DUI Checkpoint advice.........Possibility for general police stops in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So, remind me why there is a need for DUI checkpoints?
    There isn't outside of PR. DUI taskforces are funded with federal grant money to pay the OT since they are operated outside of regular duties. Part of the deal with accepting the money is the department will set up X number of checkpoints that month or fiscal year. Roaming will ALWAYS grab more drunks but there is nothing to show the media/public since it looks like regular police doing police work. Checkpoints are put in the paper/radio/billboards (as required by the courts), there are huge signs, there is ONE location that the media can film officers doing DUI work. Dog and pony show. We were forced to work them if we wanted the OT from roaming DUI. They were easy because most of us went home without a single DUI, as opposed to 1 or 2 we each would get per shift. We used to run a checkpoint New Years Eve just outside Broad Ripple. We got nothing but taxi's....waste. I thought it was a good sign that people were being responsible.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I personally think that such checkpoints are ridiculous and unconstitutional, but I'm also not likely to be a jerk about it. Depending on my mood, though, a question like "what are you doing out at this hour?" might just push the wrong buttons. My answer might be "being stopped from going about my lawful actions by a detention that lacks even a modicum of reasonable, articulable suspicion. Am I free to go?"

Also: would turning on the dome light prevent the need for use of the million foot-candle torches in the face?

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Well said.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I had had a buddy get a PI for walking home drunk (no, not doing anything destructive, just walking down the sidewalk home at 3am with a .1bac).

Also had another friend get a PI while getting into a cab to go home (again, not doing anything destructive). He was entering the cab just outside the bar property. Lafayette cops are trash.

There's really no winning.

Jasper (city) Police are cut from the same fabric. During a local street festival a local man I know was at the Headquarters Bar on south main street. When it was time for him to go home, he called his wife and asked her to come get him because he didn't want to drink and drive. She told him she'd be there in 15 minutes, so after 10 minutes he went outside and leaned against the wall next to the front door waiting for her to arrive. She showed up in time to see him getting thrown into the back of a police car for public intoxication.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Jasper (city) Police are cut from the same fabric. During a local street festival a local man I know was at the Headquarters Bar on south main street. When it was time for him to go home, he called his wife and asked her to come get him because he didn't want to drink and drive. She told him she'd be there in 15 minutes, so after 10 minutes he went outside and leaned against the wall next to the front door waiting for her to arrive. She showed up in time to see him getting thrown into the back of a police car for public intoxication.

Yeah, I have heard way to many stories like this about the Jasper City PD to ever attend then slobberfest aka Strassenfest.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, remind me why there is a need for DUI checkpoints?

You'd be better off asking why officers work them. It is well known that I refuse to work them due to personal belief in the constitutionality of them. It is actually one of a small handful major sticking points I have concerning my profession.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Silly marketing gimmick.

Learn the traffic code, obey the traffic code (remember, it's not about you, we all chipped in), keep your vehicle clean inside and outside, don't dress like the criminal class, stop when the cops tell you to, and, above all, be quiet.

Good advice, but a couple questions.
    what do you mean by Silly marketing gimmick?
    does a messy vehicle interior or the way you dress give them p.c. or r.a.s?
    care to answer my second question?
    also, I still don't understand your point about "marketing gimmick", is somebody selling something?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Learn the traffic code, obey the traffic code (remember, it's not about you, we all chipped in), keep your vehicle clean inside and outside, don't dress like the criminal class, stop when the cops tell you to, and, above all, be quiet.

So in other words, be naked. This thinking irks me. I just recently had an unpleasant experience with a business, for what I assumed was dressing "like the criminal class."

Kut (is still unsure what he going to do about it, but probably nothing)

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    So in other words, be naked. This thinking irks me. I just recently had an unpleasant experience with a business, for what I assumed was dressing "like the criminal class."

Kut (is still unsure what he going to do about it, but probably nothing)

Were you dressed like a banker, or a lawyer?:):

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I have heard way to many stories like this about the Jasper City PD to ever attend then slobberfest aka Strassenfest.

That would be in your best interest. They have a beer garden to get you intoxicated and police everywhere to bust you while walking to your car/home. It's all about generating revenue.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Hang out in 29D05 Monday morning. See how they are dressed? If you want to be invisible, don't dress like that.

People make judgments based on how one looks. If your mom did not tell you that, I just did.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Because we need to place permanent check points in the neighborhoods of Indiana Supreme Court Justices.

They will be unconstitutional by nightfall.
    That is exactly right. Those who make the laws usually don't have to deal with them. I asked a game warden at a boat show once about passengers drinking and boating in Oklahoma. They smiled and said far too many legislators like to have a beer on the boat, that's why they did not consider the lower alcohol beer a problem. In their current boating laws it still says "If you drink while boating, designate a non-drinking boat operator just as you would designate a non-drinking driver."

I see Indiana has a similar law.
    "Indiana does not have an open container law for boating — both the driver and passengers aged 21 and over are permitted to consume alcohol. However, Browne said, the legal limit is .08, and the law and penalties are identical to motor vehicle laws."

I like that idea, DUI checkpoints leaving and arriving in every Indiana Supreme Court Justices street. It would stop.

Top Bottom