I ****ing hate drunk drivers. They have killed people dear to me. If you drink and drive I hope you kill yourself and no one else.
    However I will not give up or ask anyone else to give up one shred of their rights in order to make it easier to catch drunk drivers or any other criminal for that matter

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had a boss tell me once that he could drug test us all that he wanted and as many times as he wanted to because "the Supreme Court allows it". He also informed us that to work on a Federal contract job such as a new F.B.I. building we must agree to allow any Federal agent to pull us off of the job and strip search us and interrogate us with no probable cause (the Court stated that was permitted too) I told him "I did not swear an oath to defend this country and then be treated like that - I quit" and walked out of his office.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had a boss tell me once that he could drug test us all that he wanted and as many times as he wanted to because "the Supreme Court allows it". He also informed us that to work on a Federal contract job such as a new F.B.I. building we must agree to allow any Federal agent to pull us off of the job and strip search us and interrogate us with no probable cause (the Court stated that was permitted too) I told him "I did not swear an oath to defend this country and then be treated like that - I quit" and walked out of his office.

I would have told him, "they ain't that brave," and kept working.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Im not saying its illegal im saying that if I was a cop and saw someone turn around I would pull them over. And I can take a educated guess and say that is what happens almost all the time.

whats the reasonable suspicion of crime? What law did they break to constitute a stop?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Is it common for people refuse to stop at police DUI checkpoints?

We have them around here too.Quite often drunk driver just refuse to stop (leading to the cops throwing spike strips under the car, hot pursuit and possibly shooting at the fleeing car).

If you refuse to blow into a breathalyzer you can get arrested and subjected to a blood test.

B9710763788Z.1_20170110110641_000%2BGAE8A6SUD.2-0.jpg

We have two different law enforcement agencies, the police (civilia force) and the gendarmerie (part of the military).
    The police is not allowed to shoot at a fleeing vehicle unless you try to run over a police officer.
    The gendarmerie have different rules of engagement and they often shoot at drivers who don't stop at checkpoints.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If they were trying to catch drunk drivers, instead of "showing the flag", they'd have those same officers spread all over the town/city and actually pulling over people that are showing signs of drunk driving.

You know, that whole "presumption of innocence", probable cause, reasonable articulable suspicion, and all that.

Instead, they do the checkpoints so the public thinks something is being done. Doesn't matter that it's not the efficient thing, just that "we have to do SOMETHING".

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If they were trying to catch drunk drivers, instead of "showing the flag", they'd have those same officers spread all over the town/city and actually pulling over people that are showing signs of drunk driving.

You know, that whole "presumption of innocence", probably cause, reasonable articulable suspicion, and all that.

Instead, they do the checkpoints so the public thinks something is being done. Doesn't matter that it's not the efficient thing, just that "we have to do SOMETHING".

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner!

Checkpoints are the "PR" if you will of impairment deterrence. They are meant to be highly visible, highly publicized, and highly avoided. The point of a checkpoint is to make people afraid to get arrested for drinking and driving. Stats are more easily gained by roving patrols made by highly trained Officers looking for drunk drivers.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

No problem. I hate checkpoints, but not for the reason that most do. I hate them because I believe in efficiency of operation and, even though I understand the concept and purpose of a checkpoint, they don't produce significant numbers of apprehended impaired drivers. You put me out driving around and aggressively hunting for impaired drivers, I'll average one arrest for every 1.5 hours of patrol. If I stand around a checkpoint with a dozen other coppers, I mignt...*might*...get one arrest during the 6 hour stint of a checkpoint.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No problem. I hate checkpoints, but not for the reason that most do. I hate them because I believe in efficiency of operation and, even though I understand the concept and purpose of a checkpoint, they don't produce significant numbers of apprehended impaired drivers. You put me out driving around and aggressively hunting for impaired drivers, I'll average one arrest for every 1.5 hours of patrol. If I stand around a checkpoint with a dozen other coppers, I mignt...*might*...get one arrest during the 6 hour stint of a checkpoint.

Well, my statement came from listening to one of the INGO LEOs, it may even have been you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, if I turn around or away from a checkpoint, is it bad form to wave and blow kisses while I'm doing it?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Not at all....... cops backing traffic up while the they violate everybody who isn't breaking the law is..... But as was said "We have to do something".

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I went out looking for impaired drivers last night on grant-funded overtime. I actively patrolled for less than an hour and found two very drunk drivers.

Top Bottom