Does Scratches And Wear Add Character To Your Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    The only character marks that i like are on my M1 Garands. It makes me wonder what they have been through and seen. Besides that, I like my guns to look as factory fresh as possible.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Agreed. You should see the Colt I carry. The blueing is rubbed off all over the place. The idiot scratch bothers me, but that was my own dumb fault. I don't generally resell firearms that I buy so I don't care about resale value. Some people like to buy and sell a lot so it may be different for them. However, I don't mind buying a used gun with holster wear. It just means it's a working, well used gun. I'm more weary of used guns that don't look "used."

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    While I like my pretty rigs and guns. My everyday carry stuff does show a lot of wear on them. My Sig 228 I have had for about 15 years was my primary carry for years. Shows lots of holster wear on it.

I think it gives them character. Shows they was a successful working gun. I enjoy some of the older beat up looking firearms over some of the newer pretty ones.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    SRV! I agree the condition and character of his guitar contributed to the tone, however, I think he would have been just as great regardless.

As for wear and tear on a gun.....this thread really got me thinking. I was just asking around about Cerakote to cover the holster wear and scuffs on my slide. After reading this, I kind of had an epiphany. The Bersa is my carry gun, not my "OMG check this out BBQ gun."

I think I will wait for the "pretty stuff" until I have a 2nd gun, and let the Bersa have its character.

Thanks for changing my thinking, and saving me money for ammo! :D

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I like a nice looking gun and I'm pissed if I drop/ding one. Still, I do like "honest wear." Holster wear, normal scratches, rubs, smoothing.

Round count?? We don't need no stinking round count!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I didn't buy my guns to be in a glamor show...they are there to serve a purpose, so if they look tattered, that's ok with me so long as they are functional.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I'm an AK man and if its a collectors piece leave it as perfect as possible. But if its just war machine I say abuse it a Lil. if it looked new, then rough it up a Lil. I like the battlefield pick up look. Its sexy. But I like my handguns cared for very well. They should be cleaned and oiled. Holster wear and wear on working parts just means shes a hard worker and good at her job. But shes still clean and smooth just like a lady. :)

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    When I think about the old rifles / pistols that I have had, I can't help but wonder briefly what they have been through and the people that carried them. They all show wear.

I would like to think that one day my grand kids, or great grand kids, will do the same with one of my pistols or rifles.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I like looking at nice guns hanging on other peoples walls and stuff!;)

But as for mine, I look at it as I do my trucks, I didn't spend all that money for it to sit there and look pretty. Like the day I bought my SA M1A, dropped $1600 on it, took it home, tore it apart and looked it over, grabbed some ammo, looked outside, damn it's raining, ahh hell with it! To the farm I went!:D Grass, mud, rain, who cares I had a blast and it shot like a dream!:rockwoot:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the "in" thing with guitars now days is to have them relic'd or buy them beat up. there is a guy who contracts with gibson who "ages" Les Pauls, which instantly adds about 2k to the price.

i wonder if i could start the relic'd gun fad? hmmmm..... :)

Top Bottom