• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    I have been looking at Romak Dragunovs lately, but I currently own a Bushmaster Predator. I have some questions that maybe you folks can answer. Which would be more accurate at a longer range 500 to 600 yards? I would have to sell my Predator to fund a Dragunov project. I have also read that the Dragunov's can't handle anything over 150gr bullet, that it is to hard on the bolt and receiver. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The romak's tend to be roughly a 2 MOA rifle. They will carry more hit power at 500-600 yards, but you are far more likely to miss with one. The ergonomics are also very different even from an AK. They are fun, but not in the same level of quality as your preditor.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The PSL (they're not really Dragunovs at all) would be a BIG step down from the BM Predator in almost every respect, IMO. Don't do it!

+1. My PSL was a huge dissappointment and lasted 1 month in the collection and was sold. Not a bad rifle, but not a great one either. The PSL is just a long AK firing the 7.62x54r - nothing more.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I have a lot time on the Dragunov. The Dragunov/SVD is not a sniper rifle in the traditional respects. The USSR was a heavily mechanized military. The SVD was designed as what we now refer to as a squad designated marksman rifle. The old Ruskie MTOE had one "sniper" per squad. The SVD was implemented to fill the gap between 300m which at the time was considered the max effective range of an infantryman, and 5/600m plus that is the snipers domain. It was never intended to be what longriflers refer to as a precission rifle. It is a well designed, acccurate robust and reliable rifle. Unfortunatly the same design features that make it rubust and reliable prevent it from being capable of the type of precission a sniper needs. I wouldn't sell anything but if you find one at a good price pick it up, their fun.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have a lot time on the Dragunov. The Dragunov/SVD is not a sniper rifle in the traditional respects. The USSR was a heavily mechanized military. The SVD was designed as what we now refer to as a squad designated marksman rifle. The old Ruskie MTOE had one "sniper" per squad. The SVD was implemented to fill the gap between 300m which at the time was considered the max effective range of an infantryman, and 5/600m plus that is the snipers domain. It was never intended to be what longriflers refer to as a precission rifle. It is a well designed, acccurate robust and reliable rifle. Unfortunatly the same design features that make it rubust and reliable prevent it from being capable of the type of precission a sniper needs. I wouldn't sell anything but if you find one at a good price pick it up, their fun.

I agree and might sell an AR to buy an SVD, the real kind. But the PSL is not an SVD having a different action and from all reports a less quality result.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IBut the PSL is not an SVD having a different action and from all reports a less quality result.

Not to mention that dorky and un-ergonomic thumbhole stock, and typical Romanian build quality and finish (or lack thereof). :noway:

A Century PSL is to a Russian SVD as a WASR-10 is to a real AK-103. :):

The PSL might be an interesting piece to have in the collection and muck around with, but I certainly wouldn't advise selling a good rifle to get one.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think this is an apples to oranges comparison and no argument can realy be made here. On this one I think it's eithe you want an AR platformed rifle or an AK based.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom