• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Went for a hearing aid appointment today. Mine are getting bad and they had a dealer rep in today. They're ordering me a new set in to try for a week. If I buy them, they are $6,950 for the pair. They have blue tooth and the whole 9 yards.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm still young, but I'm sure I'll be there with you one day.

I'm in my 20's and my hearing is already crap...I'm sure it was the loud stereo system I had in my car before my kid was around and all of the concerts I've been to, but I can't fall asleep at night without some sort of audio playing or the ringing in my ears gets so bad it feels like my head is going to explode.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm only 32 and I've had them for 3 years now. 8 years in the infantry and loud stereos didn't help but mine is mostly middle ear conductive loss.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    hey OP... Getting any disability from Uncle Sugar due to your hearing loss?

If not, should look into it.

-J-

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I carry a pair of ear plugs with me everywhere.
    I just used them yesterday at the beach. I just do not want my hearing to get worse.

But I would GLADLY sacrifice it all to keep even a tiny portion of my eyesight.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Awhahhhahhha! :D:D:D:D:D

My hearing problem is in one ear after a piece of ****e worker at the Bloomington GE plant said "Watch this" and set of a Klaxon alarm that was 1 foot from my ear. I jumped due to the pain and lost hearing.

I could ignore it but my girlfriend is a soft spoken, good looking woman, that started complaining about me not hearing what she was saying. I could ignore that except for one thing, did I mention she was good looking and started complaining? OK, so I went out and got one of those "007" hearing aids. 007 because in one of the movies they showed the Siemens hearing aid as a remote walkie talkie thingy. The stupid thing costs something like $1,800 and insurance covers nothing. So now I am sooo with it with a hearing aid that cannot be seen and I can hear my GF (when I have it in). "What a wuss", he says self deprecatingly.

It is a fact that after the age of 30, hearing continues to decline, no matter what you do. I am sure that the years of Led Zeppelin and Ted Nugent did not help.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Straight pipes are what killed a lot of my hearing. Well that and basic chemistry. It is simply amazing what you can do with some common household chemicals...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Mine isn't really service related. It's more due to manyyears of chronic sinus problems. Insurance doesn't cover hearing aids. I got my first set through Vocational Rehab, my only stint on the government teat. Don't worry, I paid for them many times over on last years taxes alone. They will buy your first set but it is difficult to qualify. It's not worth my hassle to go through va anyway.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think I'm starting to lose my hearing from spending the last 20 years in server rooms. It's not that the fans are particularly loud, but they're constant, and you can't get away. Think about where you're sitting right now. You can probably hear your air conditioner running, maybe a ceiling fan, your fridge, the fan in your computer or DVR or TV. There's no way to escape that white noise hum. Add that to 40-60 hours a week in a server room...

I wear earmuffs or plugs for almost anything now. Lawn mowing, shooting (obviously), etc. I even wear ear plugs in that dreaded server room now. Bliss for me is getting to turn everything off to go to sleep, making it almost silent except for the ringing in my ears. The air, the fan, the TV, etc., but that's a rare treat, especially since Spasmo needs the TV on to fall asleep.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    HeerIn cna bea healpped moSt Time, as Youu git olDer,
    thee bRian and vison wheel start faiding two.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of moola but a person needs to hear the BG sneaking up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Went for a hearing aid appointment today. Mine are getting bad and they had a dealer rep in today. They're ordering me a new set in to try for a week. If I buy them, they are $6,950 for the pair. They have blue tooth and the whole 9 yards.

The trial period, in most places, is 30 days minimum. Do not feel obligated to purchase after one week- the dealer has more time than that to return them, and if they wont flex, spend your money somewhere else. Most manufacturers give the hearing aid dealer 60 to 90 days to return for credit, so don't buy this one week crap! If you need help finding an audiologist who will treat you right, please PM me and I will help you out. This is my profession, and I can assure you there are good and bad both, so watch out.

Hearing aids are a very lucrative business and there are some out there who care more about $ than their patients. It is sad but true, and some will use every opportunity to take advantage of the customer. A one week trial period isn't very reassuring to me, looks like the tip of the iceberg personally.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Btw, I intentionally typed deef instead of deaf:D. You can get a good set for a few k but I'm going all out. I really want the blue tooth. The aids double as my ear plugs at work and I always have to pull one out to talk on the phone. I have an iPhone so it will be nice. This set I'm looking at has 4 programs that help filter out background noise when people are talking. I almost never wear the set I have now because of all the background noise. My wife gets irritated that I don't wear them at home to watch tv, etc but it is easier to hear by turning up the volume than it is to use my aids. With them in, I hear fans and other noise over the tv. You'd think after 3 years she'd learn not to try to talk to me from 3 rooms away:xmad:

Top Bottom