• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    True. But we don't have hurricanes in Indiana. Earthquakes here, even very mild quakes, are so rare that they are non-events. Its possible that it may rain frogs here, but I'm not betting on that either.

Arkansas didn't have many earthquakes either, until they had the cluster of them. New Zealand isn't known for disastrous earthquakes, but they sure had one. Indiana is in a major fault zone, the warning has been sounded for years that we are due a major earthquake. There are small nuclear reactors in this state at certain universities AND there are large functioning nuclear reactor powerhouses in our neighbors to the west who sit on the fault.

If you truly think it can't happen, you're misguided.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One specific concrete example is the great depression. Many thousands were on the move.
    So are you saying that during the great depression when many thousands were on the move that they were out rioting and killing and doing mayhem?

My recollection of the great depression comes from history books and my grandparents real life stories. Most were peaceful. Most stayed where they were. Looting didn't happen. Roving hoards of the the un-dead were non-issues.

The down and out in the cities were not going into the countryside looking for jobs/food/shelter, it was actually the opposite. People from the rural areas came into the cities looking for jobs/food/shelter.

Arkansas didn't have many earthquakes either, until they had the cluster of them.
    And they didn't cause mass destruction, riots, looting, mayhem or even much news coverage.

New Zealand isn't known for disastrous earthquakes, but they sure had one.
    Actually it is known for earthquakes. The quake they had has not caused riots, looting, mayhem but it did destroy about 50% of their public buildings. I've heard of ZERO incidents of residents "bugging out" because of it. Many have had to leave damaged homes and move into hotels and other shelters but they stayed in the same cities and continued with their lives, went to work at their jobs, etc.

If you truly think it can't happen, you're misguided.
    I never said it couldn't/wouldn't happen. I said that bugging out to the woods/mountains is silly and so is all this bug-out talk from MOST people. Look to history, see what REALLY HAPPENS in these events. LEARN from REAL LIFE experiences.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ok. what about the Bielski partisans, does this satisfy your criteria for an example of needing to bug out? you may have seen the movie about them called "Defiance".

This is actually one of the VERY VERY RARE examples of bugging out that actually worked, but think about why it worked. First, they all had a common connection through their religious belief. Second they all had a goal and that was to save others of their religion. Third, they worked together in a large organized group.

Mighty rare combination indeed.

Now exactly how does this relate to the average INGO member who plans a solitary foray into the Hoosier National Forest to live off the land? :dunno:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Wildfires. I don't know how high the risk gets here, but living in CA I had to evacuate twice. Seeing the aftermath of one of the fires--lots of people lost their homes and about 12 people were killed within a mile of where I was holed up during one fire. That is what prompted me to improve my preps.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Now exactly how does this relate to the average INGO member who plans a solitary foray into the Hoosier National Forest to live off the land? :dunno:

Now see, if you or Woodrow had actually spelled that out to begin with instead of all this dancing around changing the parameters of the question, it'd have been much simpler.

And the answer is that there are a very few InGO members who might make it. Most of them would perish or leave the woods very quickly.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Here is the original question "Under what circumstances--specific examples--would you leave? Let's make it easy: why is it safer to survive in a totally unfamiliar setting than to survive on your home turf?"

Nowhere does it state give historical references. The two of you want to twist things around however you see fit to justify your arguments against something. If that is the case, change the question because answers have been given to answer the original question.

In regards to New Zealand, go back read, I said "disastrous earthquakes" not just earthquakes. As you stated, Indiana has a history of them too, but none disastrous. But all the experts have pointedly said for two decades the region is overdue for a major one.

Have fun with your word games, you're the kind of people who don't want to gain more information, you just want to twist discussions to try and justify your viewpoint.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Wildfires. I don't know how high the risk gets here, but living in CA I had to evacuate twice. Seeing the aftermath of one of the fires--lots of people lost their homes and about 12 people were killed within a mile of where I was holed up during one fire. That is what prompted me to improve my preps.

I said large area fires, but you see, that wasn't what was being asked, we were just supposed to know what the actual question was.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wildfires. I don't know how high the risk gets here. . .
    Every year or two the farmers around me set their fields on fire.

Never have I seen one get out of control.

This is Indiana, we don't suffer from the ignorance of the California ecological restrictions. Wild fires here are almost a zero occurence and in most locations in this state could not pose a real threat.

There are a few places where a "forest fire" can occur. Houses in those areas are legitimately threatened. However it falls into that category of rarity. And, as per the OP's intent, would not lead to any sort of widespread chaos. It would seriously inconvenience those folks who's homes burn down, but its not likely to lead to civil unrest, interruption of utility services, etc in any wide area for any extended time. Again, if it was your home or mine, we'd likely move into an apartment in the nearest town until our homes were rebuilt. Hardly a true 'bug out' scenario.

Now see, if you or Woodrow had actually spelled that out to begin with instead of all this dancing around changing the parameters of the question, it'd have been much simpler.

And the answer is that there are a very few InGO members who might make it. Most of them would perish or leave the woods very quickly.
    Well I didn't start the thread, I just got here after dinner and had a quick look-see.

I totally agree with you. Most INGO members would likely perish in the woods or leave very quickly. That has been my feeling all along with most of these "bug out" threads.

Last edited:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    This is actually one of the VERY VERY RARE examples of bugging out that actually worked, but think about why it worked. First, they all had a common connection through their religious belief. Second they all had a goal and that was to save others of their religion. Third, they worked together in a large organized group.

Mighty rare combination indeed.

but don't we have groups right here on INGO for this exact reason? is it really that uncommon to think that in our country if something like this were to happen (and the history of man has shown that it is feasible anywhere) that we might responded in kind? wouldn't it be wise to be prepared to hold up in a remote, undeveloped area for a period of time?

here are some other examples where bugging out would have been a good idea.

it's always better to be prepared then not.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Every year or two the farmers around me set their fields on fire.

Never have I seen one get out of control.

This is Indiana, we don't suffer from the ignorance of the California ecological restrictions. Wild fires here are almost a zero occurence and in most locations in this state could not pose a real threat.
    Bzzzzzz.... Even this last year we had drought conditions, and some fairly significant (for Indiana) fires. Got a few barns and (I think) a house or two. What if the rains didn't come for another month? Those fields and forests don't water themselves. All these zero-lot-line homes would be a tinderbox.

At first, I thought this was a serious thread as well. I even thought a little about what I am prepared for. Now it sounds like my little cousin's "Nuh, uh! But, but, what I REALLY meant..."

Why do a prep to "bug out"? So I can watch all the idiots who STAYED on the news, while my family and I are safe somewhere else.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    but don't we have groups right here on INGO for this exact reason? is it really that uncommon to think that in our country if something like this were to happen (and the history of man has shown that it is feasible anywhere) that we might responded in kind? wouldn't it be wise to be prepared to hold up in a remote, undeveloped area for a period of time?

here are some other examples where bugging out would have been a good idea.

Show me a spot in Indiana where you are more than 15 minutes away from a town, major roadway, etc. Ever fly over this state in a small plane? Its not as rural as you would think.

As for the genocide examples you quote, those are great examples that prove that MOST PEOPLE DON'T and WON'T head for the woods. They stay despite what is happening. Perhaps some would have survived in the woods but its unlikely because in many examples they'd be trying to bug out during a war, where the woods are actually more dangerous.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Show me a spot in Indiana where you are more than 15 minutes away from a town, major roadway, etc. Ever fly over this state in a small plane? Its not as rural as you would think.

As for the genocide examples you quote, those are great examples that prove that MOST PEOPLE DON'T and WON'T head for the woods. They stay despite what is happening. Perhaps some would have survived in the woods but its unlikely because in many examples they'd be trying to bug out during a war, where the woods are actually more dangerous.
    the entire point is to not repeat history or become the statistic, i really don't understand why that's a hard point to get

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Bzzzzzz.... Even this last year we had drought conditions, and some fairly significant (for Indiana) fires. Got a few barns and (I think) a house or two. What if the rains didn't come for another month? Those fields and forests don't water themselves. All these zero-lot-line homes would be a tinderbox.

At first, I thought this was a serious thread as well. I even thought a little about what I am prepared for. Now it sounds like my little cousin's "Nuh, uh! But, but, what I REALLY meant..."

Why do a prep to "bug out"? So I can watch all the idiots who STAYED on the news, while my family and I are safe somewhere else.
    You are making my point very well.

If you are watching the idiots on the news then you have a TV set in front of you and you are watching from a HOTEL ROOM or similar place. That is hardly the "bug out" that Woodrow is talking about when he started this thread.

Further, an ISOLATED fire that burns down a barn or a house is HARDLY the type of event that would drive hoards of INGO members into the woods to survive. It might take 1 family and move them into the local Holiday Inn while their house is rebuilt, but its not the type of BUG OUT event to which Woodrow seems to have referred.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    the entire point is to not repeat history or become the statistic, i really don't understand why that's a hard point to get
    Its not. I do understand. What many don't seem to understand is that most who flee for the woods will die, or will return quickly.

if your not into it then don't do it, it's that simple
    Its more a matter of being practical and realistic.

Top Bottom