Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Went to the doctor for our newborn checkup. The nurse went through her mess of questions about smoking in the house etc. Then she asked me if I had any firearms in my house.... WTF! Why does it matter. I asked the doctor what that was about to which he immediately replies "Its not like were asking for some government agency or something..." He claims it has to do with infant safety, but Im unsure how.

Input?

Standard question for families with children.

My reply was "Yes, however that has nothing to do with why I'm here. Next question?"

They once asked a slightly different question: "Are any firearms in the house locked and secured away from the children?" My reply was "My wife and I are confident in the safety measures we've enacted. Next question?"

You are NOT obligated to answer the question. Mind, though, that they are not obligated to treat you, unless it is an emergent condition.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    My first thought would be to say, "No, I had to sell all my guns to buy food for all my exotic reptiles and a new wood chipper for the family room. Why?" I would really just not answer that question.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Do not answer any questions about smoking or guns. None of their business. That's my opinion.

With all due respect, you do understand smoking is bad for children (and everyone else), right? It is pertinent information to a doctor.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is just odd to me. I have 5 children ranging from infant to teenager. They all go to the doctor regularly. I have never once been asked about guns in my house. I've heard every other quesion on the planet. I was once asked if I was aware that I should keep all recreational drugs away from my kids. This was immediately after I answered NO to the "Do you use recreational drugs?" question. The look on my face must've been priceless. Why no ma'am, I don't use drugs, I just keep a massive stash in my kids' toybox....you know...just in case.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    I'm not sure why anyway is afraid to answer. You most likely have a LTCH so what .gov information are you worried about being obtained?

Because govt is so incompetent that they need multiple collection points to verify the info and cross-reference you against some other govt database that doesn't (yet) easily interact.

I was fingerprinted a decade ago by the ISP when I briefly worked a job that required it. Yet I had to re-print again for my LARRY this summer. I inquired, why not use the ones "already in the system," and save some hassle and taxpayer money? It's not like my fingerprints have changed, that's kinda the point, right? The response I got - (paraphrasing) those records would be too hard/time consuming to find, if they still exist.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When they asked me if I had any firearms in the house, I said "No, it's on my hip." The nurse gave me a strange look. Doc was a shooter though.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Not sure how I feel about this one. Though I can understand the relevance of a smoking question. Yes, it may be butting in to your business but it's a good screening tool, down the road, to be honest. Asking someone "are you passing gas?" or "when was your last bowel movement?" is butting in to your business too, but we need to know these things. :)

I agree though the firearms question is hardly relevant.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    My first thought would be to say, "No, I had to sell all my guns to buy food for all my exotic reptiles and a new wood chipper for the family room. Why?" I would really just not answer that question.

Lmao. That is hilarious. Actually do that and I'll rep you once a day for a year. This thing is probably driven by insurance companies. Ie if Doctor wants to get paid, doctor completes form or doctor doesn't get paid....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As Reno said, standard questions these days.
    They were just starting to stick those in the questionnaire when my kid was just about out of elementary.
    Just like you wouldn't divulge private information about what kind of cash, jewelry, or other collectible investments you have laying around...stating if/what/where your firearms are is nobody's business. Especially when it's being recorded in documentation that you have no control over keeping private. Hippa schmippa...if you work in an office, you can pull a file up.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Geez, just say "no guns" when asked, controversy over. My doctor asked those same questions years ago. "no guns"...and move on. When I was hired on my current department, I had to have a mental evaluation. One of the questions was about collecting guns. It is a red flag question. For some reason they will flag those who have large gun collections. Total BS. BUT, many people know this ahead of time. So the questions is ALWAYS answered, "No guns other than the department guns." Maybe throw in a, "I hate guns." :) I am not going to sit there and argue WHY it's a red flag. Just like I'm not going to argue with a doctor. If they are good doctors, give them the answer they want to hear and move on. Good doctors are hard to find and when you do, keep a hold of them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The only people I ask if they have access to guns are those who claim to be suicidal. If they have a Remmington shirt on or something I'll talk about firearms a bit. Someone decided that in the general safety questionnaire they should ask about guns. If there are guns, they are supposed to further ask if they are secured to prevent accidental injuries. that's really as far as anyone cares. Same thing about birth control/barrier contraception if answer yes to sexually active questions, or helmets if you ride a bicycle/motorcycle

An ounce of prevention...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    that's really as far as anyone cares. Same thing about birth control/barrier contraception if answer yes to sexually active questions, or helmets if you ride a bicycle/motorcycle

It doesn't matter if anyone cares. It's nobody's business unless the PATIENT makes it so by choice.
    No offense to your profession, but doctors tend to overreach privacy boundaries LOTS of times.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Our Pediatrician has been asking this question or 10 years and in speaking with other people ALL pediatricians ask this question. It lets them know if there is a potential danger in the home. They will also ask if you lock it up.

If you like the doctor just tell them you have no firearms. I'm not sure if or who they would report it to but I'm sure they report it somewhere. Switching to another doctor is more of a pain than it's worth because they will also ask you those questions.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The only people I ask if they have access to guns are those who claim to be suicidal. If they have a Remmington shirt on or something I'll talk about firearms a bit. Someone decided that in the general safety questionnaire they should ask about guns. If there are guns, they are supposed to further ask if they are secured to prevent accidental injuries. that's really as far as anyone cares. Same thing about birth control/barrier contraception if answer yes to sexually active questions, or helmets if you ride a bicycle/motorcycle

Not if you want to remain My doctor or expect payment :noway:

It doesn't matter if anyone cares. It's nobody's business unless the PATIENT makes it so by choice.
    No offense to your profession, but doctors tend to overreach privacy boundaries LOTS of times.

+1 :yesway:

Top Bottom