Doctors required to ask about guns in the home. Do you have to answer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    My wife recently took our three year old daughter in for her annual checkup. Sure enough, the doc asks the question. My wife responded "That's not a relevant question to this visit.... next".

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    There are an awful lot of people on INGO whose underpants are too tight! The only doctors I can imagine asking this question are pediatricians and family practice docs seeing children. They're just doing what they've been indoctrinated to do. And, unfortunately, they have documentation requirements they have to meet in order to get paid and a lot of that documentation has no relationship to the care being given. That being said, relax, and just lie. There's no crime in lying to the doctor. I get lied to all the time. In the ED the only time I ask about guns, or weapons in general, is when someone is being seen for mental illness and suicide/homicide risk needs to be assessed. Most, the vast majority, of doctors are interested in helping people. Again, take a big breath, relax, and lie. You have a doctor's permission.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There are an awful lot of people on INGO whose underpants are too tight! The only doctors I can imagine asking this question are pediatricians and family practice docs seeing children. They're just doing what they've been indoctrinated to do. And, unfortunately, they have documentation requirements they have to meet in order to get paid and a lot of that documentation has no relationship to the care being given. That being said, relax, and just lie. There's no crime in lying to the doctor. I get lied to all the time. In the ED the only time I ask about guns, or weapons in general, is when someone is being seen for mental illness and suicide/homicide risk needs to be assessed. Most, the vast majority, of doctors are interested in helping people. Again, take a big breath, relax, and lie. You have a doctor's permission.
    No crime to lying about it yet............

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As I said, a mad man.

Do not listen to him, INGO.

Point one: Given his and your comments and my own experience in medicine, I'd listen to both of you. Having done so, I'll weigh both before making an informed decision. The decision at which I arrived, having done that, is that his advice is worth consideration. Yours, not so much.

Point two: Re-read your first line quoted above. Now, consider the site rule about insulting other members. If you cannot confine your comments to the subject matter rather than the person speaking, do not comment. This will serve as the in-thread warning of the same.

Blessings,
    Bill

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

It's not about underpants. It's about privacy.
    If I take a kid in for a broken arm, why do they need to know about a gun?
    When you buy a refrigerator does the salesman ask you to describe in detail your last sexual encounter?
    Or why not tell perfect strangers your social security number and how much you have in your bank?

If my mechanic ask me if I've been driving the car over rough roads because he's seeing some damage to the frame, sounds like a valid question.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    Point one: Given his and your comments and my own experience in medicine, I'd listen to both of you. Having done so, I'll weigh both before making an informed decision. The decision at which I arrived, having done that, is that his advice is worth consideration. Yours, not so much.

Point two: Re-read your first line quoted above. Now, consider the site rule about insulting other members. If you cannot confine your comments to the subject matter rather than the person speaking, do not comment. This will serve as the in-thread warning of the same.

Blessings,
    Bill

Point one: Given my own experience in medicine and what I've read from either one of them, I wouldn't listen to either one of them.

Point two: I wish there was more consistency with regard to such, as other more severe instances, don't seem to merit such intervention.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had to stop by the walk in clinic yesterday about an ear infection. So I doubled checked their check in form...no questions about guns. (Dunn Memorial--I think it's St Vicent's now).

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The world has gone mad and information gathering is at least out-of-control and perhaps ludicrous. The last time I visited a doctor I had seen previously, I -- an obviously 6'3" white guy standing there talking in English -- was asked, "What is your race?" and "What language do you speak?"

My medical records now list me as an Asian who speaks only Swahili. :thumbsup:

From now on, I am not answering anything not pertinent to my medical care.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Point one: Given my own experience in medicine and what I've read from either one of them, I wouldn't listen to either one of them.

Point two: I wish there was more consistency with regard to such, as other more severe instances, don't seem to merit such intervention.

I said I'd listen to both. I make my best decisions with more, not less information.

If you see instances that you think should be addressed, just click "report post". That lets the whole mod team know something needs attention. Sometimes, we see it for ourselves (like a "new member" a couple of days ago that I noticed, whose name referred to IC 35-41-1-9(1), but we get a couple thousand posts a day on a slow day, and there's no way nine of us, plus Fenway, can read every post. There are a few members who help us out by bringing stuff to our attention, and we appreciate it.

Blessings,
    Bill

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    I said I'd listen to both. I make my best decisions with more, not less information.

If you see instances that you think should be addressed, just click "report post". That lets the whole mod team know something needs attention. Sometimes, we see it for ourselves (like a "new member" a couple of days ago that I noticed, whose name referred to IC 35-41-1-9(1), but we get a couple thousand posts a day on a slow day, and there's no way nine of us, plus Fenway, can read every post. There are a few members who help us out by bringing stuff to our attention, and we appreciate it.

Blessings,
    Bill

I do know what you said, and I understand your rationale for doing it. Please understand though, as I do try to cut through the extraneous in order to come to making an informed decision, that I generally don't listen to those:

• with far leaning radical views,
    • persons as known liars,
    • individuals that continue to spout the same misinformation in the face of authoritative and credible sources that advocate otherwise,
    • or those that could be best described as being the Village Idiot.
    I appreciate your advice in regard to reporting insulting posts, and have already done so, mostly without result. As such, labeling another as a "Mad Man" doesn't really strike as being insulting, especially when considering the more insulting posts previously utilized without moderator intervention.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    Do patients have zero responsibility for their choices? Are we not to hold them accountable for any of their consent?

I will be the first to admit that there is a gross lack of true informed consent in the medical field. But I don't naively believe that doctors exist for the sole purpose of prolonging my life or making it better. They offer a service. Nothing more. If I cannot be discriminating enough to figure out a way to evaluate that service, then I have no one to blame but myself if I accept that service and in my ignorance find out that it was subpar.

There is no excuse in this day and age for not getting more information, for not becoming the expert before moving ahead with decisions. Moving forward without doing this necessarily means accepting the risk of doing so. That includes accepting the risk that the medical care provider doesn't know any more than you do.

While I agree with the fact that the patients share some responsibility for their healthcare and that many of us do not do due diligence, the healthcare providers do not make it easy for us to make informed choices. This is probably due to the large bureaucracies running these hospital networks and insurance companies.

On one doctor's visit, I ask for what it would cost for the visit. The reaction was one of a deer in the headlights. They could not answer my question; they have no idea. How am I supposed to make an informed choice if I cannot even get such basic information upon request?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I lived for several years in the southwest and owned a business that served several physicians who became close personal friends of ours over the course of several years.These were (IMO),quality people who had the best interests of my family in mind.They EMPHASIZED the importance of proper diet,and our PERSONAL responsibility to care for our selves.They were very concerned with infectious diseases that were passed around in clinics,hospitals,and even doctors offices.These were not pill pushers...They worked willingly in communities beset with poverty and drug addiction for much less pay than they might have earned in a major city. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure! (Madness? I hope not!) Self-reliant...non-typical..Those I will admit.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I do know what you said, and I understand your rationale for doing it. Please understand though, as I do try to cut through the extraneous in order to come to making an informed decision, that I generally don't listen to those:

• with far leaning radical views,
    • persons as known liars,
    • individuals that continue to spout the same misinformation in the face of authoritative and credible sources that advocate otherwise,
    • or those that could be best described as being the Village Idiot.

How do you define these?

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    How do you define these?

They aren't definitive in themselves, but rather a subjective standard based upon metrics of past statement and/or behaviors and circumstances.

Though its a good bet whenever they state an extreme opinion (ie: someone or everyone has an unconditional right to do something or anything OR nobody or only a few people have an unconditional right to do something or anything) its generally a good bet that they meet the criteria.

Top Bottom