• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Can you really shoot somebody like this? I would have a really hard time shooting a little pixie of a chick, especially an unarmed drunk one. Even if I "feared for my life" (really?) I believe I would send my wife in to slap her **** off. I don't just start shooting, even if I can. What's next, 5 year old girls? I want everyone to school me on why this is a good shoot.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Can you really shoot somebody like this? I would have a really hard time shooting a little pixie of a chick, especially an unarmed drunk one. Even if I "feared for my life" (really?) I believe I would send my wife in to slap her **** off. I don't just start shooting, even if I can. What's next, 5 year old girls? I want everyone to school me on why this is a good shoot.

Consider the totality of the circumstances. There are more unanswered questions, than answers for these people that were awoken out of a sound sleep.

You're in bed, sleeping. Its dark, and a late hour. You are suddenly awakened by a stranger in your bedroom. You don't know what they want, much less anything about that person. Do they have a gun or a knife?

You react to protect your family and move for your handgun. They don't listen to your commands to leave. They move toward you.

Its really easy to play Monday morning quarterback.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Jeremy, thanks for the link to the other thread. Even after I read it all I still stand by my not shooting first attitude. I presume that it was a legal shoot, that don't make it a good shoot. Under these circumstances I could shoot my wife, my dogs, my grown kids, my grand kid, a neighbor, a neighbor kid, a cop, a paramedic, a fireman, even a drunk. Heck there are a zillion people who could be walking around in my house at night. My understanding on shooting a guy is that you must be in fear of your life and for shooting in general you must know your target. I am sure somebody can set me straight. That's why I am here, to learn.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Jeremy, thanks for the link to the other thread. Even after I read it all I still stand by my not shooting first attitude. I presume that it was a legal shoot, that don't make it a good shoot. Under these circumstances I could shoot my wife, my dogs, my grown kids, my grand kid, a neighbor, a neighbor kid, a cop, a paramedic, a fireman, even a drunk. Heck there are a zillion people who could be walking around in my house at night. My understanding on shooting a guy is that you must be in fear of your life and for shooting in general you must know your target. I am sure somebody can set me straight. That's why I am here, to learn.

Apparently my last post didn't sway you in tiniest bit.

There are a number of trainers that have 'Shoot/No Shoot' drills in which you can engage.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI

just because you wont does not mean that that couple did not fear for their life. maybe they are an older couple and not as strong anymore or maybe they had this happen before or to neighbors. the DA said drunk students just walk into houses 12-15 times per year there and it often leads to violence.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My understanding on shooting a guy is that you must be in fear of your life and for shooting in general you must know your target.

Actually, in Indiana, you can also defend your home:
    Indiana Code 35-41-3
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

In your example, most of the folks listed would not be in your home illegally (your friends and family, for instance). In the case of this drunk, she WAS in the home illegally.

So, it turns out that illegally entering someone's home, walking into their bedroom, and CONTINUING into the room after the occupant/homeowner screams at you to leave, is a GREAT way to get shot.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Actually, in Indiana, you can also defend your home:
    Indiana Code 35-41-3

In your example, most of the folks listed would not be in your home illegally (your friends and family, for instance). In the case of this drunk, she WAS in the home illegally.

So, it turns out that illegally entering someone's home, walking into their bedroom, and CONTINUING into the room after the occupant/homeowner screams at you to leave, is a GREAT way to get shot.
    :+1:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    No, ted it didn't sway me a bit. I don't think I need shoot/no shoot training. Would it of been a mistake to not shoot this person? ridiculous! lets take an example. when I entered my neighbors house in the middle of the night uninvited it was to drag his drunk ass off the couch, throw him outside and then to put out the kitchen fire that he set before he sat down in a stupor. It took a full nelson hold to get him out and then a body slam to get him off my back. would he of been justified and legal to shoot me? hell yes, but still a mistake. How about me shooting him? drunk, arson, assault? hell no, I was in his house! I saved his drunken life. and his house and probably a neighbors house as well. I guess that maybe under those circumstances you would shoot me. How about the fireman if he had been quicker? The police came also. they would have done the very same things I did.
    I dont go for my gun any more than I go for a screwdriver or for a fork. they are all tools to be used as appropriate. when I can't slap the crap out of a tiny little girl then I suppose I will use the tool I need. The tool needed here was courage. I don't know why the homeowners were so afraid but they were. It turns out that there was no danger. It was pointed out that the girl got the "stupid prize". However she didn't know that this would happen when she got drunk. No excuse? ok. Now lets look at the homeowners. Afraid in the dark they choose deadly force to protect themselves. Now they find that they have shot an unarmed drunk girl. Anti gunners point them out as typical, Their neighbors are talking as we are. the man probably feels a coward and is ashamed. his wife probably feels horrible. These are also logical ramifications of their decisions, same as the girl. A bad deal all around. Under these conditions I am not prosecuting anyone. people just need to make better decisions. Girls decision, not immediately life thretening. Homeowners decision, immediately life threatening. The guy with the gun was the only one who knew it was a shootout. The higher responsibility is his.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    No, ted it didn't sway me a bit. I don't think I need shoot/no shoot training. Would it of been a mistake to not shoot this person? ridiculous! lets take an example. when I entered my neighbors house in the middle of the night uninvited it was to drag his drunk ass off the couch, throw him outside and then to put out the kitchen fire that he set before he sat down in a stupor. It took a full nelson hold to get him out and then a body slam to get him off my back. would he of been justified and legal to shoot me? hell yes, but still a mistake. How about me shooting him? drunk, arson, assault? hell no, I was in his house! I saved his drunken life. and his house and probably a neighbors house as well. I guess that maybe under those circumstances you would shoot me. How about the fireman if he had been quicker? The police came also. they would have done the very same things I did.
    I dont go for my gun any more than I go for a screwdriver or for a fork. they are all tools to be used as appropriate. when I can't slap the crap out of a tiny little girl then I suppose I will use the tool I need. The tool needed here was courage. I don't know why the homeowners were so afraid but they were. It turns out that there was no danger. It was pointed out that the girl got the "stupid prize". However she didn't know that this would happen when she got drunk. No excuse? ok. Now lets look at the homeowners. Afraid in the dark they choose deadly force to protect themselves. Now they find that they have shot an unarmed drunk girl. Anti gunners point them out as typical, Their neighbors are talking as we are. the man probably feels a coward and is ashamed. his wife probably feels horrible. These are also logical ramifications of their decisions, same as the girl. A bad deal all around. Under these conditions I am not prosecuting anyone. people just need to make better decisions. Girls decision, not immediately life thretening. Homeowners decision, immediately life threatening. The guy with the gun was the only one who knew it was a shootout. The higher responsibility is his.

Heck of a rant, dude.

I imagine with the extrasensory powers that you possess, you can always tell the bad guys from just the stupid.

Hope it doesn't come to bite you in the ass, if and when the time comes that you think you instantly know everything about the entire situation. A dead loved one is a terrible price to pay for that type of arrogance.

Mattmh3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Yeoman
    I agree with Ted. How am I supposed to know they aren't armed. They could have grabbed a knife out of the kitchen or one of my golf clubs out of the garage. I guess I should let them stab or bash in our heads before I fire? :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    "A dead loved one is a terrible price to pay for that type of arrogance"
    Ted, listen to yourself! a dead loved one is the reason I don't a want to shoot right away. Arrogance? really? Territorial imperitive is not justification for deadly force in my opinion. Am I arrogant to have an opinion? Ok, my shoulders are strong enough to carry that load..... I guess I am arrogant.
    The only extrasensory powers I have are courage and control. I have been in several shoot/don't shoot situations in my long life. I have learned that it's better to know the situation than not. Sure I am at risk by being slow to shoot, but you and the general public are both safer for this. That is where a small bit of courage is necessary. I don't carry a gun because I walk in fear. I carry one for the same reason I carry a folding razor knife, my wallet and my cell phone. They are only tools to help me with daily problems. The homeowners were legally justified, hence no charges to them. Still it was a mistake. Hindsight? sure, but preventable with a little bit of courage.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    "A dead loved one is a terrible price to pay for that type of arrogance"
    Ted, listen to yourself! a dead loved one is the reason I don't a want to shoot right away. Arrogance? really? Territorial imperitive is not justification for deadly force in my opinion. Am I arrogant to have an opinion? Ok, my shoulders are strong enough to carry that load..... I guess I am arrogant.
    The only extrasensory powers I have are courage and control. I have been in several shoot/don't shoot situations in my long life. I have learned that it's better to know the situation than not. Sure I am at risk by being slow to shoot, but you and the general public are both safer for this. That is where a small bit of courage is necessary. I don't carry a gun because I walk in fear. I carry one for the same reason I carry a folding razor knife, my wallet and my cell phone. They are only tools to help me with daily problems. The homeowners were legally justified, hence no charges to them. Still it was a mistake. Hindsight? sure, but preventable with a little bit of courage.
    If you enter into my home and wander around it uninvited, one should be prepared for several events to happen. The first thing is a 110 pound Trained German Shepherd will be meeting you. If he fails to inspire into you that you are in the wrong house, you should expect to meet me with a firearm about to do you greivous harm...

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    It turns out that there was no danger.

And that is the winning sentence in the rant. Super crystal ball powers always seem to work better the day after the event.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Under these circumstances I could shoot my wife said:
    I would think, of the zillion possible persons you listed, most would identify themselves when you called out. In most cases, those same people would stop, when you say stop. In my case, everyone knows I'm armed, and coming through the bedroom door unannounced, is a really bad idea. But then, I keep my doors locked, and my dogs alert to anything that moves outside. If you really think you have zillions of people that could be in your house at night, you should think about securing your home a little better. If you think you could mistake your wife for an intruder, you've got some serious communications /evening awareness issues that need resolved.

Top Bottom