• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You can't go cheap and get good results. Your 1.5lb tripod is going to shake when the mirror on your DSLR snaps, giving you a blurry photo. A decent tripod will cost you at least $200.
    Can you recommend a good packable tripod that fits in a backpack and doesn't weigh a ton?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, I just ordered a D5200 Kit with 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. Hopefully it will be here soon to start trying it out.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Been looking at tripods for the last half hour. Wanting something very compact and lightweight without breaking the bank. Right now, the 44" Nikon at 14" folded and a pound and a half seems to fit the bill. Don't want something huge or heavy as it will never get taken out and used when I'm on these trips. Not wanting to drag a bunch of crap around. If that tripod doesn't have a quick release, I plan on buying an adapter. Again, if it's to big of a pain to set up, it won't get used.
    Unless you are looking to do night photography or indoor, without a flash, you don't need to go nuts on a tripod. If you are doing mostly outdoors, daytime stuff, with sub 300mm lenses, I'd go with a nice compact monopod!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Been looking at the Mefoto Roadtrip tripod. It's 3.5# and folds to 15.4" and extends to 61.6". I'd like to have something much better and more expensive but as a lot of the reviews say, the best tripod is the tripod you have with you. The Roadtrip doubles as a monopod as well.

I'm ordering a Vanguard 2go 39 sling case and it has straps to carry a tripod on the side. I don't want to add a ton of weight and have a gargantuan tripod hanging off the side of it. I like the size of the case and think it's the realistic size for traveling. If I hop on a tour bus, I can spin it around and have it on my lap. If I have the camera in the bag and I want a quick picture, I can spin the bag around and get the camera without having to take the pack off or have my wife dig it out for me.

If I really get into photography, I can see getting a high quality full sized tripod but I'm not dragging one of those around Yellowstone.

My camera with the 55-300 lens is around 2.3# so I won't be putting anything super heavy on it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom