• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    If Alaska is so liberal, why can't I carry in a bar there? Here in Indiana I can roll out the barrel, cover myself in green jello and carry 3 guns if I so wish.

:cheers:

YouTube - Power To The People - Denis Leary Speaks...

LOL yeah I hear ya, but it is pretty laxed. I don't need a permit to carry, I can carry everywhere except schools, bars and federal/state buildings. But there are some wierd laws. Like truck gun racks are illegal, not sure why.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Not sure the rules in Indiana but in Alaska, one of the most liberal carry States in the Union, it is illegal to carry in a bar. Alaska has a lot of drunks, so I think this is a great law. Being a family man I don't go to the bar anymore, but if I eat at Applebee's or something I will drink a beer with my meal while carrying. Even that may be a bad thing. The way things are now, it's so hard to defend yourself without legal BS being an issue, so even one drink could make it worse. It all comes down to risk assessment. Is that drink really worth the potential legal ramifications? Will having that drink impaire my ability to think clearly, shoot straight and defend myself or my family? These are all questions that each individual must answer for themselves. The bad part about some laws, is that they have grey areas and even if something isn't illegal it still may be used against you.

Why is it a great law? what if i'm a DD and want to carry? what if i only have 2 beers and want to carry? what if i want to carry if i have 5 beers?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

I don't see anything about bar carry, so can we conclude that 2nd amendment rights don't end at bars?

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Why is it a great law? what if i'm a DD and want to carry? what if i only have 2 beers and want to carry? what if i want to carry if i have 5 beers?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

I don't see anything about bar carry, so can we conclude that 2nd amendment rights don't end at bars?

Your argument should include schools and federal/state buildings too. It's a shame that these restrictions need to be in place but sometimes they do. It's your right to keep and bear arms but it's also your duty to carry responsibly. Most, and I say most not all, go to a bar for one reason... to drink. So if that's what you want to do then just don't carry, simple to me. I think it's funny that so many preach the 2 amendment but they are the first ones to judge and criticize others who carry improperly, according to their own opinion. Of course since the 2 amendment is vauge it will always be interpreted differently by people.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Your argument should include schools and federal/state buildings too. It's a shame that these restrictions need to be in place but sometimes they do. It's your right to keep and bear arms but it's also your duty to carry responsibly. Most, and I say most not all, go to a bar for one reason... to drink. So if that's what you want to do then just don't carry, simple to me. I think it's funny that so many preach the 2 amendment but they are the first ones to judge and criticize others who carry improperly, according to their own opinion. Of course since the 2 amendment is vauge it will always be interpreted differently by people.

Schools and federal buildings are federal law. No bar carry in Alaska is a state law. Not everybody who drinks drinks to get trashed. You're right about carrying responsibly, which is why an individual should be able to decide when and when not to carry. If bar owners want to ban guns in their bar, fine, but it shouldn't come from the state.

Search my post history if you'd like but i've never criticized the way anyone legally carries. For the record I routinely pocket carry a G21.

what is vauge about "the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

didn't think that would have to be explained to somebody on a gun rights forum.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's a shame that these restrictions need to be in place but sometimes they do. It's your right to keep and bear arms but it's also your duty to carry responsibly. Most, and I say most not all, go to a bar for one reason... to drink. So if that's what you want to do then just don't carry, simple to me. I think it's funny that so many preach the 2 amendment but they are the first ones to judge and criticize others who carry improperly, according to their own opinion. Of course since the 2 amendment is vauge it will always be interpreted differently by people.

It's a shame that our government thinks they can legislate 'common sense' and trample over the Constitution while doing so.

Most, and I say most not all, go to a bar for one reason... to drink. So if that's what you want to do then just don't carry, simple to me.

While I agree with you that most go to drink, what about the designated drivers who tag along - should they be barred their rights for DOING the responsible thing? Perhaps designated drivers should stay home?

I would add that if someone were irresponsible enough to get totally sh*tfaced and cause mayhem, what would make you think they would be anymore responsible in any other portion of their lives (such as driving & child rearing). That being the case, wouldn't it make sense that they wouldn't necessarily follow the law anyway and you'd just be keeping the law abiding from carrying in that establishment?

Of course since the 2 amendment is vauge it will always be interpreted differently by people.

The amendment is one of the least vague out there. Shall not be Infringed is about as clear as it gets......that is to common folk. Now the 'ruling class' seems to think it is vague so they can justify infringing it - and that part is utterly clear.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I agree, schools and federal buildings should not be off limits. But part of your argument sounds a lot like the "antis" If you want to carry a firearm do it on your own property. Just don't leave your property, sounds simple to me. Yes I have heard that one.

And I may have judged or criticized others, such as I posted in the where did you see "bad" oc thread. But while in my opinion it wasn't the best way to carry, I don't think there should be a law preventing the person from doing it that way.

I also don't see what is so vague about A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Schools and federal buildings are federal law. No bar carry in Alaska is a state law. Not everybody who drinks drinks to get trashed. You're right about carrying responsibly, which is why an individual should be able to decide when and when not to carry. If bar owners want to ban guns in their bar, fine, but it shouldn't come from the state.

Federal buildings are federal law, schools when you have a license issued by the state is state law. Federal law prohibits firearms within 1000 ft of school property, unless unloaded and encased or in a locked gun rack affixed to a motor vehicle, unless you are licensed by the state or political subdivision thereof. And there are a few other exceptions.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I agree, schools and federal buildings should not be off limits. But part of your argument sounds a lot like the "antis" If you want to carry a firearm do it on your own property. Just don't leave your property, sounds simple to me. Yes I have heard that one.

And I may have judged or criticized others, such as I posted in the where did you see "bad" oc thread. But while in my opinion it wasn't the best way to carry, I don't think there should be a law preventing the person from doing it that way.

I also don't see what is so vague about A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Federal buildings are federal law, schools when you have a license issued by the state is state law. Federal law prohibits firearms within 1000 ft of school property, unless unloaded and encased or in a locked gun rack

I am not even close to being anti gun. I didn't serve this Country so the Government or anyone could trample on everything thsat makes this Country great. When I say it's vague I mean it's vague to those that are anti. Lets look at the part that says the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say the right to bear arms anywhere and everywhere, all it says is we can bear them. If it wasn't vague than there wouldn't be so many attempts to bend it. Maybe I am being a hypocrite by saying I think carrying into a bar is a bad thing and if I am oh well. Even when I was deployed in a combat zone we were not authorized to carry a loaded weapon into the chow hall. Just because something is legal or even a right doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do. It's just my opinion and that doesn't mean much so we can agree to disagree.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I say it's vague I mean it's vague to those that are anti.

If that was your intent then you really made that vague in your post. Clear as mud :)

BTW, thanks for your service. You'll find a good percentage of the people here have also served their country.

It doesn't say the right to bear arms anywhere and everywhere, all it says is we can bear them.

The Constitution also doesn't specify that you have 1st Amendment rights anywhere and everywhere. So does that mean that the government can keep me from practicing my religion wherever you feel like?

The logic you are employing is the same logic being drilled into our heads at public schools.

Let me see if I can explain this succinctly......have you heard the 'can't yell fire in a movie theater' argument that many use to justify infringing the RKBA? It's the same argument they use for infringing every amendment in the Bill of Rights. Essentially weakening individual freedoms in favor of government knows best (used by progressive liberals, but taught virtually everywhere without much thought to why).

Those same folks give you a blank stare when you answer that you also cannot 'shoot a gun in a movie theater.' The eyes start doing this :n00b:

What is being left out of the puzzle is that they do not understand the role of government that our founders envisioned and why are Constitution was written. They reason that all rights can be constrained by government. In fact, many politicians believe government can do whatever it wants to do - those same politicians are going to be losing their jobs soon.

What they are missing is that in a free nation, government has no authority to constrain my 1st Amendment right of free speech because I might yell 'fire'......AND it follows that it has no authority to keep me from bearing my firearm in public (or bar if you wish) because I might shoot an innocent victim.

Government is there to assure that the full force of the law can be brought against me if I place people in danger by yelling fire in a movie theater, or if I discharge my weapon in that same theater. Basically government is there to apply the full force of law as a deterrent in order that I don't violate other people's rights; it's not there to deny me those very rights for fear I might misuse them.

If this were not the case, government could cut out your tongue to keep you from expressing your opinion because you might misuse your free speech rights to incite insurrection. (see many 20th Century dictatorships)

If it wasn't vague than there wouldn't be so many attempts to bend it. Maybe I am being a hypocrite by saying I think carrying into a bar is a bad thing and if I am oh well. Even when I was deployed in a combat zone we were not authorized to carry a loaded weapon into the chow hall. Just because something is legal or even a right doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do. It's just my opinion and that doesn't mean much so we can agree to disagree.

I believe the reason the RKBA and other rights have been stripped is because opportunistic politicians have convinced a 'historically ignorant' society that more regulations will improve their lives. Most folks don't even realize the Constitution has been under assault for several generations. Little by little rights have been wittled down to where freedom has been sacrificed for 'feel good' policies. In reality, all that does is solidify the government's power - not your well being or freedoms.

I agree with your opinion on one thing, I don't think it's a good idea to carry into a bar if you are planning to get loaded. However, your opinion & mine are just that. The role of Government is to apply the force of law to those who do something to violate our rights, otherwise they have no business getting involved. A guy carrying a gun in a bar who wants to get loaded is not violating our rights.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When I say it's vague I mean it's vague to those that are anti. Lets look at the part that says the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say the right to bear arms anywhere and everywhere, all it says is we can bear them. If it wasn't vague than there wouldn't be so many attempts to bend it. Maybe I am being a hypocrite by saying I think carrying into a bar is a bad thing and if I am oh well.

I disagree, I believe it is very clear to the antis, they just don't like it and/or agree with it. And yes it does say we have the right to bear arms anywhere and everywhere. At least in regards to laws prohibiting it. Any law regulating where and when I can carry is an infringement. And it states very clearly "Shall not be infringed"

And I don't think you are a hypocrite for saying you think carrying into a bar is a bad thing. Just like my thinking that a guy with what I assumed to be a loaded 1911 with the grip safety rubber banded down just stuck in a back pocket is a bad thing. You would be one imo, if you approve of the law. Same as I would be if I thought there should be a law or approved of one that made that persons carry illegal.

You have the right to try and convince people that they shouldn't carry in a bar, or try and convince the bar owner that he shouldn't allow it. But IMO you do not have the right to have the gov enforce your opinion on others that don't share it.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I worked bingo at Izaak Walton last night. When we were done cleaning up, we all enjoyed some adult beverages. I was pocket carrying my LCP. I also checked out a friends P90.

No one got hurt and I made it home safe.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I worked bingo at Izaak Walton last night. When we were done cleaning up, we all enjoyed some adult beverages. I was pocket carrying my LCP. I also checked out a friends P90.

No one got hurt and I made it home safe.

On the same note, I was out having dinner with the wifey, Fri before last. And I had an adult beverage with my meal.:eek: I was OC a pistol and amazingly I didn't go on a drunken rampage and start shooting up the place. Probably because our waitress was the bomb and I couldn't of asked for a better one. But if she would of been slow refilling my water :ar15:

Or several months ago for a more extreme example, I was at the bar. And I was carrying. And I wasn't a DD. I was there to :40oz: and shoot some pool and have some fun. I'm not sure how it happened :scratch: but yet again I didn't :draw:. I even got a bit tipsy.

And as for checking out your friends P90, I had a family member at my house a couple of months ago, I was :alcoholic:but not:buddies:and he asked a question about one of my firearms. As luck would have it, it was about a foot or so from my hand and loaded at the time. So I picked it up it and verified that it was unloaded visually and manually, handed it to him with the slide locked back. He just about :eek::nailbite::runaway:. And told me I shouldn't handle firearms if I had been drinking or have them in easy reach. I asked him if I violated any of the 4 rules or handled it in an unsafe manner in anyway other than having alcohol in my system. He just repeated the "it's bad" comment. So I asked him again. And he responded, so I asked again and.... You see where this is going. He never came up with how I violated any safety rules other than I had alcohol in my system.

Oh and I have had an adult beverage or two and currently have a loaded firearm within easy reach as I type this.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    This is a question where the person needs to ask themselves...

Can I enjoy an adult beverage and remain in control of myself?

If the answer is no, then you probably shouldn't be drinking in public to begin with.

Did you do right? That's your call, not ours.

This. :dunno: It comes down to making a choice. Put yourself in a situation where you're in a crowded public setting, unarmed, and altering your state of being, or forego the alcohol. It's an individual choice and the answer will vary from person to person. If you can't remain in control of yourself while drinking then by all means lock the firearm in the vehicle, or don't drink. If you can remain in control of yourself, by all means enjoy your beer and still have the means to defend yourself. :twocents:

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I'll get my drink on while I carry, I know my limits. But when I wanna get sh*t hammered, I leave my gun where I can get to it, because wearing it just feels like a bad situation waiting to happen. That and when I drink good ol Jim Beam I'm 8 feet tall and can open a serious can of whoopass. The responsible person, I think, would come to this equation: me + sh*thammered + gun= bad idea all around.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom