Fort Wayne

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why the butthurt? Is he/she a good doctor? You could have a GREAT doctor who doesn't like guns and you choose to leave for a pro-gun doctor who ends up being worthless. I was asked about guns in the home 10yrs ago by my son's pediatrician. ....

The butthurt is that its nobodies business.
    It has nothing to do with health.
    The thing that needs to be looked at is sitting in front of them.
    When you get your car looked at, do you answer questions about your driveway and garage?
    Threat Evaluation? B... Stinkin.... S.
    How about chemicals, pools, family members with mental illness, or a dozen other things that kill kids.

Like the question about income.
    None of their business.
    They have my insurance card.
    My money is none of their business.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    We should all respond with rude personal questions of our own.....Are you gay? Are you a virgin? Have you ever filed bankruptcy?

I'm with you, sir...

I've got as much business asking about their sexual preferences or finances as they do asking about my guns or car or anything else not directly tied to my health.

Fortunately my doc is a libertarian leaning gun owner. And he already knows the answer to the question.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I went to the doc about month ago, nurse came in and asked all the usual Questions Then asked the firearm question, told her nope wouldn't have em in my house! After I left and got into my car , looked in my rear view mirror and yup, had my NRA hat on! Oh well,

That made my day!!! :D:laugh::lmfao::rofl::lol2:

I cannot wait until I go to the doctor again. I will have some nice answers for these questions....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is crazy, guns have nothing to with my health. It is a shame that it has come to this.

I work at a IU Health facility in the ER, the day I hear this question asked at triage is the day I put in my two weeks and they damned sure will know why. :patriot:

....even when the reason for the visit is psych related with suicidal or homicidal ideations?

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple.. Everything is audited, and if you DON'T ask, you will get written up for it. Medicine has changed in the 17 years I've been in it. It's all bureaucratic BS, with new government regulations saying "if you don't do this, you don't get paid".. Money has become the big motivator , which sucks for the patients, because they are the ones that ultimately lose out. Do you know that doctors offices get money back from the government just for doing prescriptions electronically, and if they don't do so much percentage, Medicare will penalize them? It's a joke.

Allow me to be more specific: My parent company has a rehire form that asks if the person has ever been convicted of a felony, and it askes me to rate thier appearance. Since I do not think it's relevant, I check no without ever having asked, and I refuse to rate appearance. When they say, "but the form has to be filled out completely." I say, "Okay." But I never comply.

I am not a mindless automaton that will do things that I do not believe in. YMMV

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ....even when the reason for the visit is psych related with suicidal or homicidal ideations?

They are asking anytine.
    If you take your kid in for a fever, the state of your gun cabinet has no bearing.
    Neither does the amount of income, if you beat your dogs, or if you have a hybrid car.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They are asking anytine.
    If you take your kid in for a fever, the state of your gun cabinet has no bearing.
    Neither does the amount of income, if you beat your dogs, or if you have a hybrid car.

I know that and in normal situations, it doesn't make sense.

My only point is that Courts have and will hold health care providers liable for the criminal actions of patients if their actions are foreseeable against a specific potential victim. The same goes for failure to take reasonable steps to prevent suicide.

In the situations where a patient expresses certain psych symptoms, it would be prudent to explore how real their threats are including the access to weapons. These are truly rare situations, but just as silly as a uniform rule to always ask, is a uniform rule to never ask.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I was also asked about firearms when I went to my last doc. Won't be seeing him again. I wouldn't get too worked up about the insurance thing though. That's pretty standard.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I went to the doc about month ago, nurse came in and asked all the usual Questions Then asked the firearm question, told her nope wouldn't have em in my house! After I left and got into my car , looked in my rear view mirror and yup, had my NRA hat on! Oh well,
    L M A O ! :laugh:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

That would be visiting a shrink, not your local Dr. which is what this thread was started about.

Swimming pools kill way more kids than guns.....when they ask if I have a pool they can ask about guns........not really.

By the way do shrinks ask about if you have a razor, knife, rope, car with a garage when and if they ask about guns?

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012

Explain to me why it is a medical matter if they own firearms?

If they have suicidal or homicidal thoughts they need a IDO and a pysch eval.

Gonna ask if they have any hammers or knives?

And I just want to say I am talking about ER and primary care physician visits, if the patient is seeing a a shrink or someone of that sort it may well be pertinent for them to know if they have firearms.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My friends, I've been doing med mal defense for 15 years. Th ER and the primary care physicians are the first ones to encounter psych issues. I have been involved in cases involving these issues.

Again, it is a truly rare circumstance, but "zero tolerance" is for "zero thinkers".

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My DR. is a gun guy, so he's never asked this question. I went in one time carrying, he asked me to remove my shirt, told him I was carrying he said cool what'cha got? My last visit we spent 30 min talking guns before he even asked me what was wrong.
    Would it be rude if when the nurse asked the gun question if you asked her if she had any sex toys?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Geez, some really sensitive people here. I find the best doctors for me and my kids. It helps that my wife works for the IU School of Medicine so she knows which IU docs are the best in their fields. I could give 2 craps if they like guns or the 2A. If they ask about guns, I say NO and move on. It is none of their business so why become drama queens over it? They have yet to see my concealed carry piece.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Especially in those situations!

maybe I'm not following correctly... are you saying they should especially NOT ask someone if they have the means to kill themselves when they state their intention to do so, or are you saying they SHOULD ask in those situations?

Top Bottom