• ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    "Dear diary," hell.

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but..."

According to some on here, she is already the victim.

Could you imagine the soapbox to the likes of Gloria Steinem that would happened for the "Penthouse Scenario"?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As you gain a higher and higher level of skill in defense, you can assume more risk.

I'm kinda with JetGirl on this one. But, I do see your point - that you shouldn't go looking for evil, but your first action isn't shoot. I think it comes down to personality more than training.

I'll give this a qualified maybe. What would "the pros" do? You know Ayoob, Vickers, Yager, etc.?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Both sides of the arguement can say what they would have done.
    But, none of us was there.
    The man (woman) on the scene has to make the decision.
    They have to live with the consequences, which apparantly include monday night quarterbacks.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Hey everyone, I just thought of a great way to prevent situations like this.

Don't get drunk off your ass and trespass into a stranger's home in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As you gain a higher and higher level of skill in defense, you can assume more risk.
    If that was poppycock, he still writes beautifully. Now I am not arrogant but magnanimous. Bravo sir bingly! Author! author!
    Being eloquent doesn't equate being "right". In NO way does "more training" mean that you should let ANY situation pose MORE of a threat to you/yours/your fam just because you might have more "training" than you did last week. That's B.S..
    Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or expert at ANYthing, the bottom line is; if you were awakened in the dead of night by somebody (ANYbody) advancing toward you in the pitch black as you are screaming "STOP!!" and trying to get untangled from your blankets...Whatchagonnado?
    Anybody here that says, "Oh, my...I would calmly assess the situation and let the cute drunk girl climb into bed with me" is a liar of the highest degree.
    The entire point of self defense is to continue to minimize risk. Hence, more skill should continue to reduce risk.

Training is a tool to providing more understanding for people to better assess and continue to assess their situation, and evolve in employing better tactics to that end.
    It does NOT mean that you should "assume more risk"...
    There is nothing on God's green earth, no matter HOW much training I ever get, that would persuade me for one second to put my family at any sort of heightened risk level because I thought I was "trained enough".
    That, again, is Beee Essss.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    It does NOT mean that you should "assume more risk"...
    There is nothing on God's green earth, no matter HOW much training I ever get, that would persuade me for one second to put my family at any sort of heightened risk level because I thought I was "trained enough".
    That, again, is Beee Essss.

Did you see me disagreeing with you?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Hey everyone, I just thought of a great way to prevent situations like this.

Don't get drunk off your ass and trespass into a stranger's home in the middle of the night.

^
    This.

Only time I've every looked down the business end of a gun I had it coming, too much to drink and tried opening the wrong door.

I was at least smart enough to throw my hands in the air and walk away slowly... Apologizing like a crying little girl the whole time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I can go head to head with any bunch of yahoos but now I am getting uncomfortable. Let me make this PERFECTLY CLEAR, at no time ever did I say anything inappropriate, suggestive or even blatant about the girl. I am tough enough to carry "arrogant" and "full of myself" even when I never made ANY emotional personal attacks to you people. If you want to suggest that I am perving on the "cute girl" I am throwing that back in your faces.

Jetgirl..... You in particular just quoted me in the same context with - "Anybody here that says, "Oh, my...I would calmly assess the situation and let the cute drunk girl climb into bed with me" is a liar of the highest degree." - Lets all go back and read everything...... I addressed her as a "pixie chick", never any thing more. I really don't see the sexual connotation in a reference to her size and demeanor, and if Pixie chick is disrespectful then that wasn't intended either

The desperate emotional attacks are a pitiful attempt to discredit my opinion, and are indicative of the mental processes of the ones making them. If any one of you uses a weapon with the same emotional decision making skills you will soon find yourself in prison. Those who are telling me that THEY would not be able to stop and think because of their fear and confusion are telling it the way it is and I believe them. The juvenile people who are Lashing out venomously are just waiving their empty guns, they have nothing credible to submit. The "gun bravado" they carry reminds me of 'beer muscles". bravado based on their weapons Is false assessment of their personal prowess.

It is possible for decent people to have differing opinions and for both to be right based on their own life experiences. It is also possible to be casting pearls before swine. Some people just don't have the capacity to understand. neither camp can show us where the girl being sexually available or not came into my assessment of the threat level she presented.

Now look, suggesting me to be a pervert has elicited another rant, how arrogant of me!

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    "Dear diary," hell.

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but..."
    GigityGigity.gif

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That sucks that she got shot, but I certainly don't blame the home-owners for their reaction.

I think the charges she's facing are a bit harsh. I really doubt she had any criminal intent and she got shot...I think the prosecutor(s) should just call it a day and let her go.

Surely the bullet wound in her hip was a lesson learned not to get so ****faced in public.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Jetgirl..... You in particular just quoted me in the same context with - "Anybody here that says, "Oh, my...I would calmly assess the situation and let the cute drunk girl climb into bed with me" is a liar of the highest degree." -
    That's why I said, "ANYBODY here..."
    If "anybody" applies to you, then you are who I'm referring to. If it does not, then move along, for crying out loud.
    The desperate emotional attacks are a pitiful attempt to discredit my opinion
    Desperate emotional attacks? Puhleeze.
    If any one of you uses a weapon with the same emotional decision making skills you will soon find yourself in prison.
    Are you seriously saying that pulling a gun and shooting an intruder _in your bedroom/middle of the night_ is going to land you in prison?
    Oh fer the love o' gawd.
    Are you for real? Or are you trolling??

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    .....but now I am getting uncomfortable.

Perhaps you should then follow your own advice as stated in your earlier thread.

....Let me make this PERFECTLY CLEAR, at no time ever did I say anything inappropriate, suggestive or even blatant about the girl.....

All I saw was a bunch of guys having some fun. I didn't see anyone referencing you. Are you paranoid?

If you wish to stay here, you may consider growing some thicker skin.

Now look, suggesting me to be a pervert has elicited another rant, how arrogant of me!

What you state in jest, may be said by others with conviction.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    By the way, Ted, I forgot to answer you...my bad;

Did you see me disagreeing with you?
    What I was responding to was this part:
    more skill should continue to reduce risk.
    While I understand the concept (and correct me if I'm mistaken), while you seem to mean it as "the more you know, the safer you can be in your reactions to threats", it was stated in a way that seemed to back up Bingly's comment "As you gain a higher and higher level of skill in defense, you can assume more risk"...which has the connotation similar to "I've had training, so now I can walk down the darkest alley in the worst part of the baddest city at 1am."
    If not, then... *shrugs*.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    • Sleeping
    • Dark
    • Intruder
    • Advancing through shouts of "STOP!"=Aggressive behavior
    • Drug use unknown
    • Weapons unknown
    • Accomplices unknown
    1. Are there others?
    2. Are they armed?
    3. Where are they?

Add to this that Orion (the girlfriend) had a restraining order on file for a woman that stalked her and even moved into the same Boulder neighborhood, and you have the makings of some pretty exigent circumstances.

Zoey Ripple, CU grad shot in Boulder home intrusion, 'disappointed' charges will be filed - The Denver Post

Top Bottom