Does the term Homeland Security bug you too....?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This has bugged me eversince GWB named his new department after 9-11. Doesn't the term Homeland remind you of the Fatherland type rhetoric used in WWII? It just reeks of oppressive government. Everytime I hear the term, goosestepping, jackbooted thugs run through my mind.

Anyone else feel this way?

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This has bugged me eversince GWB named his new department after 9-11. Doesn't the term Homeland remind you of the Fatherland type rhetoric used in WWII? It just reeks of oppressive government. Everytime I hear the term, goosestepping, jackbooted thugs run through my mind.

I LOL'd way back when I heard what they were going to call it because of those very same thoughts.

Now I'm older & not quite so naive. I now find it far from funny. :xmad:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I feel that way very much, and those are excatly the images the term evokes for me. In one capacity or another I've been involved with emergency management since 1986 with both governmental bodies and NGOs. Things like "Homeland Security" and "Patriot Act" make me think of the political doublespeak of the USSR or Nazi Germany.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have no problem with the term Homeland Security. I believe that the Appleseed program is doing a great job teaching riflemen. Wait. I think I missed something.... :)

Oh, Homeland Insecurity. Yeah, isn't that the public agency, whose main job is to keep Americans feeling in danger and insecure to justify the high dollars spent on useless crap that doesn't make us more secure?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I was in Emergency Management for 13 years and the Dept of Homeland Security still makes chills run up and down my spine. And lest we blame this completely on GWB, don't forget how many Congresscritters were screaming "DO SOMETHING".

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Homeland Security... I believe that is an Oxymoron.

Some of the other great oxymorons of Our Government...
    Internal Revenue Service shouldn't they be looking at ways to generate money from inside the system instead of from outside the Government from us?!
    Central Intelligence Agency, need I say more on this one?!
    Department of Justice, haven't had that one for awhile either...
    Federal Reserve Bank, really when was the last time the Federal Government had $.02 to rub together?!

I am sure if I put a little more thought into it I could come up with even more...
    But it is going on to 0100 here and honestly dwelling on it is starting to depress me. I am off to drown my sorrows in a near beer...

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No. You're NOT the only one. I hated it from Day 1 for the exact same reasons.

I always think of the Geheime Staatspolizei whenever their name comes up.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    How many government pay checks can you get by working for homeland security? I know a guy that is a fire chief on a payed department. He gets payed buy the city and the township He is a fire investigator so he gets payed by the state and federal. And is a part time county deputy and gets payed by the county.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)

No homeland security doesnt remind me of "fatherland" type rhetoric, I enjoy those comedians, too.

But yes, I have abunch of disdain for this department, and I want it out; It reeks of yes, oppressive agenda, especially when it came out with the whole "rise in right wing extremism" "Watch out for vets" etc...

Why not watch out for those inner city gangs destroying America, or those latin mafia gangs, which are international, how about the immigrants seeking to uproot citizen, murder, rape, sex trafficing.

EFF DHS and it's evil communist agenda. :D :patriot:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have long believed that the bulk of American security rests in the simple hands of the average American Citizen. Armed with his/her first amendment protection of speech and a sharp tongue to speak truth to power and criticize that which is stupid and wasteful.

The lone American citizen is then bolstered with their 2nd amendment right to bear arms against tyranny. Whether that tyranny comes from his/her own government or the violent injustice of criminals does not matter.

What I find truly ironic is that in the United States of America we have a:

Homeland Security CZAR!!!......???? :n00b: :dunno: :n00b: :dunno: :n00b: :dunno:

Regards,

Doug

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My fears were alleviated when their first offical proclamation was to make sure you had duct tape and plastic to wrap you house in case of an NBC attack. And whatever would we do without the stupid colored terror threat matrix?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It didn't work out well for this group:
    Original_Homeland_Security.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    How many government pay checks can you get by working for homeland security? I know a guy that is a fire chief on a payed department. He gets payed buy the city and the township He is a fire investigator so he gets payed by the state and federal. And is a part time county deputy and gets payed by the county.

Sounds like he has several different jobs that he gets PAID for by different employers. (Learn to spell, dude!)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

With you on this one for about nine years now.

Where is Nobama and "change you can believe in" on this one?

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I am with you.
    It is pretty obvious to me that the SECURITY really has nothing to do with it.
    Come on!...the southern border is pretty much wide open!

they should actually call it "Security fFROM the homeland", because most of what has been implemented is AGAINST law abiding citizens:xmad:

Top Bottom