DUI Checkpoint advice.........Possibility for general police stops in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Not sure what I dislike more....police checkpoints or people that drive while under the influence of booze or dope. Can't really stand either one. I have zero tolerance for drunk people, and less than that for drunks that insist on driving. Call a cab, dial a friend, take off walking...

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    A few months ago we had a guy, mid 60's-ish, driving a truck with his dog as the passenger and the man had no pants. Not on his person or in the vehicle, just cruising around in his tighty-not-so-whiteys, drunk as a monkey.

Wearing Pants..... That's so 80's

Last edited:

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    So no words at all? Is there a balance between being a rude jerk and not playing twenty questions?

As the officer asks the first question do you reply "I prefer not to answer any questions sir" or do you just sit there mute with your license and registration in your hand?

Per US Supreme Court you have to at least say I don't answer questions or along those lines. Just not saying anything somehow doesn't show that you chose not to answer questions.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    If I remember right we don't have to roll our window down all the way either? I try my best to not get pulled over and when I have my attitude depend on the officers. If they want to play games I'll pretend to be Milton Bradley.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Silly marketing gimmick.

Got to ask, why? Was this in Boston T. Party book or something?

If you don't roll down your window, don't ya think the cops will just have you step out of your little turtle shell?:D

Advice? Ok, it's even free:

1. Don't drink and drive. Call a cab. Cabs are a lot less money than lawyers.

2. Don't pull through roadblocks. By Indiana Supreme Court decision roadblocks must have a turn around. So, turnaround and don't play cop games.

3. If they tell you to stop, stop.

4. Don't talk. Don't say anything. Shut your baconhole. Don't play 20 questions or any cop game. All their games involve you talking, don't.

5. You have to get out of the car if they tell you to. These bs, cutesy-pie marketing tricks are feckless (for you).

Learn the traffic code, obey the traffic code (remember, it's not about you, we all chipped in), keep your vehicle clean inside and outside, don't dress like the criminal class, stop when the cops tell you to, and, above all, be quiet.
    Good advice, but a couple questions.
    what do you mean by Silly marketing gimmick?
    does a messy vehicle interior or the way you dress give them p.c. or r.a.s?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Nah, part of their game. But I've dreamed about shining my little ZebraLight right back at 'em. Never had the guts to try it. Figured it would end end with me screaming, DON'T TASE ME BRO!:laugh:
    Readjusting my side mirror to reflect back at the officer actually facilitated me spending the night in Marion county lock up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I prefer to think if you NEED to avoid a checkpoint, you aren't doing it right!

Maybe we just don't like random searches.
    I also prefer not to have my house randomly searched, though I'm sure that would help the police solve crimes (if they could search random houses, not just mine).
    If an officer suspects me for some reason, that's different.
    He follows me and pulls me over, says I'm weaving or crossed the line, or something, sure fine.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Readjusting my side mirror to reflect back at the officer actually facilitated me spending the night in Marion county lock up.

Sounds like an interesting story, I'll be back with popcorn for the details. If you weren't breaking any laws, that sounds to me like a good way to interject a little humor into a stop :) but I wouldn't have the guts!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I also prefer not to have my house randomly searched, though I'm sure that would help the police solve crimes (if they could search random houses, not just mine).
    He follows me and pulls me over, says I'm weaving or crossed the line, or something, sure fine.

And to add to it....

Wouldn't the money on officer's pay/overtime be better spent with the officers spread throughout the city, trying to find drunk drivers?

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint

They always use the "weaving", or "you crossed the center line" crap. Coming home one night/morning at 2:30am I got pulled over like that. Rural, 2 lane hiway, just me and my 3 legged dog. There was no one around. I notice headlights behind me, but very far away. The rate of closure is quite significant, so I figured it was a cop. I had not met anyone on the road and there really wasn't any place for him to be sitting. As he got closer, I notice it was crown Vic headlights, and as we all know, if you see crown Vic headlights after dark, it's a cop. Anyone else driving one is in bed by dark.

He gets close, rides my ass for a mile or two as I hold it right on 55 and watch him. Then he pulls me over. 20 questions, where are you going, where have you been, have you been drinking (I have not drank in close to 20 years), then he says I was weaving....... Then he said, "well, it's a little windy tonight, maybe that's why you were weaving". Yea, whatever. Driving around at 2:30am will get you folowed or pulled over nearly every time around here. He handed my stuff back to me and I went home.

All they really need to pull you over, is the ability to make something up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They always use the "weaving", or "you crossed the center line" crap. Coming home one night/morning at 2:30am I got pulled over like that. Rural, 2 lane hiway, just me and my 3 legged dog. There was no one around. I notice headlights behind me, but very far away. The rate of closure is quite significant, so I figured it was a cop. I had not met anyone on the road and there really wasn't any place for him to be sitting. As he got closer, I notice it was crown Vic headlights, and as we all know, if you see crown Vic headlights after dark, it's a cop. Anyone else driving one is in bed by dark.

He gets close, rides my ass for a mile or two as I hold it right on 55 and watch him. Then he pulls me over. 20 questions, where are you going, where have you been, have you been drinking (I have not drank in close to 20 years), then he says I was weaving....... Then he said, "well, it's a little windy tonight, maybe that's why you were weaving". Yea, whatever. Driving around at 2:30am will get you folowed or pulled over nearly every time around here. He handed my stuff back to me and I went home.

All they really need to pull you over, is the ability to make something up.

Maybe they can make it up. But harder to do with dashcams.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I cannot fathom making up a reason to stop a car and possibly arrest the driver for DUI. The entire incident is predicated on a lawful stop and, absent that, you'd be purjuring yourself from the get-go, even if the driver was impaired. There is no good that can come from an arrest based on lies.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    polls_boot_735943_3438_866105_answer_3_xlarge.gif

Top Bottom