• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Something has changed with Kong. My year old lab destroyed two. The warranty of getting another wasn't worth the time after the second. When I was younger and lived up in Chicago there was a store up on the north side that sold 1"x1"x4" pieces of rhino hide, they would last forever.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For my 130lb Rottweiler, I have the large black Kong Toy. I'll fill it with peanut butter, a couple dog biscuits and baby carrots and celery. I'll freeze it for a few hours, and then give it to him. That keeps him happy for a long time.

His other toy, I got from Specks. It's a rubber tire. And he chews on it everynight, and he loves playing tug-of-war with it. It's been his favorite toy for the last 3 years. Still in great shape.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    For my Pit Bulls I always went to the meat department at any food store and bought a large soup bone. I think they are called soup bones, I had to bake them. But they are just like the costly big bones you find at Walmart. Those will work as well. He will eat the ends off in no time. But the hollow bone part will last awhile. Then from time to time I take the hollowed out bone and shove peanut butter deep in it. It'll be all he wants. Atleast you're not losing remotes, game controls, or whatever else he can find. I hate the first 2 years with males!

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    We use the NylaBones for big (over 50) dogs and heavy chewers. Absolutely nothing else lasts over an hour (I am sure deer antlers would, but we haven't tried them). We buy the one that is about 9" long, shaped kind of like a bone and has the bumps all over it. It is very white and costs around $11. Both our dogs chew on them for hours every day and they last 4 to 6 months.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Just a quick FYI: ALL Kong toys are guaranteed for life. If your dog tears one up, just take the hunk of plastic or rubber back to the store give it to the cashier and go get one new one off the shelf. I don't know how many times my wife has done this.

so anotherwards i can just show up at petsmart with a bag full of pieces of rubber, go get a "replacement" and be on my way?:D

Too bad i could never do a thing like that....:(

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    The one toy that our 2 great danes and 2 labs have not been able to destroy is a Jolly Ball. They are made for horses and they can take a lot of abuse. I would suggest giving one of them a try. Our great danes had the same problem, they actually ripped part of my chain link fence of the ground poles, but they cant destroy the Jolly Ball.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    We use the NylaBones for big (over 50) dogs and heavy chewers. Absolutely nothing else lasts over an hour (I am sure deer antlers would, but we haven't tried them). We buy the one that is about 9" long, shaped kind of like a bone and has the bumps all over it. It is very white and costs around $11. Both our dogs chew on them for hours every day and they last 4 to 6 months.

I use the same bone for both my pits. It's the only thing that I have seen them not tear up in an hour. This last Nylabone has lasted over 2 months and looks like its going to last a long time more.

The only other toys I get them are those stuffing-less animals and rope toys, but they rarely last more then a day.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    mi dog is that way, you give a regular toy and 10 minutes is gone, what i do, is i get hard rubber solid toys that last longer, and also provide some soft stuffed toys that i get from the second hand store and let him destroy them, i do this because the fur help to clean the teeth at the same time he is chewing them, but i just give one at the time, clean the mess after he rip the toy and pull the guts, he love to do that just for fun.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I never found a toy that my old pit wouldn't destroy.

A indestructable-chew toy for a pit is an oxymoron I believe.

He's a good looking pup and good luck with your search. :yesway:

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    You need a Jolly-Ball!!!

Made for horses and big dogs...
    Amazon.com: Horseman's Pride Jolly Ball: Pet Supplies

I had a jolly ball for my Staffie and he chewed the top half off. He loved it and it lasted awhile as we would put it away when we were done playing in the yard. Might have to get him another one in the spring!

We have had good luck with hard femur bones(he has cracked a few in multiple pieces, but loves), nylabones, solid rubber balls, and the blue Orka brand toys.

You almost have to be an engineer/scientist when shopping for dog toys for the strong chewers. It is a joke between my wife and I, betting on how long the new toy will last before it is destroyed.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Yeah....the Kong toys were good for a minute. Then he turned 1. Ever since about that time...toys have been impossible to keep.

Jolly balls lasted a while, because he never wanted to play with them.

My grandparents have a toy for their boxer, that my pit will most likely inherit in the next couple months...its a hard plastic ball about the size of a bowling ball....their boxer loved it until she got too old to play with it much. It has caused many bruised shins, and dents in the doors on the garage. That thing is HARD.

He destroys those 15-30 dollar toys like they are nothing...I am really excited to get this goughnut in and see if he does better with it.

Top Bottom