• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    How do you know this? I'm sure some folks "went to stay with Aunt Sally for the weekend" while the riots took place. That's a very common example of "bugging out".

Sure, the store owners who had their livelihoods at stake decided to stay-- and that was their right and choice. But don't you suppose a few of them sent their families off to a safer place while they defended their stores? I would consider that "bugging out".

Yes, yes, and many Brits sent their children to the English countryside during the Second World War--there were organizations that assisted with it, but the average adult stayed, worked, and lived. Sending the kids away isn't what I'm talking about; it's a point, but they children left so that the adults could stay and handle business.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I know that I am trying to get specific. I want a historical example that is feasible today.

And esrice, as you posted above, and as I commented on earlier, I am totally into being prepared. Several of us were having this discussion over a few cigars, and just couldn't come up with a reason (with the notable exception of zombies) that would drive us out of our homes. Does that mean we have limited ourselves to only being prepared in our homes? No, but I want to hear what others have to say.
    you won't hear stories of the people who left to a safer place, you only hear about the ones who stayed and faced disaster. their were plenty of people that left NO, unfortunately there were far more that stayed. do you remember the the scenes of the freeways leading away from NO that were jammed with people fleeing before Katrina hit?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    00411264.jpg

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Like this? :dunno:

Fleeing Katrina to Atlanta: One Family's Story | News | English

ETA: Or are you trying to look for specific examples as an inhabitant of the Hoosier state?

You are exactly right, Katrina was an example, and this is a compelling story. Residents of New Orleans had been warned by the ACE for decades to leave because "the big one" was coming. Maybe that is why Katrina is a little off my radar. It wasn't a surprise. When I am told that the city will flood sooner than later and the death toll will be catastrophic, I think twice about where I live...castles made of sand and all that. In addition the the decades long advance notice, there were days of Doppler evidence that showed that this would be the big one.

Katrina was an example where S hit fan, but not without over 50 years worth of warnings.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Katrina was an example where S hit fan, but not without over 50 years worth of warnings.

Agreed. But its still a specific example of people "bugging out"-- fleeing their homes quickly in order to escape impending danger. The fact that they had warning (lots or little) doesn't change that.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i totally agree that if the option to stay put and hold up in my own home is there then that's the route i want to go, but like i said before, i like to be prepared for other options JIC

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    We can look at the Japanese, and if you want to prepare for a tsunami or a nuclear reactor melt down (Indiana has no active nuclear reactors) be my guest. I added the stipulation "realistic," but far be it from me to impose rules...

You want "realistic and historic" examples . IDK enough about history to give you examples , realistic however is a matter of perception .

In my world , I think it's perfectly realistic to consider that we're living next door to a state (Il.) that has 11 reactors , 4 of which are the same kind Japan is having trouble with and make preps for now . Guess which way the wind blows .

The guberment may shut down soon , remember a few months ago when the folks couldn't file for their unemployment checks ? Folks were pretty pissed about having to wait a day or so to get their money .

Suppose something happens that stops ALL "entitlements" (SS , WIC , etc) . You think folks are gonna be civil about it ?

How' bout another financial collapse , say this time we're switching over to the euro or amero . Think folks will be civil about that ?

Point is , nobody knows whats coming tomorrow and because we live in a time and circumstances that have never been before , changes may be coming that we might not like .

Realistic ? About as realistic as being on a DHS domestic terrorist list for being a former soldier , gun / Bible owner .

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well ya know what, you asked a question in your OP, I gave several examples, then you claim folks aren't answering your specific question, so I gave some more examples which you've ignored.

How about this: I don't know what you are trying to ask or if you are trying to prove, but I'm done playing your moving target game.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    No nukes in Indiana, partially true. No nukes used for powering all the homes, but there are reactors in Indiana.

Nukes in Illinois AND a nice fault line running through that state, and to reuse a line already said, "guess which way the wind blows".

Natural disasters are becoming more and more common place, severe earthquakes followed by tsunamis, plus guess what, that big old super volcano in Yellow Stone is becoming active. Ash cloud can reach here.

All it takes is one large natural disaster in the region and those that are without will be fighting to get what they need to survive.

Hell, I'm not even part of the culture but I can see all those reasons plus other man made ones causing reasons to "bug out".

Never mind all the old cultures with their prophetic predictions that next year on winter solstice the beginning of the end happens, with what has happened all over the world with natural disasters is enough to make anyone think.

The only reason you don't see mass hysteria in Japan is because they are a very polite culture. Another major disaster like Katrina in New Orleans will prove again our culture is not as polite.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    But the government collapsing isn't going to drive me from my home. Why would it?

Civil unrest? What does that even mean? Going door to door and killing? Bring it, that's why I'm fortified at home.

As to questioning "realistic" and "perceptions," I don't really understand. Realistic meaning being of a plausible and applicable nature within the boundaries of the natural world I suppose. As to perception...I don't know, a individual understanding of a tangible or intangible concept?

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative and I'm not questioning anyone's system.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Is this a joke?

No, the severity of hurricanes and earthquakes has risen. Super volcanoes again becoming active, not a joke at all. The occurrences of these has risen also, making them more common place.

Just because the media has flooded everyone with every last detail desensitizing everyone to it doesn't mean they aren't occurring more.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Civil unrest? What does that mean?
    Clearly you are a non-conformist.

When riots break out in South Bend, which is only a 90 mile drive from your home in Munster, you better take off for the mountains. Obviously the 'Zombies' will walk through St Joseph, LaPorte, Porter and 90% of Lake County to get to your specific home.

Last time I checked, when the riots broke out in "south central" Los Angeles nobody in Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Malibu or any other area was even affected!

You need to stop making sense. These people don't want to hear factual evidence about what has happened in EVERY OTHER case in HISTORY where there have been WARS, ECONOMIC COLLAPSES, or CIVIL UNREST.

No, the severity of hurricanes and earthquakes has risen.
    True. But we don't have hurricanes in Indiana. Earthquakes here, even very mild quakes, are so rare that they are non-events. Its possible that it may rain frogs here, but I'm not betting on that either.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    When I cannot provide for and protect my family I will bug out. The cause is irrelevant.
    What if the New Madrid fault lets go and takes out the railroad bridges over the Mississippi? There really arent that many. How long until the shelves @ Jewel, Aldi, wherever, are virtually bare?
    I live in an urban area where defending the home against a (smallish) band of thugs wouldn't be a problem, but how long would it take before the entire population of the Chicago metroplex is hungry and pissed off?
    One specific concrete example is the great depression. Many thousands were on the move.
    Does that answer your question or are you going to add more caveats now?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    As to questioning "realistic" and "perceptions," I don't really understand.

One mans' trash is anothers' treasure , same kinda thing .

A person may have contingency plans based on their subjective , perception of potential realistic events that may get them labeled as crazy by folks that think nothing that bad will ever happen .

Top Bottom