• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    My son who is 7 now knows that I have guns and I've not had any problems with him knowing. He knows that they're Daddy's guns and he's not to touch them, but I still keep them locked up when he's here. I let him hold my Mosin-Nagant M44 a couple weeks ago and he thought that was pretty cool though. As for his friends and his friends families, they don't know yet as fas as I know.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My boys (5, 3, and 1) all know that I have firearms. With the exception of the youngest, they are allowed to see them almost anytime. They can now walk me step by step on what has to be done before they can have them and what their responsibities are. I have to admit, it's pretty cool watching a three-year-old holding a pistol with his finger off of the trigger.

I have tried experimenting with leaving my pistol in an obvious place within their reach several times, but they never go to it. I am glad that I have been able to eliminate all mysteries and cool things about firearms to where they would not pick one up.

My oldest wants a rifle for his birthday, but I am not sure that he is ready yet. Maybe I am not ready yet. I don't think I could explain things like sight alignment to a five-year-old.

Relay4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Kokomo
    My children are all grown now and are starting their own families. They went through the Boy Scout training at about 9 or 10 years of age. I also taught them about gun safety and how to shoot. Thank God, there was never a problem.
    At the time, my greatest concern was not so much with the weapons in our home (because I had control over those) but with the firearms in the homes of their friends. I told them again and again that if one of their buddies ever brought out "dad's gun" to show off, get the hell out of there quick!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You wake up, grab your hand cannon and go investigate.

I think a better course of action would be to avoid contact at all costs.

Hole up with the family in one room, and wait for the police. If they try to come through the door, shoot and stay put till the police come.

You dont want to put your children into that situation. Your first priority should be to keep them safe. Who cares what they steal or damage its only property. Get your family behind yourself and hold your ground.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I think a better course of action would be to avoid contact at all costs.

Hole up with the family in one room, and wait for the police. If they try to come through the door, shoot and stay put till the police come.

You dont want to put your children into that situation. Your first priority should be to keep them safe. Who cares what they steal or damage its only property. Get your family behind yourself and hold your ground.

I totally agree with you, but there are situation where that may not be possible. Like say you and your kids rooms are across the house, kids fell asleep on the couch, YOU got the "doghouse" for the night, etc. Just a question. But you're right, by all means, hole up in one area and call the police.

boilergonzo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Good views. A couple quick points:

I have a diverse group of friends. We are not always ideologically on the same page. Some are not comfortable at all with firearms, and they would be concerned if my child started talking about daddy's guns. Given they are friends, I could easily demonstrate how secure they are, and things would be fine. But what if she starts class next year and has ten new potential friends whose parents don't know me and have no reason to trust my judgement. Talk of daddy's guns could impact her afterschool hours with friends. Just a thought.

Also, I don't mind if folks I choose to talk to know, but I don't need to advertise to the town that I have a safe with several guns. When I am out of town, that ADT alarm system may help, but it isn't going to deter a knowledgable thief who knows what is inside if he really wants it. My daughter's friends of friends of friends is a pretty big circle of people to trust...

She isn't six yet, and I will wait until she is better able to grasp things. Right now, if I buy mommy a gift, she excitedly runs to mommy and says "Daddy bought you a gift, but it is a secret!". Not exactly the person you want holding the key to Fort Knox! Adorable and sweet, but a bit transparent!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    One thing to think about is how much kids talk. Many of the folks on this board are mum about personal details and don't like to advertise to the general public about their arsenal or carrying, but are willing to show their 7 or 8 year old the gun collection. Far be it from me to say which age is appropriate- but I would think it important to have a lesson about what private business is, and what things you can talk to others about. Also, I can't help but think the paintball gun blurs the issue. Traditional paintballing requires you to shoot at the opponent, so unless you modify its use to be limited to targets of whatever nature and not people, I would be concerned. Just my $.02, and no disrespect to any of the parents here.

We don't give out too many personal details on this board. Our 9 year old knows we have guns. She has seen them. Probably held all of them. She is not allowed to tell her friends or anyone else for that matter that we have guns in the house. The paintball and airsoft gun are used to shoot at a target that's in the back yard. They are not allowed to even point them at each other or shoot ANYTHING other than the target. She and her friends are to treat those guns the same as they would any "real" gun. I think it is good practice.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Ok let me ask another question. How old is the proper age, maturity not withstanding, that a child should know how to shoot a weapon?

:soapbox: Ok ,,, you probably didn't know you would make me jump up here ,,,, but here goes ,,,,,

NO RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER SHOULD ,,,, "EVER" ,,,, SAY "CHILD" AND "WEAPON" IN THE SAME SENTENCE :bash: !!!!!!!
    WEAPONS ARE AN OFFENSIVE TOOL ,,,, FOR ATTACKING THE ENEMY ,,,,, NONE OF MY FRIENDS OWN A WEAPON ,,,,, WE ALL OWN ,,, FIREARMS !!!!!!

I am not familiar with the Eddie Eagle program, but as a 4-H shooting sports instructor ,,,, one of the terms for a gun that the kids are never allowed to use ,,, is weapon ,,,,, and fire arm is the most commonly used name ,,,,,

Ok Ill get down now

:popcorn2:

Wolfman

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    My kids know I have guns. Sometimes I wish they didn't.

My son (24) likes to come to the house and raid the refrigerator and the gun safe! My daughter (21) is forming expensive tastes, hanging out with Pami, and now want a Sig handgun!

Whats a father to do?! (Just kidding, I love having my children sharing an interest with me.)

lovemywoods

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    NO RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER SHOULD ,,,, "EVER" ,,,, SAY "CHILD" AND "WEAPON" IN THE SAME SENTENCE :bash: !!!!!!!
    WEAPONS ARE AN OFFENSIVE TOOL ,,,, FOR ATTACKING THE ENEMY ,,,,, NONE OF MY FRIENDS OWN A WEAPON ,,,,, WE ALL OWN ,,, FIREARMS !!!!!!

You're right they are firearms. But if not a weapon, then what is it? What would you consider a knife? Or a samuri sword? Or a Howitzer for that matter? No offense, but it is a weapon and should be treated as such. I called my Sigma a FIREARM and my son(2) looked up at me and said "No it not!" while pointing to my arm. LOL I wish I'd had my camera rolling... All I'm saying is if we don't teach them as a weapon they would seem less dangerous and more like a toy. At least to our kids. I have begun the safety teaching with our 9yo and she's taking to it well. Without giving her the answer I asked what she should do if she sees a gun sitting out or if a friend came out with "daddy's gun" and she said leave it/them and tell us, or an adult, or the police. Thank God common sense is still alive! ...in some of us... LOL

All I'm saying is that it is a weapon. It is an offensive/defensive tool for attacking/defending from the enemy. Be it a deer, or an intruder.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    My daughter (21) is forming expensive tastes, hanging out with Pami, and now want a Sig handgun!

:hijack:

Can I help it if Sigs are better than Frost Shock? I mean seriously...

Ok.. now back to the discussion... ;)

Although I really don't have much to comment. Lars and I don't have kids of our own, and my sister is extremely adamant that her kids will not touch guns ever as long as she is alive, which is a little unrealistic considering that her ex-husband and his wife have memberships at Atterbury... but... I need to get her comfortable with firearms before we can even offer to help teach my niece and nephew even basic safety principles. Hopefully the ex and his wife are being responsible owners *crosses her fingers and knocks on wood*

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    yes, my children, ages 33, 30 and 14, know i have guns. they have all seen me with guns very early in their lives.

kids are by nature curious, that's how they learn the world around them. anything a child is curious about, they will investigate. starts early with everything going into their mouth. now if we help them investigate this curiosity in a controlled manner, it will go away for awhile. that is how i handled introducing my children to guns. when they were first curious, we looked at real guns together and discussed them as adult things. see one get an adult, don't touch...then as the curiosity came back, discussions got more involved eventually leading to a trip to the range.
    if you don't help the child with curiosities in a controlled manner, they will investigate by themselves. bad. this is one of the ways kids get in trouble with guns, or anything for that matter. is it a good idea to secure your "toys" from unauthorized hands? absolutely. but education is the key. keep it age appropriate, keep it positive and we will all live happier ever after.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Do your kids...
    know you have guns? If so do they know how to use them? How old are they?

yes, a little, 10
    yes, somewhat, 8
    yes, very little, 6
    yes, no, 4
    yes, no, 2

They all would be able to pull a trigger; no body had to teach them that

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea, you never know how good you got it until the estrogen out numbers the testosterone. I think I'll become an OTR Truck Driver when they all hit they're "Time of the Month"! LOL I'll take my son with me of course to spare him the hell too....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Speaking of kids... We're having a garage sale here in Plainfield next weekend. We have TONS AND TONS of kids clothes and toys for sale. Mostly little kids stuff, but some others mixed in. We also have a Nice big crib, 3 strollers one of which is a double stroller, a medium size dog cage with water and food bowl, and a BUNCH of computer and cell phone stuff, an electric Stove, and a bunch of other misc things. I invite you to come check it out, meet the famiy, BUY SOME STUFF! LOL PM me if your interested. Thanks.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Dad's reply to epsylum: yes, you know I have them and you are fond of them and my reloading stuff too. Remember, it's cheaper to raid the refrigerator than the ammo shelf. Ever priced bullets lately?
    Just kidding, I'm proud of my sons and love to shoot with them.

Top Bottom