• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not Prometheus and I'm not going to answer yes or no for the most part, but I will attempt to answer your questions.

Prometheus,

Answer the below YES, or NO.

Q: Would you be ok if your wife,etc was shot accidentally by someone who was drunk. YES, or NO.

No, but then I wouldn't be okay if my wife was shot by anyone accidentally, drunk or not.

Q: At the range, is alcohol consumption allowed?

Depending on the range most/all public ranges No, but I have been to a private range or three that it was allowed.

Q: At the range- Are you shooting in extremely low light?

Yes

Q: At the range- Are those pop-up targets shooting back at you?

Nope, but if the targets are shooting at me more the reason to have a gun. You don't bring a knife to a gunfight don't ya know :)

Q: At the range- If you do "miss" your target, Is there a very real chance of hitting a innocent bystander? as would happen at a crowded bar?

Nope, but then again there is a very real chance of hitting an innocent bystander in any crowded place.

Q: At a bar, under low light conditions in which during a gunfight people (not you as you're super cool and a dead shot) would panic, start running around, jumping/diving as shown in the above video would you bet the life of your first born child that you could be assured to hit ONLY the bad guy?

I wouldn't bet the life of any of my children in any situation. Drinking or not. Would you?

Q: Does drinking impair judgement, reaction time?

Depends on the amount.

Q: Do you drink and drive? Are you ok with people operating on average a 4,000lb projectile that is traveling 60mph+/- on a narrow two-lane road that is inches away from a vehicle in which your wife and child are on board? Wife's vehicle traveling @ 60, and the drunks vehicle traveling at 60?

Again depends on the amount. I have no problem with having a drink and driving. I'm actually pretty capable of driving safely at over the legal limit. You I have no idea about but for myself I know.

Q: Getting back to firearms.... Would you be willing to bet the life of your wife/son, etc to someone that had been "drinking" if your wife was in close proximity to the "bad" guy.

If it was a choice of taking the shot or them being killed, yes absolutely. Especially if it was me taking the shot.

Q: Would you bet the life of your wife/son that others in the bar be as "responsible" as you claim you are?

Nope but then again I wouldn't bet any of my families life on anyone else.

For answering your questions I just have one for you, please answer Yes or No. Have your stopped beating your girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other etc?

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    To me, this issue is very simple. The 2nd Amendment does NOT say "...shall not be infringed as long as you're sober." So people should be able to feel free to drink and carry. Now, that said, if that person does something stupid and ends up going to prison, or gets sued, or gets himself killed, then that's the way it goes sometimes when you do stupid things. Those are the proper remedies; taking away MY rights because of SOMEONE ELSE'S stupidity is not the proper way. That's the approach the gun banners use.

Flitmob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Here is my two cents, I NEVER carry or am around guns when I drink. I dont care if I have had 1 beer or 10. The problem I have is the risk of needing the gun. I feel like if I was drinking and needed it and used it I would be in a lot of trouble. If a LEO suspected I had one beer and it went into the police report, I would be screwed.... in civil court. That person's family would come after me for everything I have.
    I usually go out in broad ripple and count on Indianapolis' Finest to look after me for the night. There is no reason to drink and carry, ever. If you are going to a bar or other establishment where you feel like you have to carry a gun stay sober or go somewhere where you feel reasonably safe.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To me, this issue is very simple. The 2nd Amendment does NOT say "...shall not be infringed as long as you're sober." So people should be able to feel free to drink and carry. Now, that said, if that person does something stupid and ends up going to prison, or gets sued, or gets himself killed, then that's the way it goes sometimes when you do stupid things. Those are the proper remedies; taking away MY rights because of SOMEONE ELSE'S stupidity is not the proper way. That's the approach the gun banners use.
    You are correct; the 2A does not specify sobriety. The understanding our Founders had was that while you have rights, you also have responsibilities in how you use them.
    Yes, you MAY carry while drinking. Even in the days of the Revolutionary War, entering a tavern meant you emptied your weapon first. No law mandated it, people just did it.

Just because you may doesn't mean you should.

Blessings,
    Bill

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You are correct; the 2A does not specify sobriety. The understanding our Founders had was that while you have rights, you also have responsibilities in how you use them.
    Yes, you MAY carry while drinking. Even in the days of the Revolutionary War, entering a tavern meant you emptied your weapon first. No law mandated it, people just did it.

Just because you may doesn't mean you should.

Blessings,
    Bill

:yesway::yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You are using the word judgment in two different contexts and expecting no one to call you out on it?

This is the internet, I expect that people will have all sorts of their own interpretations of the exact same writings. I also think that people have to take responsibility for their actions when out in public. If anyone feels that they can drink responsibly and carry a weapon, I have no fundamental issue with that, but if they act irresponsibly then they can and should be held accountable. It's a proven fact that alcohol alters judgement and reactions and mood. Some people can compensate just fine and have a pretty good ability to stop when they've reached the limits of compensation, others cannot.

In the case of the OP, I applaud his decisions. Carrying a weapon incurs a large degree of responsibility, and if one should end up in a shooting situation where it was determined that a lack of good judgment leads to it being deemed a bad shoot, and if alcohol may play a part in that then I believe the shooter should rightly be held accountable. When that is balanced by the OP being in a relatively low risk environment, making his decision to lock up his weapon is one I will support him on, unlike some of the folks here who've derided him for it. As many have said, it is a personal decision and it was his to make.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    For someone to be able to get my pistol would have taken a lot more than your average junkie looking for a quick fix type of crook. The gunvault is attached inside the car and would need extensive time to remove.

To the other comments, I appreciate it. I do drink on occasion, and yes I have carried after drinking one 12 oz beer, I personally dont have a problem with that. As for being at a bar, we were are at a pretty nice place in a pretty nice part of town, but we all know crap happens everywhere. As for not knowing limits, etc. I do know my limit, and having a 32oz XX was my limit. I rarely go out drinking anymore, we usually walk 2 doors down to out neighbors house or they walk up to our house, and we drink at home. That way we avoid any hassles that happens when you go out drinking.

INGunGuy

Exactly why I would not/do not unarm myself.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Q: When you're at the range, Is it allowable for those that have been drinking to fire , be handling live weapons on the range?

Q: What would happen from a legal perspective if someone was injured at the range by someone who had been drinking?

Q: For Prometheus , When I use the wording "drinking" I mean Drinking in which the person becomes legally intoxicated. You keep on saying you know your limit, blah, blah blah... Thing is at a bar YOU have NO way of controlling how many drinks others may be consuming beyond those in your party. Others may be over the limit that are packing.

When you are legally intoxicated.
    It is a known fact your thought processes and analytical skills are impaired.

Alcohol alters your ability to make decisions and judgments. Even a small amount slows reflexes.

If you are involved in a shooting samples of your blood, urine, etc will be taken and that will be used against you in court.

If one of the rounds from your weapon injures, maims, or kills someone (especially a bystander) the jury will look at you just like they would a DRUNK DRIVER that has killed someone, even if you are below the limit as most people think that firearms and alcohol don't mix.

Q: Say for example someone had due to their being intoxicated had shot your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter/ boyfriend in a Bar shoot-out.... killing or maiming them....

Would you say "Hey, that's OK, poor guy couldn't hold his liquor... he should have known better.... or would you pursue legal action against them?

Would you press charges /seek payment for medical or burial costs of your loved one?

As a response to your comment in red, regardless of my decision to carry and drink or to not carry and drink in a bar the above statement is true and has no bearing on whether I can/should carry and drink. You can't control anyone except for yourself and some cant even do that on their own. Your point is moot.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I may see things a little different than others, but the not drinking at the shooting range where shooting IS taking place is completely different than having a holstered gun at someplace where alcohol is being RESPONSIBLY consumed.

As someone pointed out not carrying when going to Broad Ripple, he may want to rethink that, as it has been pointed out on the news that there have been multiple cases where people have been being preyed on after leaving the bars in the late evening in The Ripple.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I carry if I am going out to have a few drinks, nothing wrong with it and the law agrees with me. It just sits in the holster and I don't get trashed. Self control. Self control. Self control, thats the issue. If your not a big enough boy to have a few drinks and keep your head on then you should turn in your Glass mug or bottle for a sippy cup cuz you might hurt yourself if you trip. (not aimed at any one person). I have never had an issue with carrying and having a few drinks and have seen others carrying while at a bar or restaurant, no one was shot. No one drew a weapon. Its all about knowing your limits.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    You did the right thing! I need a gun vault in my vehicle. I've been in the same situation, and worry about my gun locked up in my vehicle the whole time. Glad you could enjoy yourself.:cheers:

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I drink while I carry but its usually at home or at a friends house where I know everyone and there wont be any problems. I'm not really big on bars or nightclubs because you never know how much someone else has had to drink and how they handle their liquor. Its always best IMO to avoid places where the chances of confrontation can occur alcohol involved or not.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I believe in personal responsibility. I also believe in my rights. Very strongly.

Just because someone's drinking, doesn't mean he loses the right to defend himself. I don't care if he's plastered, sh**faced, puking falling-down drunk. The 2nd Am. doesn't say "...shall not be infringed unless you're drunk..."

If he does something stupid with his firearm because he's drunk, then that's on him. His series of bad choices led to whatever happens next to him. That might include life in prison, or me shooting his stupid a**. To answer a prior question posted, of course I wouldn't be 'okay' with some drunk guy shooting my wife by accident. That question is asinine. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a stupider question ever posted on the internet in my life.

I'm simply not in favor of infringing on someone's right to carry a firearm just because he might abuse that right by being stupid.

Honestly, some people around here are way too happy to infringe on the rights of others in order to provide themselves with the illusion of a little safety. Too many people in this world are just afraid of freedom and liberty.

By the way, I almost never drink, and I NEVER get drunk. I did enough of that as a much younger man.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So should I have forgone the beer and had 100% of my wits because I was in care and control of a firearm. Or, the act of locking the gun in the car was separating myself from the firearm, and thus allowing me to drink if I so desire.

INGunGuy

Separating yourself is more than enough. If you aren't responsible enough to drink without running out to your car to pull a gun on somebody, then you aren't responsible enough to carry.

You did the right thing, don't stress.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know we preach all the time about carrying and drinking

Ummm, no, we don't.

Follow the Dirty Harry Doctrine: a man has to know his limitations.

If you are going out to get blasted with your buddies, leave the gun at home.

If I am having a beer with my dinner, I'm going to carry.

My limiit was two but after they shot me so full of steroids that I slosh, I don't drink anymore. Oh, well, everyone gets so many drinks in their life, I just used mine early.:D

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Not sure the rules in Indiana but in Alaska, one of the most liberal carry States in the Union, it is illegal to carry in a bar. Alaska has a lot of drunks, so I think this is a great law. Being a family man I don't go to the bar anymore, but if I eat at Applebee's or something I will drink a beer with my meal while carrying. Even that may be a bad thing. The way things are now, it's so hard to defend yourself without legal BS being an issue, so even one drink could make it worse. It all comes down to risk assessment. Is that drink really worth the potential legal ramifications? Will having that drink impaire my ability to think clearly, shoot straight and defend myself or my family? These are all questions that each individual must answer for themselves. The bad part about some laws, is that they have grey areas and even if something isn't illegal it still may be used against you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom