• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have a DPMS and have had issues. Had a brand new car and had issues. Does not matter as all machines falter at times. The DPMS was touchy from day one. Kept wiping out the rings in the firing pin carrier. Replaced some of the components and it now runs great. My Colt has never really missed a beat with an occasional FTF when using reloads. That was after god now's how many thousands of rounds. New firing pin and a few misc. bits and it runs like a race horse. Traded the Colt to a buddy and he has used it for an ammo hose....no issues. My M&P runs great but one day it will burp or fart and I will have to put some parts in it as well. Never had a bushy but friends do and they love them. A part here or there..(I will work on them for beer) and off they go. They are machines, machines fail, people miss-treat machines. Vicious circle. Enjoy you AR's...What a country

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Yes you might be able to shoot your DPMS and your Bushy a million rounds without cleaning it, and never ever have a problem with it.

but come on guys lets be real! It just isn't classy to shoot zombies with a lower end rifle........ an apocalypse should never trump etiquette!

there i said it, i hope we can all move on!

jake

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Spend as much or as little as you think your life is worth...

I mean, is an equivalently equipped BCM/Noveske/RRA/Colt that much more? $800 for a base dpms, BCM starts at $1000, same with colt.

I'm not one to gamble on quality, and I'm sure the BCMs and Colts can run $200 longer.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I mean, is an equivalently equipped BCM/Noveske/RRA/Colt that much more? $800 for a base dpms, BCM starts at $1000, same with colt.

I'm not one to gamble on quality, and I'm sure the BCMs and Colts can run $200 longer.

agreed.

with PSA offering an M4 with the same specs as a 6920 for $600, a Spike's for $750-800 and the Colt itself for $945, why even mess with the so-called questionable manufacturers?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    agreed.

with PSA offering an M4 with the same specs as a 6920 for $600, a Spike's for $750-800 and the Colt itself for $945, why even mess with the so-called questionable manufacturers?

I woul dhave to agree with this, I had a DPMS and it functioned well but for the price of "good" AR's these days I would buy a better one. I have had a god one for awhile now and it makes me smile every time I shoot it. :ar15:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    my first AR was a DPMS and it was great for a putting holes in paper for an hour once a month. but now the AR market has become so competitive that "top tier" features are available for "3rd tier" prices. I figure why not buy as much rifle for as little money as possible.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Show me a Ford truck with 300,000 miles and ill show you a Chevy with 350,000 and same goes the other way. Realistically its all about how the guys mood was that day on the assembly line.

and ill show you a dodge with 400,000 :D

Really though, Im still deciding on what to buy. I do know that if i buy new, Bushmaster and DPMS, along with any other part of "Freedom Group" is not on my list.

The people who own those companies (see: Cerberus Capital Management), helped bankrupt Chrysler when they owned them....I choose to give someone else my business. (I have alot of friends/family that are Chrysler employees)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've had mag issues when shooting my DPMS AR pistol (for now). Wasn't anything to do with the DPMS parts. I've got some mags that seem a bit pinched. Next few ARs will be PSA though.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Bushmaster and DPMS rifles are not held to the highest standards like rifles from companies like Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, and LaRue are. It's just a fact. DPMS, for example, is widely known for having out of spec chambers that are falsely marked, zero staking of any of the screws, and they don't use mil spec steel which can negatively affect the longevity of the rifle. That's just a few things that come to mind. If you want an affordable AR15, look at PSA. Look at the specs of their rifles. Compare them to the well respected companies' spec lists. They are virtually the same. You get a lot of bang for your buck with PSA.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm still happy with my Rock River Arms. SOMEDAY, I'll have a Top Tier AR. Most likely won't be this year.

But if December really is the end of the world, and I survive, there will be LOTS of Top Tier rifles just laying around for the taking. :D

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Getting involved in one of these threads is like poking a skunk with a short stick.
    I don't understand why more people aren't jumping on the Colt 6720 lightweight for $945 or whatever they are now. A real good gun at a good price, and a much more practical barrel profile. If I didn't have to buy a bunch of wheel weights and other crap for a tractor I would buy another 6720 right now. Like right now.
    Be open minded/unbiased and check them out and consider spending just a little more to get the 6720, not much more at all really.
    The PSA's do sound to be nice guns.
    Everyone already has their own opinion on Oly, DPMS, Bushy ect so I'm not going there. Buy/own what you want. If it suits you it suits me. No problemo.
    I own one Bushy (older) and it's been good to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know so many folks that look long, buy cheap and defend the reasoning. In the end some pay for the "cheap" and some get by with it. I have made those mistakes early on in my life and always paid the price when cutting corners.
    With all the info available at the touch of a finger these days it is silly to buy something from manuf. that are known for cutting corners. I got a smoking deal on the DPMS I own and had to throw parts at it before it was even broke in. No complaints just part of owning a lower tier piece. I went hog nuts on the M&P so only the upper and lower stripped housings remain original. No complaints, experience. It ran fine. Some of the parts are in the DPMS. I regret letting the Colt go but the person that has it is on cloud 9
    and happy. I am looking at another one.
    In the end, those that are thrifty will always defend that choice. They may have a few more "Thing" in this life from stretching the dollar out farther than we do. We can argue this all day.

Last edited:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    my first AR was a DPMS and it was great for a putting holes in paper for an hour once a month. but now the AR market has become so competitive that "top tier" features are available for "3rd tier" prices. I figure why not buy as much rifle for as little money as possible.

I could agree with this statement, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to "dump" my DPMS that I have owned for 5 years that have run without a single hitch.

But if I were looking for another, I would be looking toward PSA, BCM or Spike's.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I have a colt le6920 my buddy has a base bushy, they shoot the same grouping with 55gr federal, and mine does better than his with 62gr but that is probably do to the twist rate, as far as ar's go bushy's are a ok by me.

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    dpms

Been pretty happy with my dpms I've had for 4 years. Have not run into any issues with it. Only that it's lonely and needs another to keep it company.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    My old XM15 Bushmaster that I bought when Clinton was still president still runs great. The mil surplus mags I had for it wore out but the gun still works great. I thought Bushmaster was supplying the military anyway?

Top Bottom