drug testing welfare recipients violates 4th Amendment???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    A good friend of mine got wrapped up in the drug trade in Tulsa while in college. He said one of the main currencies used were EBT cards I think that says something about the welfare state. I don't know what the fix would be as there are many people that need it and more that abuse it but I'm sure if the .gov truly wanted it fixed it could do so. I feel the system should be controlled and funded by the State. The system should go back to gov distributed food and not Walmart, housing credits and utility credits no cash credits. Make the system less desirable and people will get off it.
    As far as drug testing I think you would just create a layer of corruption. Oh looks like you failed the test give me XXX amount of money and I'll pass this on through for you. The test would have to be completely randomized throughout the month otherwise people will just "clean up" before check pickup day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You don't repay welfare like you do student loans.

I could care less, if they're supposed to repay, or not. They're still getting money from the govt. If they want a loan, get it from a bank. I went to college on partial scholarships, and working my butt off stocking at Target at night. At the very least, students that receive govt money should be in a work-study progam. And if I was running things, for welfare recipients to collect, a bus would "collect" their butts 5 days a week and put them to work.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A good friend of mine got wrapped up in the drug trade in Tulsa while in college. He said one of the main currencies used were EBT cards I think that says something about the welfare state. I don't know what the fix would be as there are many people that need it and more that abuse it but I'm sure if the .gov truly wanted it fixed it could do so. I feel the system should be controlled and funded by the State. The system should go back to gov distributed food and not Walmart, housing credits and utility credits no cash credits. Make the system less desirable and people will get off it.
    As far as drug testing I think you would just create a layer of corruption. Oh looks like you failed the test give me XXX amount of money and I'll pass this on through for you. The test would have to be completely randomized throughout the month otherwise people will just "clean up" before check pickup day.

That's true. While I can't speak on the drugs. It wasn't uncommon for food stamp recipients to sell their stamps to hungry students for cash... typically $1 for every $2 in stamps (sometimes as 1-5).

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I could care less, if they're supposed to repay, or not. They're still getting money from the govt. If they want a loan, get it from a bank. I went to college on partial scholarships, and working my butt off stocking at Target at night. At the very least, students that receive govt money should be in a work-study progam. And if I was running things, for welfare recipients to collect, a bus would "collect" their butts 5 days a week and put them to work.
    :+1:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

But we only want to punish the poor, not middle class or rich.

I would be fine with drug testing anyone that gets gubmint money, college students, farmers, corporate boards, etc.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm all for it! This question was on a recent legislative survey we received. If you have money for drugs then you don't need assistance in my opinion. And I'm pro legalizing a lot of drugs.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I could care less, if they're supposed to repay, or not.

But isn't that the crux of people's beef with welfare - people getting something ($$$) for nothing (work)?

With student loans you aren't getting something for nothing from Uncle Sugar - that money gets repaid, with interest.

If you don't think the government should be in the lending business, that is a fair discussion. But to compare student loan recipients with welfare recipients is just ignorant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....If you have money for drugs then you don't need assistance in my opinion....

If that's the standard, why stop at drugs? Let's cut off assistance for anyone with a TV. Anyone with too new a car. Anyone with too many clothes. Anyone with too nice of shoes.

I'm all for reforming welfare to provide a basic level of help for the truly needy, but at that point, I'm not a fan of persecuting one person with a specific weakness over others. If the point of drug testing is to help people get treatment to get off drugs and improve their lives to the point they don't need help, fine. That makes sense. Taking those with a real problem and making them more desperate doesn't seem productive.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think it's a question of necessity versus choice. When you take a plane somewhere, you have other options if you don't want a TSA screening. When you need welfare to eat, that's not really a choice. At least, it's intended to be that way. As for a drug screen being a violation of rights, I think that's a really thick grey line. We're all asked on the NICS form if we're drug users. How would we react if we had to pee in a cup to prove it to buy a firearm? We argue that it's a right to defend life. Why couldn't they argue that welfare is required to sustain life?

I think drug testing welfare recipients is a good thing. I've seen too many pot dealers making a lot of cash, working part time, and all of us paying half their rent and for all of their groceries. I think the simple way to look at it is, is government assistance a right? I don't think it is, so therefore, I don't think it's a violation of their 4th amendment rights to submit for a drug test if they choose participate.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If the point of drug testing is to help people get treatment to get off drugs and improve their lives to the point they don't need help, fine.
    If they wanted treatment they could get that for free as well. I'm just tired of footing the bill so they can lay on the couch high on my dime.

Get a ****ing job. If they are truly physically or mentally handicapped, then fine...they may truly need assistance. But you're going to do *something* to earn it. And you're not going to do it stoned.

Life is hard. Get a helmet.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Around this neck of the woods the only thing more valuable than an EBT card is the pain pills people get from the doctor that gets billed to the medical card that you get when you qualify for food stamps. Vicious circle

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But isn't that the crux of people's beef with welfare - people getting something ($$$) for nothing (work)?

With student loans you aren't getting something for nothing from Uncle Sugar - that money gets repaid, with interest.

If you don't think the government should be in the lending business, that is a fair discussion. But to compare student loan recipients with welfare recipients is just ignorant.

The govt SHOULDN'T be giving out loans. They should keep their hands out of our collective pockets. Banks should be handing pout loans, not govt.

Sorry bro, I find subsidizing someone else's education with govt money, slightly better than welfare. And at the rate that students default (which is increasing), the gap is lessening.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    What about those that get free take home cars at taxpayer expense?

And those that get free medical care for life after 20 years of military service. That would sure clean out the VA hospital, wouldn't it?

Those are perks of the job if you want a take home car go be a cop or other state employee that gets a take home car. If you want free health care give 20 years of your life to serve your country or be a Senator. All known perks of the jobs mentioned.
    I'm sure if you work at KFC you get all the fried chicken you want too.
    Hmmm maybe I need to get a job at a bacon factory.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Those are perks of the job if you want a take home car go be a cop or other state employee that gets a take home car. If you want free health care give 20 years of your life to serve your country or be a Senator. All known perks of the jobs mentioned.
    I'm sure if you work at KFC you get all the fried chicken you want too.
    Hmmm maybe I need to get a job at a bacon factory.

We're drug tested

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I'm no legal scholar, but I don't see anything wrong with entering a contractual agreement. If the paperwork for signing up to receive welfare included random testing...if you sign it, you agree to it. What would be the big deal?
    Excellent point, I didn't think of it from a contract standpoint.

Top Bottom