• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Open Carry on your next Dr's visit. Problem solved.

When scheduling my last colonoscopy, the doctor simply asked that I leave my handgun with my wife (in the waiting room) during the procedure.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    This is crazy, guns have nothing to with my health. It is a shame that it has come to this.

I work at a IU Health facility in the ER, the day I hear this question asked at triage is the day I put in my two weeks and they damned sure will know why. :patriot:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think if a doctor or one of his employees asks me if I own any firearms, I will tell them that at last count I had 2546 firearms in my home. Uuuhhhh, or is that 2548? Then sit back and watch the blood drain from their face!

jfryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Schererville
    As someone that has worked in healthcare until recently, don't take it out on the people asking the questions, they are only following directives. At our clinic, that question has been asked for at least the last year, because I've seen it show up on our dictation. They do it under the "safety risk assesment". Same reason as they also ask if the house has smoke detectors. It's a bunch of BS. Trust me, there are tons of things we have to ask, but don't want to, because we know they're stupid. One of the later ones was race & language spoken. Obviously if the person is in front of you, you usually know the race, and if you can understand them, obviously they speak English. Our front desk people always caught the brunt of it by being REQUIRED to ask,even though they didn't want to. Instead of being mean to the people doing their job, have some consideration for their position & be a little understanding. Better idea would be to address that with the office/clinic administration.

Jdmcx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    I wasn't rude to her I just told her a BS income and that I didn't have any firearms. I will not put myself on the radar. The less people know about your business the better, no judgment ect... I was pretty pissed that I was the only one paying a co-pay though, sat and watched several people including the guy with the "homemade" tattoos on his hands and knuckles check out no cost. Meanwhile I am trying to hurry up and get to work to drag the devil by his tail to make ends meet.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Nope, I will NEVER tell anyone that I dont know about firearms. (cept the LEO"S cause ya cant lie to them). That is private info, your not allowed to know, too many people cant keep their mouths shut.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Hmm, a moral conundrum. Tell the truth and risk future consequences or lie with an NRA hat on and not...

I think they are required to list a yes or no. Refusal to answer may be an automatic yes or no, we'll need someone in the field under direction to ask this question to fulfill their INGO duties and inform us. I think until we know what the repercussions are the best thing to do is tell the truth and say no.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    As someone that has worked in healthcare until recently, don't take it out on the people asking the questions, they are only following directives. At our clinic, that question has been asked for at least the last year, because I've seen it show up on our dictation. They do it under the "safety risk assesment". Same reason as they also ask if the house has smoke detectors. It's a bunch of BS. Trust me, there are tons of things we have to ask, but don't want to, because we know they're stupid. .

I need more employees like you--ones that do EVERYTHING that they are required to do all the time. Of the 1000+ I've employed over the years, I've not had one of those yet.

In other words: Just refuse to ask

jfryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Schererville
    I need more employees like you--ones that do EVERYTHING that they are required to do all the time. Of the 1000+ I've employed over the years, I've not had one of those yet.

In other words: Just refuse to ask

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.. Everything is audited, and if you DON'T ask, you will get written up for it. Medicine has changed in the 17 years I've been in it. It's all bureaucratic BS, with new government regulations saying "if you don't do this, you don't get paid".. Money has become the big motivator , which sucks for the patients, because they are the ones that ultimately lose out. Do you know that doctors offices get money back from the government just for doing prescriptions electronically, and if they don't do so much percentage, Medicare will penalize them? It's a joke.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I was at a new Dr. a few weeks ago in Brownsburg. He reached down to feel my ankles for some reason and grabbed a hand full of J frame S%W. I told him sorry it was my defensive gun. He just laughed and said "I was going for it" as in grabbing for it..

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why lie when asked that question?

I have never been asked, yet. But when I am, I'm going to PROUDLY tell the truth. Because its my right to do so. And I have nothing to hide or be ashamed about.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

We're Hoosier - born to be polite. It's hard to say "no" when someone asks us something. But when people ask for information we don't want them to have, you should feel comfortable in saying something like, "confidential", "private" or "no comment". Practice this next time you're at Best Buy, or where ever, and they ask for your phone number or ZIP code.

Usually, the question is, "what's your phone number" instead of, "May I have your phone number." You can't readily say 'no' because it doesn't fit the question, grammatically speaking. Subconsciously, you mind thinks there's a question that needs answering, I have the answer so I must provide it. You're already past the point of deciding if you want to provide the information or not - that was decided for you by the cashier (or nurse).

If you feel uncomfortable about the question then you should pause and take control of the conversation until you are in control again. It's your information and you have the right to say when and who you give it to. It takes some skill and practice to be able to do this with authority and not brute force.

I've been this way my whole life :)

I always tell them, "It's none of your business" !!!

Some say, "That was rude."

I say, "NO, that was loud, I CAN be rude if you want me to !!" :laugh:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's none of my doctors business if I have guns. They'll have to leave that chapter a mystery in my book. None of his or Obamas business.

A freakin men. And with Obamacare coming around the bend, this type of info will go into your medical file, and the feds will have access to it.

And given this administrations penchant for violating the constitution, who knows WHAT they will do with that info.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why the butthurt? Is he/she a good doctor? You could have a GREAT doctor who doesn't like guns and you choose to leave for a pro-gun doctor who ends up being worthless. I was asked about guns in the home 10yrs ago by my son's pediatrician. I said yes and she went over some safety tips and we moved on. No biggie. I didn't feel "violated", "ashamed", or anything like that. If you don't want them to know you have guns...answer "no". There is no pride involved. Pick your battles. Example: Many local LE departments use a company to do hiring and psych evaluations for potential recruits. I bet you didn't know that they ask about owning firearms and it is a red flag if you own any. So any potential recruit would answer "no" about firearms and move on. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of owning guns. It has everything to do with keeping things moving along and not getting hung up on something so trivial.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Open Carry on your next Dr's visit. Problem solved.

When scheduling my last colonoscopy, the doctor simply asked that I leave my handgun with my wife (in the waiting room) during the procedure.

A good thing you left it with your wife! I've heard horror stories of things being left inside a persons body after a procedure! Can you say "Glockectomy?" or insert (no pun intended) favorite manufacturer.

Top Bottom