• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple.. Everything is audited, and if you DON'T ask, you will get written up for it. Medicine has changed in the 17 years I've been in it. It's all bureaucratic BS, with new government regulations saying "if you don't do this, you don't get paid".. Money has become the big motivator , which sucks for the patients, because they are the ones that ultimately lose out. Do you know that doctors offices get money back from the government just for doing prescriptions electronically, and if they don't do so much percentage, Medicare will penalize them? It's a joke.

But as far as I know this is not a required question... cannot find anything in CMS requirement anyway.

here is an article Lawyers, Guns and Doctors | The Health Care Blog that I suggest everyone read. Might give you some things to bring up if your doctor asks you about gun ownership. (and I don't agree with that authors idea on background checks so don't get off on a tangent)

This is basically the government and anti-gun medical organizations like the AMA trying to make subtle or not so subtle labeling of guns as unsafe. Slow moving of the psyche of a population by incrementalism.

Many of the doctors and staff don't even realize they are being used. So you could use this as a way to educate them.

For example:
    Say something like "how is this relevant to my visit and your treatment plan today?" They will probably say it isn't about today's visit, but is about public safety and trying to prevent accidental injuries etc.. Which you can then ask if they are going to ask about all other potential dangers (pools, pets, power tools, stairs, exposed wiring, automobiles, sports, etc). If they say no, ask them: "Why not? especially since injuries and deaths are much more likely in the family pool then they are from a gun or power tools"

Might help a few of them realize they are being used.

You can then say.. "I really don't need to be educated about safety issues in the home or elsewhere. Please note these question are "Not Applicable" to me and please make a note to skip them in the future, and let's instead focus on the reason I am here today."

No matter what, I would have a prepared response to questions that aren't relevant to your visit. With medical records going electronic it will be easy for the government to find out what is in those records if they really want to, illegal or not. Once that info is online there is no taking it back.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Obamacare restricts doctors’ ability to ask patients about guns, a largely overlooked but significant challenge to a movement in American medicine to treat firearms as a matter of public health.

Obama's executive orders says Doctors can ask. 16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Learn more: Obama's 23 executive orders on gun control: Doctors become snitches, gun ownership is a 'disease' and more

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It might not be an issue if the government wasn't so incredibly involved in healthcare, and becoming more so as each day passes. If you think the government isn't encouraging physicians to ask about and document firearm possession you are sadly mistaken. Remove government from healthcare, force the government to abide by and grant the privacy guaranteed by HIPPA, and then if the physician still wants to ask, your statements might make more sense.
    Then you answer "NO" when asked. Then the "Government" will never know you own guns and you can sleep better knowing they aren't going to come after them had you answered "yes".

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Why the butthurt? Is he/she a good doctor? You could have a GREAT doctor who doesn't like guns and you choose to leave for a pro-gun doctor who ends up being worthless. I was asked about guns in the home 10yrs ago by my son's pediatrician. I said yes and she went over some safety tips and we moved on. No biggie. I didn't feel "violated", "ashamed", or anything like that. If you don't want them to know you have guns...answer "no". There is no pride involved. Pick your battles. Example: Many local LE departments use a company to do hiring and psych evaluations for potential recruits. I bet you didn't know that they ask about owning firearms and it is a red flag if you own any. So any potential recruit would answer "no" about firearms and move on. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of owning guns. It has everything to do with keeping things moving along and not getting hung up on something so trivial.

Sounds like its time to contract with a new company then. Maybe this is where the problems are stemming from, all these PD's are hiring people that don't have a clue about firearms or the gun culture in general? I don't think it's trivial at all, it's part of an agenda that doesn't have our best interests at heart at all.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Been a question asked by physicians for years now. When MiniJet was little, I was asked that question by a new doc's paperwork. It was probably Fletch who offered me a smart alec reply...:D so I took it.
    When the nurse commented that I skipped that question, I said "Because she's not here for a gun shot wound". They left it alone after that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    And then they check the box -"yes." better to just lie. As far as I know its not yet a crime to lie to your doctor. Not that its a good idea where your actual health is concerned.

Probably a grey area. If you lie in an attempt to get narcotics it's a felony.

If the .gov is paying for your healthcare (Medicare, Medicaid, Obama) there could be a fraud argument made if you lie during your visit. Probably not about that sort of question, but about health related questioning maybe?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Been a question asked by physicians for years now. When MiniJet was little, I was asked that question by a new doc's paperwork. It was probably Fletch who offered me a smart alec reply...:D so I took it.
    When the nurse commented that I skipped that question, I said "Because she's not here for a gun shot wound". They left it alone after that.

I just told them if the doc made house calls the question would be relevant. :)

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Then you answer "NO" when asked. Then the "Government" will never know you own guns and you can sleep better knowing they aren't going to come after them had you answered "yes".

And what happens when .gov finds out from another source that you DO own weapons, and then they charge you with fraud?

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    how about "not applicable" as an answer for ANY question that isn't relevant to the visit that day? Don't have to lie but don' have to admit anything either

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I really feel this is an initial step in getting healthcare and insurance regulated through firearms. Have a firearm? = worse insurance or an added insurance cost. Pushing law abiding citizens to DISARM due to living costs. Cowardly and sneaky, seems custom fit for Obama's agenda.

You are 100 percent correct...they will be charging anyone who smokes or has smoked never got it exactly clear an extra $5000.00 a year. Take about pushing granny over the cliff...we all know that medicare will end up under Obama care and some old people only make 6 or 7 K a year.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    how about "not applicable" as an answer for ANY question that isn't relevant to the visit that day? Don't have to lie but don' have to admit anything either

Many forms don't have that option, and many offices won't take that as an answer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Probably a grey area. If you lie in an attempt to get narcotics it's a felony.

If the .gov is paying for your healthcare (Medicare, Medicaid, Obama) there could be a fraud argument made if you lie during your visit. Probably not about that sort of question, but about health related questioning maybe?

When we accepted government health care that we never signed away our rights...my husband served 26 years in the military, we have Tricare insurance in a few years we will be rolled onto medicare like it or not.
    Do I have guns, what kind of car I drive, do I have a non electric razor , are questions that are not related to my health and I will refuse to answer them.

Top Bottom