• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I won't be getting into the issue here on whether or not the DUI checkpoint is legal, constitutional, or right. I've personally had a dear friends life ruined because of a drunk driver rear ending his motorcycle, and I don't drive drunk. I I just don't care if they do them. I'm only reporting on how pleasant the police were with me while I drove through one. I did have my phone on record as I pulled through, so this is basically a transcript, not a recollection.

Me:Oh sorry, I thought you were waving me through( There were literally 15 people standing around, I had no idea who to look at.)
    OS:You're alright. Officer Schneider("OS"), we're running an OWI checkpoint. License and registration?
    Me:Sure
    Me:Thank you
    OS:Always a little leery when they're that big but he looks friendly
    Me:Hes a big sweetheart
    OS:You got a gun on you tonight?(My LTCH was in front of my license)
    Me:Yes sir
    Me:Sig 229
    Me:Yes sir, they're the best!
    Me:I stopped carrying my Glock once I had a Sig in my hands for the first time.
    OS:haha, I hear ya! Good to go, he's going to say something to you and get you outa here, ok?
    Other cop: Drug free task force, Tippecanoe county, We're handing out some info on drunk driving. I want to thank you for being responsible and give you this sunglasses visor clip if you want it.
    Me:Actually, I will take one of those, thank you!

I was never disarmed.

On a side note, this was at 10:30. By the time 2 am came around, they had broken down the checkpoint and gone on to bigger and better things. WHY on earth would they take down the sobriety checkpoint before everyone leaves the bars?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's a really good experience. Some counties set up check points as a deterrent. They set up early and hope drinkers see they are out and don't drink and drive in the first place. The word gets around in bars that check points are set up.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Glad you get along so well with the Nazi brown shirts, God! they take away our rights and as long as they are friendly, we smile all the way to the prison camps. Don't get me started, never mind........

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    On a side note, this was at 10:30. By the time 2 am came around, they had broken down the checkpoint and gone on to bigger and better things. WHY on earth would they take down the sobriety checkpoint before everyone leaves the bars?

#1 - overtime pay
    #2 - it isn't about safety

Sobriety Checkpoints are about as unconstitutional as you can get. You do not need a license or registration to determine if I am intoxicated. You cannot legally stop me (detain me) if I am not breaking any laws.

Glad you enjoyed your pit stop ;)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    #1 - overtime pay

Sobriety Checkpoints are about as unconstitutional as you can get. You do not need a license or registration to determine if I am intoxicated. You cannot legally stop me (detain me) if I am not breaking any laws.

:+1:

Gotta agree with this.

Glad it went well. Sounds like you interacted with professional and polite officers. But the whole concept makes me puke a little in my mouth.

I've NEVER driven drunk. EVER. I hold utter contempt and hatred for those that drive drunk. Let me be clear about that.

But the idea of being pulled over and asked for your papers with no other probable cause than you are driving on that road is sickening.

The constitution has been flushed down the toilet so many times now you can't read the words anymore.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I won't be getting into the issue here on whether or not the DUI checkpoint is legal, constitutional, or right. I've personally had a dear friends life ruined because of a drunk driver rear ending his motorcycle, and I don't drive drunk. I I just don't care if they do them. I'm only reporting on how pleasant the police were with me while I drove through one.
    Please don't turn this into a constitutional argument. Please feel free to start another thread if you have a rant about the checkpoints. This is a carry issues post.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Please don't turn this into a constitutional argument. Please feel free to start another thread if you have a rant about the checkpoints. This is a carry issues post.

You are correct. My apologies.

But the puke in my mouth made it hard for me not to say anything.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    You know something, I have honestly never had a bad experience with a LEO. Even when I was a kid doing dumb kid stuff, they were never rude or acted any way other than professional. I know, there are pri** LEOs out there I've seen the hidden video stuff too, but for me, they have always done what they had to do.

Glad your check point went well, maybe he saw you click the record button on your phone and was pretending to like Sigs. I keed, I keed.

Oh and by the way, calling LEOs "Nazi Brown Shirts" that's not going to win you any friends here. There are several members of the Law Enforcement community among us, and like you, I'm Sure, that don't like to be categorized or even compared to something bad.

Thanks for the AAR

Doug

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm glad you were on your way after only a few moments. Best way to expedite something like that depends on the attitude of the driver, too.

I bet if you were impatient or otherwise grumpy, you might have been 'scrutinized' a bit longer.

Always hoping for the professionalism when I here about these.:yesway:

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I read they they were going to have a sobriety checkpoint around Purdue in the paper yesterday. Are they required to publish that information?

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    #1 - overtime pay

A checkpoint isn't a stop. It's designed with safety in mind, such as a seatbelt check. When they approach the vehicle to see that you're wearing a seatbelt, they also observe the driver to see if he/she is intoxicated. Since it's illegal to drive intoxicated and they observed you drive, they can stop you.

All vehicles pass through the checkpoint and therefore any of the vehicles are subject to being stopped, the driver and passengers being asked for identification and so forth.
    Such action does not legally constitute profiling or harassment.

Besides it's made "common knowledge" that there will be a check point... Check the paper, news coverage, or police website... I promise it is listed somewhere for you to read!

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    #1 - overtime pay

What would happen if you refused to show license and registration and told them just that, "Officer, you do not need my license and registration to see that I am perfectly sober. May I be on my way?"

What is the law here? Can we decline to submit to this?

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I'm glad you were on your way after only a few moments. Best way to expedite something like that depends on the attitude of the driver, too.

I bet if you were impatient or otherwise grumpy, you might have been 'scrutinized' a bit longer.

Always hoping for the professionalism when I here about these.:yesway:

Blind and polite obedience. That is what they are looking for, so they would definitely not hold you any longer than necessary. You are the type of citizen they are looking to groom us all into.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    What would happen if you refused to show license and registration and told them just that, "Officer, you do not need my license and registration to see that I am perfectly sober. May I be on my way?"

What is the law here? Can we decline to submit to this?

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.24.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Blind and polite obedience. That is what they are looking for, so they would definitely not hold you any longer than necessary. You are the type of citizen they are looking to groom us all into.

Whoawhoawhoa there cowboy. The OP expressed that he didn't wish to make it question of constitutionality. I respected that and left out my feelings on that all together.

You have no idea about what kind of citizen I am. I bet I know what type you are, however...

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Whoawhoawhoa there cowboy. The OP expressed that he didn't wish to make it question of constitutionality. I respected that and left out my feelings on that all together.

You have no idea about what kind of citizen I am. I bet I know what type you are, however...

I've handed out too much rep today... so :thumbsup:

Top Bottom