• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Hey guys, new here, but have some questions on your opinions on semi auto 7.62x54r long guns... primarily the dragunov or like dragunovs (PSL's, VEPR, etc). I remember bradis having a dragunov for the longest time, then of course, when the scare happened, it disappeared quicker than toilet paper in a womens restroom. Basically, right now, I see the prices of dragunov's being much higher than the other semi auto 7.62x54r's. Out of all the variants, which would you choose and why?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I just sold my PSL and picked up a VEPR.

Other than a Drag or NDM-86 I think I'm set in 54R semi.

Pics next week.

Nice!
    Honestly, I don't care which variant I pick up... i just want one. I have 1600+rds of 54r and need something to scratch this itch i have on my right shoulder that only 54r can get to.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I prefer this.

IMG_1173.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    PSLs have been going up for a while since the imports have stopped. I bought mine a few years back for like $600. Before the panic they were $1000, now they are $1500 or more. Mags are also super expensive. I was paying $20 or $25 each and now they seem to be going for $60 or $75 each.

Tigers/SVDs are super expensive.

IMO your looking for a Vepr x54r. They were $800 each prepanic, and are probably still out there. Only downfall is they are single stack, and Im not sure about magazine availability but Ive not seen many out there.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I agree with Clay about getting a VEPR 54r also. TBH they are built better then PSLs and don't have a wimpy thin barrel too. The argument could be made that if you went with a VEPR you're limited to 10 round single stack mags, this is true. It doesn't matter though because if you run a PSL or SVD you're stuck with 10 round double stack mags... it's redundant. Unless you're lucky enough to find a functional Lahti mag and do some conversion work 10 rounds is about as good as it gets for these. Now BlackHorse Arsenal is working on building a 100% American made SVD. I haven't had a recent update on this but I have seen all the pics of the their mock ups and trials and everyothing looked on the up and up. BHA doesn't mess around and everything they make is top notch. I think Gorby said they planned to retail it at $2,500.

Can VEPRs run heavyball? Anyone?

Not to bad mouth PSLs by any of that ++++VEPR talk. If you can find one at a deal I suggest you get it, they're awesome weapons. I got mine at 700ish and it's a tac driver, no complaints whatsoever and I wouldn't sell it for $3000... it's that good.

psle.jpg

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I would love to pick one up as soon as tomorrow if I could! I'll def keep my eyes out for a vepr. Anyone have any sources????

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    VEPR's are easy to find.
    Center fire systems has tons right now.
    I'm sure others do too.

I know from my own two eyes that Krebs has a bunch too.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have an SVT-40 Tokarev, lucked out on that one. A few years ago bought it at the Tipton Gun Show, It has the Muzzle Brake (not flash hider) and the select fire notch in the stock, Russian mag, & cleaning rod. At the time they had just started to import them - bought it for around $350. Shortly thereafter they banned the import. Mine is now worth about $1200 ~ $1500. (Of course doesn't matter cause I don't sell my firearms). I did have to clean and adjust the Gas port - now runs perfectly.) Would like to purchase a Dragunov Sniper but can't see putting out the pennies.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    VEPR's are easy to find.
    Center fire systems has tons right now.
    I'm sure others do too.

I know from my own two eyes that Krebs has a bunch too.

Awesome! Now hopefully someone buys my AK and ammo lol. I'm honestly not an AK fan.

Top Bottom