• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    IMHO, an ELECTED position has no "right to respect" the General that she belittled deserves MUCH MORE respect than she does. Our elected officials work for us, the last time I checked. I am so sick and tired of our elected officials demanding respect. Well to them I say F off!

INGunGuy

Sure, and all the parents would tell you that my wife deserves more respect than I do. And they are likely right.

But that changes nothing. Look, day by day we talk about the slow decay of our Republic and you can choose to join in through disrespect of it's parts and functions because you are angry at a person. Either the Republic lives or it is just a piece of history we are ready to trade off for a little taste of anger.

It is like a house. You can build it up or you can get angry and let it crumble. Sure the General has probably done more actual work for his position and deserves respect. But at the same time, don't tell me you love the Constitution and the Republic but will not respect the position of Senator. That makes no sense.

One year my Congregation had a terrible Rabbi as a filler while we did a search for a full time one. His first sermon made clear that he was a bad fit, poor thinker, and only God knows who let him take the pulpit. So afterwards I went to the head of the community and asked him what we plan to do and the response was, "He's only here for a year."

Sometimes, often, respect comes with a bad taste in the mouth. But so long as you love this nation, that is the way it is. Build it up, or watch it fall down.

Keep in mind, all the Senators can only be here for 6 years. The Republic itself lives way beyond them.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I was always under the impression that the word "ma'am" used in military "lingo" was used out of respect for a lady who is of higher rank than the person addressing them,if you are of lower rank you are addressed by your rank. she was acting like he was being disrespectful while in his mind he was showing the utmost respect. yes she is a senator and should be addressed as such by the "average joe" but she should be happy that a GENERAL has enough respect to address her as ma'am!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And I don't see that as invalidating your insistence on being called Mr. Techres. I'll call the Senator Mrs. Boxer if she likes, and I find "ma'am" to be a perfectly respectful appellation. I think most people would. But reverting to titles just because someone's won a popularity contest?

1. Calling her Mrs. says she in an adult.
    2. Calling her Senator says she in a Senator. Guess what? She is.
    3. "Ma'am" is used in some places as a sign of respect, in others it is an insult (i.e. "you are only a woman"). But again, she is a Senator.
    4. If the position of Senator deserves no more respect than the winning of a popularity contest, then do not call yourself a Constitutionalist nor talk about respecting the Constitution today. You obviously do not respect it in the real world.

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Apparently some didn't see her arrogance. All one has to do is watch some of her videos/appearances.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    4. If the position of Senator deserves no more respect than the winning of a popularity contest, then do not call yourself a Constitutionalist nor talk about respecting the Constitution today. You obviously do not respect it in the real world.

I've never called myself a Constitutionalist. As for respecting the Constitution itself, I see no conflict. I believe we are all created equal, and that nobody, by virtue of their race or position, is better than anyone else. I do believe that some are better by virtue of their character, motivations, hard work, and personal effort. My grandfather is a far better man than I'll ever be, and I daresay far more deserving of respect than any Senator. Too bad they don't hand out titles for just being a bricklayer. After all, he can only build houses and churches for people. Senators get to tell those people what they can and can't do with those buildings.

Perhaps more to the point, I am dedicated to the proposition that desire for (or admiration of) power over others is the most present and easily identifiable form of evil in the world today. And I have seen zero Senators and only one Representative who lack that trait. I suppose you could make the case that I should respect evil in the same way that I respect rattlesnakes, for the harm it can do, but then I don't think we're talking about the same kind of respect. Or are we?

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Apparently some didn't see her arrogance. All one has to do is watch some of her videos/appearances.

I see the Airborne logo as your avatar. As a soldier, do you get to choose not to salute an officer who is arrogant? Or do you have to respect the position even if the officer in question is a power hungry, arrogant moron?

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    This is just another example of how Congress attitude about Civil Service is Back Asswards.

They have too much power, and think that prestige should come with it. How about a fricking statesman for a change who isn't in it for the title?

A little humility never hurt anyone, and it's quite obvious just how full of herself she really is. She's a civil servant, in theory anyway...

In conclusion... another reason to support term limits... Congress should not be a career. What it has fostered is a generation of people who've never worked in the real world. That's exactly the kind of people we need in Congress

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    I see the Airborne logo as your avatar. As a soldier, do you get to choose not to salute an officer who is arrogant? Or do you have to respect the position even if the officer in question is a power hungry, arrogant moron?

Yes I do have to respect the rank, but I have the option to address them by sir/ma'am or by their rank.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Female Dog Barbra Boxer could have been a LITTLE more respectful in her attack on the Four Star General (knowing full well that the confrontation was in front of television cameras). Her condescending tone and show-boating attitude was disgusting. It just shows her lack of knowledge on how our military DOES show respect for authority.
    She does not deserve it.:soapbox:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Female Dog Barbra Boxer could have been a LITTLE more respectful in her attack on the Four Star General (knowing full well that the confrontation was in front of television cameras)

I completely agree.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Sure, and all the parents would tell you that my wife deserves more respect than I do. And they are likely right.

But that changes nothing. Look, day by day we talk about the slow decay of our Republic and you can choose to join in through disrespect of it's parts and functions because you are angry at a person. Either the Republic lives or it is just a piece of history we are ready to trade off for a little taste of anger.

It is like a house. You can build it up or you can get angry and let it crumble. Sure the General has probably done more actual work for his position and deserves respect. But at the same time, don't tell me you love the Constitution and the Republic but will not respect the position of Senator. That makes no sense.

One year my Congregation had a terrible Rabbi as a filler while we did a search for a full time one. His first sermon made clear that he was a bad fit, poor thinker, and only God knows who let him take the pulpit. So afterwards I went to the head of the community and asked him what we plan to do and the response was, "He's only here for a year."

Sometimes, often, respect comes with a bad taste in the mouth. But so long as you love this nation, that is the way it is. Build it up, or watch it fall down.

Keep in mind, all the Senators can only be here for 6 years. The Republic itself lives way beyond them.

If the country were my house, I would bulldoze the place down and start over. That is the problem, when our ELECTED officials DEMAND respect from everyone they come in contact with. I show no respect until it is deserved. If that were me and she belittled me like that I would NOT have held my tongue. I dont give 2 $h1ts who you are, or who you THINK you are. I can also say this, I do NOT respect NObama. I respect the office of the President, but NOT the man in the position. IMHO, he is the number one reason this country is going down the crapper like it is now. Everyone always wants to say that all we can do is to vote and to vote out our elected officials that dont vote how their constitutents want them to. Well that is the way it is now, all elected officials care nothing at all except their own political ends.

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    So I have a question, what would be the ramifications to him if any were he to continue to address her as maam ?

Call her what she is, a WORTHLESS C**T on national TV, emberass the hell out of her, put her in her place. I really wish I would have the opportunity to speak with one of the egotistical elected officials for just 5 minutes. They would go away crying with their tails between their legs. Oh wait, I guess that is why they all have armed guards protecting them because they dont have the balls to hear the way things really are. Oh and remember, those same asshats that make laws restricting us from carrying in DC, make sure their own bodyguards are carrying. Kinda jacked up isnt it. I guess our elected officials dont think that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

INGunGuy

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm sure that the General worked a hell of a lot harder to get his rank then she did. He actually had to work for that rank. All she did was make a bunch of promises she knew damn well she couldn't or wouldn't keep.

What he said!!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So I have a question, what would be the ramifications to him if any were he to continue to address her as maam ?

He would have risked his career. Agree or disagree, that's what would have happened.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You all hammer politicians who do not salute properly and give their military soldiers proper respect. The street is two ways. She is a Senator and deserves as such to be addressed as such.

Now, that could have been passed along with tact and decorum, but the I see nothing wrong with the request for title itself.

Personally, I require my children's friends to call me by Mr. and my last name. My children call me Daddy. None of them get to call me by my first name. Why? Not because I am some power mad jerk, but because it teaches respect for parents and parenting. I am nearly alone in carrying the tradition, but I do it none-the-less and it drives some of my friends batty. Too bad.

That's kinda how I see this. Like her or not, the position of Senator is one of the highest in this nation and if we are to survive as a Republic, we need to treat it with respect. Even when it drives us batty.

There is nothing disrespectful about the way the General was addressing her. I've called more than one General sir/ma'am, because that is one respectful way of addressing them.

The thing wrong with what she said was that she implied something that wasn't happening, namely that the General was being disrespectful in some way. Her conduct cost her whatever respect she may have had from many folks.

Top Bottom