• ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Usefulness isn't really the issue here.

We could start a new policy of random searches of people's homes. Your name comes up, you get a visit at 3 am and the police search all through your house, look at your financial records, scan through your computer, take blood samples and hair samples, etc.

I'm sure such a policy would result in catching all kinds of criminals who would not otherwise be caught. By that standard, it would be a very "useful" policy.

I'd still oppose it, though, because I do not want to live in a society where the authorities can randomly search your home. If I have to tolerate a bit higher crime rate to live in a free society, so be it.

Good post. Unlike many, it sounds like you get it :yesway:

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    An alternate route to avoid the checkpoint is required by the courts and you cannot be stopped for avoiding the checkpoint...it is not a crime. Just make sure you make a legal turn. And NO, you cannot be arrested for failure to ID if you have not committed an infraction or ordinance violation. Being directed into a checkpoint does not satisfy that aspect of the law. Asking for ID and registration is not to find out who they are, I do not run their info. It is a divided attention test that a person under the influence rarely passes. They hand them to me and they get handed right back. I've worked checkpoints for many years and I am quite familiar with them and their legalities. If they are operated in a very specific manner they are legal according to the courts. However, someday that might change. You never know.

Thanks so much for chiming in! Great information!

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    hmmm.....set up a camera in your car and intentionally go through a check point. That wasn't planned at all!:rolleyes:

Actually, he is a priest, and keeps a camera on him at all times. he does the same thing every time, watch his other videos, one time, hes gets beaten.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Actually, he is a priest, and keeps a camera on him at all times. he does the same thing every time, watch his other videos, one time, hes gets beaten.

Well, Sounds to me like he was asking for it! I just don't understand why he insists on being like that. Intentionally pushing buttons until it happens doesn't sound like the right way to go about things to me. I understand he doesn't want to have to stop for a BS checkpoint but I don't see whats so hard about giving him your id then going on your way. Now if the agents said something like we think you are a illegal alien I could see getting mad about it but all they asked for was an ID.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Were you ever in the cannonball run with your hearse?
    That would be sweet to lighten one up and tune the big block for some sustained high power runs.
    But you'd need to have a funny fat guy with a hat to ride along as the codriver.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, Sounds to me like he was asking for it! I just don't understand why he insists on being like that. Intentionally pushing buttons until it happens doesn't sound like the right way to go about things to me. I understand he doesn't want to have to stop for a BS checkpoint but I don't see whats so hard about giving him your id then going on your way. Now if the agents said something like we think you are a illegal alien I could see getting mad about it but all they asked for was an ID.

It sounds like he was asking for it, he told the LEO he couldn't search his car/house/etc. What is the difference? What's so hard about allowing a search of anything they want? Would you allow a search of your home but only get upset if the agents said they thought you were a drug dealer?

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    It sounds like he was asking for it, he told the LEO he couldn't search his car/house/etc. What is the difference? What's so hard about allowing a search of anything they want? Would you allow a search of your home but only get upset if the agents said they thought you were a drug dealer?

No, he was a complete douche about the whole thing. I am not going to submit to a search of anything without a lawyer present. I am not gonna let it get to a point where they are going to break my window and taze me. He could have avoided the whole thing by giving the his ID when he arrived at the checkpoint. What I am saying is that no matter where you are, you have to present your ID at a checkpoint. Its the law. You can't change that fact.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No, he was a complete douche about the whole thing. I am not going to submit to a search of anything without a lawyer present. I am not gonna let it get to a point where they are going to break my window and taze me. He could have avoided the whole thing by giving the his ID when he arrived at the checkpoint. What I am saying is that no matter where you are, you have to present your ID at a checkpoint. Its the law. You can't change that fact.

Whether he was a douche or not doesn't matter. Isn't showing ID a search? And can you cite the law that states you have to present your ID at a checkpoint? Just saying it's the law doesn't make it a fact. In IN it's not the law, you only have to ID yourself if you are stopped for an infraction/ordinance violation as has been stated in this thread with links to the IN code for it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    did this particular checkpoint happen to be in Bloomington this past weekend during Little 500? I drove through downtown and it was nuts. I know there were a couple checkpoints set up friday night. Im glad your situation went well!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What I am saying is that no matter where you are, you have to present your ID at a checkpoint. Its the law. You can't change that fact.
    Not true. Not at all. Read the thread, posts from myself and Indiana LEO's lay out the legality of checkpoints and what (if anything) is expected of you.

I can't stand posts like this. Completely false and had you actually read the thread, the laws/codes cited and consensus including from LEOs you'd have saved yourself this embarresment.

Top Bottom