• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What are you disagreeing with? I never said he should be forced to take on any patient. He's not providing emergency care, so he's perfectly free to pick and choose, unlike me. I don't think it should be any other way in the US. I said *I* don't want to worry that my doctor may change his care of me based on his politics.

It's politics to YOU. To him, it's the cause to which he's dedicated his life, and his seeing it fu**ed with by people who live their lives not by what they produce, or by the lives they save, or by the good they do, but by the favors they hand out, the spin they put on their selfish acts of power, and their total dedication to the continuation of their careers in deception.

It's not politics to him. Not even a little bit.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    What are you disagreeing with? I never said he should be forced to take on any patient. He's not providing emergency care, so he's perfectly free to pick and choose, unlike me. I don't think it should be any other way in the US. I said *I* don't want to worry that my doctor may change his care of me based on his politics.

I normally agree quite a lot with you... and I think I get the point that you are trying to make. May I suggest that it's not only his politics that are in play here... He likely sees this as a threat to his business in its entirety. Doctors have had their "cheese moved" in a big way with this whole fiasco.

And if I had to choose one group of customers to eliminate out of my clients - Obama supporters seems like a good choice! Less lawsuits, less horse :poop:. What's not to like?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's politics to YOU. To him, it's the cause to which he's dedicated his life, and his seeing it fu**ed with by people who live their lives not by what they produce, or by the lives they save, or by the good they do, but by the favors they hand out, the spin they put on their selfish acts of power, and their total dedication to the continuation of their careers in deception.

It's not politics to him. Not even a little bit.

And this is different from the status quo ante how? The main reason I did not go on to medical school 15 years ago after being part of the system is because the system is not about practicing medicine, the system is about all sides gaming the system to their best advantage. I don't buy your spiel about his "cause vivre". If I could be a doctor practicing medicine the way it was 50 years ago with modern knowledge and technique I'd go back to pursue that career in a heartbeat. This current legislation will change the way the gamers are playing the system, but it doesn't fundamentally change the system. And THAT is what I'm pissed about.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

Is asking a sick man who he voted for last election and providing care (or not) based on that answer a violation of the Hippocratic Oath?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

Is asking a sick man who he voted for last election and providing care (or not) based on that answer a violation of the Hippocratic Oath?

I don't know. Would asking someone if they were the person who attempted to rob you and sabotage the care of all your other patients and providing care (or not) based on that answer a violation?

Is that oath a blanket requirement to provide care to anyone regardless of how much harm they are doing to you, yours, and your other patients?

Does that oath require one to be a slave to every whim of someone who is "sick"?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

He's not asking anyone anything. He's stating his opinion on the matter, and allowing prospective patients to self-select in or out of his customer base. In effect, he is his own truth in advertising.

I see it as no different than a business that posts a "no guns" sign. They don't ask every customer who comes in whether or not they're carrying, and a lot of us recognize that we're simply not welcome there and shop somewhere else. No harm, no foul -- not everybody has to be my friend.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I don't know. Would asking someone if they were the person who attempted to rob you and sabotage the care of all your other patients and providing care (or not) based on that answer a violation?

Is that oath a blanket requirement to provide care to anyone regardless of how much harm they are doing to you, yours, and your other patients?

Does that oath require one to be a slave to every whim of someone who is "sick"?

#1 You are correct. Great an-cap/min argument. :)

#2 I don't know, I'm not a doctor. My initial response is yes. This is based on the aid we provide to enemies in times of war.

#3 I don't know. The next time I see my doc I'll ask him to fetch me a Diet Coke.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    He's not asking anyone anything. He's stating his opinion on the matter, and allowing prospective patients to self-select in or out of his customer base. In effect, he is his own truth in advertising.

I see it as no different than a business that posts a "no guns" sign. They don't ask every customer who comes in whether or not they're carrying, and a lot of us recognize that we're simply not welcome there and shop somewhere else. No harm, no foul -- not everybody has to be my friend.

I see it slightly different as the healing provided by medicine transcends your access to the freshest produce in town. I am looking to justify my position on this, which is the same as the rest of those in this thread. I preach voluntary interactions daily. My mental stumbling blocks are all moral/ethical/philosophical. Not legal.

Personally, I would not go to this doctor.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    ME:
    Saw this as comment elsewhere regarding him.

ELSEWHERE:
    "But the real kicker is that, if we didn't understand it already from such behavior, he's unequivocally third rate: 1. after graduating from Rutgers in 1976, he could not even get into a United States Medical School. So, he deferred for two years and finally settled at St. George's University School of Medicine in GRENADA! - where it appears it took him FIVE years to graduate. 2. after that, it was one lackluster appointment after the other."

Yet another twist to this scam: ... from the Orlando Sentinel cited article, page two: "Cassell, whose lawyer wife, Leslie Campione, has declared herself a Republican candidate for Lake County commissioner...." Just perhaps this is all part of a marketing and publicity campaign to garner attention for the wife's political objectives?"

ME:
    If it's true, and I am too lazy to verify right now, but if it is true, regardless of my political beliefs I wouldn't want to go to him anyway.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I can think of quite a few that.... oh never mind. Mama always said, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all...:rolleyes:
    Part of what you said needs to be in quotes with credit to the author :)
    "Mama always said,if you can't say something nice,don't say anything at all" Thumper
    :)

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    :yesway: The free market at work. No private business should have to serve customers they don't want to serve.

Doctors speak out of both sides of their mouths. They want a free market in setting rates, but they want Congress to corrupt the free market to insulate them from the harm their errors cause.

Both sides in this discussion are full of hypocrites.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

The dr is not refusing care based on how people voted, and implications that he is doing so are deliberately untrue. He's stated quite clearly that he'll turn no patients away for that reason, if they choose to ignore the sign and come in anyway. He doesn't want their business, and would rather they go elsewhere, but that is not the same as refusing treatment.

Leftists really hate our freedom, and there response to cases like this bring out ample proof of their contempt for the rights of those that disagree with them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I sent this link to my brother, who, coincidentally, is also a urologist, however, in a different city. His reply is below:

...I saw the article in today's newspaper
    that I think you were referring to. Interesting!

Just wait until all the people who are added to Medicaid find that they
    still can't get an appointment to see a doctor, since so few doctors are
    willing to "pay for the privilege of treating these patients" since it
    costs more overhead, etc than the reimbursement Medicaid pays for care.

This from a man who deals with the problem and knows the facts, not just the suppositions. Should people be forced to lose money providing the service on which they base their livelihood? Should a plumber be forced to pipe a house, paying for the supplies out of his pocket and provide his labor without payment, solely because the person who will be living there won't have means from which to pay him? Who is going to pay the doctor or the plumber or any skilled service provider to allow him to feed his family?

Before you say "everyone else" or some version of that, consider the following anecdote. I don't know if it is or is not true, but I do know that the principle holds true even if the specifics do not.

A college professor offered his young, idealistic, mostly-liberal students a deal. He told them that if they so supported the idea that equal, fair distribution of whatever was a good idea, he would put it into practice in the grading of his students that term. He would take all the grades on a given assignment or test and average them, assigning that grade to everyone. The students voted and agreed. After the first test, those who had studied some were satisified, the Cs they earned were about the same as the high Cs they'd gotten based on the average. The students who had studied and worked and earned As and Bs were most dissatisfied, as they got the same Cs that the previous group did. Their effort, it seemed, was for naught. The group that earned Ds and Fs were happy and ecstatic, respectively, as both were assigned Cs despite going out and partying or whatever the nights leading up to the test. When it came time for the next test, the C, D, and F students had been basically rewarded for their lackadaisical attitudes and behavior, and the A and B students, seeing that everyone else was having a good time, shirked their studies; they were only going to get Cs at best anyway. When the scores came back, the class barely averaged D-quality work, and still, the A and B students, and now the C students as well, were penalized for working by not earning their full grade for which they'd worked. Every remaining test that semester saw straight Fs averaged.

Again, I don't know if the above anecdote actually happened or not. If it did, I would like to think that the professor went back and gave his students a chance to earn better grades. Part of me, however, hopes he did not, and allowed their lesson to sink in in a way no other could.

This "health care reform" can do no good. It will stifle any reason for doctors to excel and do well by artificially limiting the amount they can earn and will promote only mediocrity.

I was once given an illustration of the law of entropy:

If you have a teaspoon of fine wine added to a barrel of raw sewage, you have sewage.

If you have a teaspoon of raw sewage added to a barrel of fine wine, you have sewage.

At one time, we had a healthcare system analogous to fine wine.

Blessings,
    Bill

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    :yesway: The free market at work. No private business should have to serve customers they don't want to serve.

Some businesses in the south tried that a while back, putting out signs that read WHITES ONLY.

This doctor should have his license revoked for ethics violations.

First, do no harm.

Top Bottom