• ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I am looking for a dual purpose shotgun. The primary purpose would be HD - something with an 18.5" barrel and at least a 6+1 shot capacity. However, I would also like to have the ability to swap out with a longer barrel if I decide to take up trap shooting (firing at moving targets sounds like a new challenge).

Initially, we were looking at the Mossberg 500 line. The only negative with them was that you cannot add a magazine extender.

Next we looked at the Remington 870 line, and I was pleased with what I saw of the Express Tactical version (picatinny rail, ghost sights, extended magazine tube). However, I heard that there were issues with swapping out the 18.5" barrel for a longer 870 barrel. I have not been able to verify whether that is true and was wondering if anyone has any experience with doing that.

I have heard that the Express line is not as well finished as the other models in the 870 line, but I am not overly concerned about aesthetics - only reliability.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have two 870 expresses, 12 ga and 20 ga. Both have functioned flawless. Use my 12 ga with a 18.5 inch HD barrel I purchased seperately, when I hunt Turkey, Pheasant or trap shoot I put my 26 inch field barrel on. I bought the gun more for hunting than protection so I never went down the road of mag tube extension. I figure with the 4 + 1 round capacity that is all I would need for HD.

I have had a few Mossbergs in the past. I had feeding issues with one that was brand new. For the most part i just didn't like the excess slop in the arm. The 870 just tickles my fancy....my express versions are finished nicely and feel solid.

My brother loves his Mossberg. That is what he started with and has no desire to swicth.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    870 Exp. is the one I chose. But it was hardly cheap. I think I am up over $700 into my build.

It is 100% reliable so far.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have been doing some research on this myself, although I only have I interest in 26" barrel or longer for my pump. I think I am going with the 870 Wingmaster. I really want solid wood stocks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you really want to shoot TRAP then I'd be looking at a semi-auto instead of a pump gun. The second follow up shot often comes pretty fast and those who use a pump action shotgun will be at a disadvantage. Not saying it can't be done or isn't done, but you're better off with a Remington 11-87 semi auto than an 870 pump for trap.

rbhargan

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I will be the first to describe myself as a complete noob. *If* I get into trap shooting I am sure I will be looking into a second shotgun - one that is more geared to that single purpose. For the moment I am just looking to get a HD shotgun with a capacity for other purposes.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments (and welcome any additional ones). I have been reading this forum for a couple of months and have learned a great deal.

Thanks.

jkershner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    An unquiet solace
    I am a huge fan of the Benelli Nova. I have the 28" bbl for trap/skeet/hunting, and for HD, the 18" bbl and +2 mag extension. Great all around shotgun. And it takes 3.5" loads.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The question of bbl interchangeability:

Newer Remington shotguns have a different magazine spring retainer- a crowned cap, that locks in the magtube by having a groove that corresponds to two bumps in the mag tube.
    The bbl then is retained by the actual magazine cap, which has teeth on an inner ring that match up with the spring cap's crown horns.

The old Remingtons used a detent on the bbl band of the bbl, and the magazine cap has pockets to ratchet on the detent. The magazine spring was retained by a cap that fit flush with the magtube, held in place under it's own springyness.

A truly HD model made for an extension mag, has to NOT have the new style dents in the mag tube. Those would stop the shell rims from passing.

So folks are wondering if they can mix and match non detent bbls on older guns that used them.

You can. If using an old bbl on a new non HD system, you mag cap should do the work. If using a new bbl on and old system, just crank the cap down tight and keep an eye on it. That's what my HD rig is.

It's an Express turkey model where the dents have been drilled out and the old style magazine spring retainer used. My bbl does not have a detent, is the one that came with it, and I have NOT had a problem with it coming loose by lack of crown cap or detent.
    I check it often though. I do not run a mag extension, but can if I want. The gun has been flawless for years.

With the short vent rib it makes for a decent backup bird gun.

BTW If using a mag extension, such modification to a newer gun (removal of dents, mag spring retainer change) might not be an issue, since most extensions come with a bbl clamp.

But then quick swap to field bbl and no extension might not be as quick ;)

Top Bottom