DUI Checkpoint advice.........Possibility for general police stops in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Here is a point I don't recall seeing posted on here before; Police, fire, EMS etc... vehicles are not exempt from checkpoints. If they end up as part of the random selection process then they must go through just like everyone else.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The last time I went through a DUI checkpoint was about 20 years ago. I believe I surprised the state trooper when he asked what I was doing out "so late"(it was 12;30 a.m.). I told him I was going to get some beer(which I was). That answer completely threw him off. He started stammering after I answered. He then asked if I had been drinking. I told him it had been three or four hours since I had last drank one of two beers. He still seemed a bit "off his game" and waved me on through the check point. After I bought some beer, I went back to the check point. I held up my twelve-pack as I approached. The same trooper saw it and just waved me through.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is the part that pisses me off. You are an adult doing nothing wrong. That is all they need to know. What you are doing out at 'this hour' is none of their damn business. Perhaps the better question is "why are they out here harassing citizens at this hour?"

I hand them my drivers license and then say, am I free to go. It's work the last 5 times for me so fair.

I personally think that such checkpoints are ridiculous and unconstitutional, but I'm also not likely to be a jerk about it. Depending on my mood, though, a question like "what are you doing out at this hour?" might just push the wrong buttons. My answer might be "being stopped from going about my lawful actions by a detention that lacks even a modicum of reasonable, articulable suspicion. Am I free to go?"

Also: would turning on the dome light prevent the need for use of the million foot-candle torches in the face?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Also: would turning on the dome light prevent the need for use of the million foot-candle torches in the face?

Nah, part of their game. But I've dreamed about shining my little ZebraLight right back at 'em. Never had the guts to try it. Figured it would end end with me screaming, DON'T TASE ME BRO!:laugh:

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Here is a point I don't recall seeing posted on here before; Police, fire, EMS etc... vehicles are not exempt from checkpoints. If they end up as part of the random selection process then they must go through just like everyone else.
    I was stopped on duty and in uniform. Pulled over and checked by a trooper.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    4. Don't talk. Don't say anything. Shut your baconhole. Don't play 20 questions or any cop game. All their games involve you talking, don't...

So no words at all? Is there a balance between being a rude jerk and not playing twenty questions?

As the officer asks the first question do you reply "I prefer not to answer any questions sir" or do you just sit there mute with your license and registration in your hand?

Top Bottom