• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am going to make an invitation to anyone who wants to run for office and help make a difference. We have Ed Coleman in Indianapolis who is trying to make a difference, but he sure could use some help on that council.

We could also use any help you can give by stopping some of these intrusive smoking bans that are spreading throughout Indiana! No matter where you stand on the idea of smoking being unhealthy, I would like to think most reasonable folks do not want Big Brother stripping property rights from businesses.

Anywhere you see government oppression of rights growing in your own back yard I want to offer you an easy way onto the Libertarian ballot.

There are three (3) beliefs I would like for you to believe to run as an Indiana Libertarian:

#1) Belief in the Constitution of the United States and all of the Rights and Liberties it promises to protect;

#2) A small, efficient government that is limited by the US Constitution and, in Indiana, the Indiana Constitution (AKA Fiscal Responsibility);

#3) Getting the government out of the lives of everyday citizens.

If you don't think would like to run as a Libertarian because you disagree with us on one (1) issue consider this: if you are married or dating do you agree with your spouse/gf/bf on 100% of the issues? I have heard that some folks here have wives that do not like guns, yet you love her dearly and married her anyway.

If you think you cannot run as a Libertarian because you still like Republicans or Democrats that is OK with us. We will not stop you from being a member of both parties! They might, but we will not.

If you would be interested in running but cannot dedicate a lot of time to it I will discuss with you a few simple requests to run an extremely slim candidacy.

I think many Libertarians that I know have a respect for individual values and liberties within the party. There are many pro life and pro choice Libertarians. How can this be? We all agree in the value of individual responsibility, thus agreeing on no government funds being used for abortions.

Feel free to Email me through here or PM me as you wish. I am responsible for the 3rd District in Indiana but can put you in touch with folks who will help you on the ballot no matter where you live in Indiana.

I'll explain here that in Indiana we choose our candidates at convention. State candidates are chosen at the State convention and lower level candidates are chosen at the county conventions (mostly).

Consider what good you could do at the county level! A county could pass a rule that not city within that counties borders could limit LTCH permits from parks! Each city is under county rule. Just a thought if you live in a county but not city.

Let's say you are not up for running for office but wouldn't mind helping a candidate. Again Email me or PM me. I'll give you a list of things you could choose from to help our folks. Also, you might not want to run but if you know someone that does volunteer them! After all, what are friends for!:D

I am posting now because our State Convention is only a few months away, so I'd like you to have time to consider.

It appears today that the two (2) old parties have become one (1) big party with two (2) slightly different wings. Let's give it some competition, shall we?

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    May I be the first to say that I am not all that surprised there is nobody jumping up to volunteer. I have heard it said that rallying Libertarians is a lot like herding cats. It's frustrating, because Libertarians understandably detest government, let alone be a part of the system. They and lot of Americans just want to get back to what it was they were doing, which is live their own lives. So who is going to step up? I've thought about getting involved, but I'm moving in May to Alaska and frankly, I believe there are better men than me. For the sake of Hoosiers and the Republic, if you have integrity, stand on principles, love of the Constitution, know our history GET INVOLVED!

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I have an interest to eventually run for something on the state level. Probably after I finish school (I just started again). I have NO idea how any of it works though. I know we need a change though. We (Americans) as a group have forgotten our roots. Forgotten how bad it was and are far to complacent with what we're being fed. We're more concerned with our ipods, coffee and clothes then we are our rights. I would like that to change. It's time that we as a people woke up and changed the infringements on our rights.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have often thought about doing something local - school board, town council, that sort of thing. With everything else going on in my life, I just haven't committed the time.

Thanks for the info, Doug. I'll pass it along to some grassroots folks I know, and chew on it a bit myself.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have had several folks contact me and I will be getting back w/ them.

IBTL, I do not detest the government or the system. We need the government to fulfill its proper roll, and we need a system to coordinate the multitude of special interests all across this great land. I just happen to believe that "...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, - That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it..." I think we are at a stage of some serious alteration, that manifesting mostly in the reduction in the size of government and getting it back out of our lives!

Again To All,

If you don't think you are qualified to run for office I have a question: Do you believe those currently holding office ARE qualified? And if so, have you seen where their experience and qualifications have gotten us? Qualification and experience have gotten us Trillions of dollars in debt, with tens of Trillions of dollars in unfunded liabilities! This doesn't even begin to discuss the erosion of civil liberties.

Speaking of qualifications and experience there is one (1) thing I like about Senator Edward Kennedy. No, really! I like the fact that he became one of the most powerful Senators at the Capitol, yet when he was elected he had ZERO experience! He had never been so much as a Township Trustee! Think about this: IF someone we today "deomonize" as being a tremendous force for overreaching, overspending liberal government can start w/ no experience and qualifications whatsoever, why can't YOU do the same thing and be a force for fiscally conservative, small government staying out of the citizens way???

Besides, think of it this way: I am not asking you to WIN:rolleyes: - I am only asking you to run!:D Give Hoosiers of real choice between the two (2) branches of big government Demopublicans or Republicrats. You could do a tremendous amount of good by just bringing up ideas and thoughts into a race where the old party candidates won't even discuss certain issues. Hammer home the national debt... Hammer home property rights... Hammer home the abuse of Eminent Domain... Hammer home rolling back the Nanny State....

Oh, and ladies, where are you? Too often the voices of women are not heard in the political forum. I want to help give you a chance to influence the process that influences us! We have a Libertarian Judge, Susan Bell, in Hagerstown. She has become so popular that the D's & R's won't even run against her now!

Let me also say that if you want to run on a D or R ticket I can tell you a little about that as well. The problem you will have is that if you truly want reform they don't want you running! You will threaten the power that they have accumulated over the past 100 years. I know two (2) members of the LPIN now who have run or are running for office who tried to run as Republicans - the R's did NOT want them! They threatened to rock the boat for elected officials who had built up seniority. Heaven forbid! But if you seriously want to run as a Republican or Democrat I will try to help you there as well.

Anyway, you have time to ponder your decisions. Nothing is final for several monthes. I just want to plant the seed of a thought - your candidacy would give Hoosiers a real choice and only good would come of that!

Regards,

Doug
    3rd Dist Rep, LPIN

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Lib my problem is way to many skeletons hanging around in my past...

I am sure there are others here that are in the same boat as I am also.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    thats why you feed the bodies to the pigs, they eat all the evidence, dont hide them in your closet silly.

Oh and on other matters wear a poncho, dont be like john edwards and leave evidence behind in the form of children.

follow those 2 rules and you will be a great politician.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I am sure there are others here that are in the same boat as I am also.

that sure hasn't stopped the majority of political figures from cruising full-steam ahead in their careers as politicians! I'm convinced you can't even get elected unless you're a duplicitous, closeted homosexual, hypocrite! Or are you saying you've got more damning stuff in your closet than gay trysts with your interns, or a penchant for child buggery?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    that sure hasn't stopped the majority of political figures from cruising full-steam ahead in their careers as politicians! I'm convinced you can't even get elected unless you're a duplicitous, closeted homosexual, hypocrite! Or are you saying you've got more damning stuff in your closet than gay trysts with your interns, or a penchant for child buggery?

No not even close to that level of grime CH...

I am just not that big of a hypocrite either...;)

*Edit
    Actually let me expound a little more thought on why I do not and will not pursue a Political career. I am a very good Soldier, I would be shot as an Officer, and Hung as a Statesman. I am to used to thinking as the last option in Diplomacy. I tend to think in terms of destruction, collateral damage, and acceptable casualties...
    Which is fine for the Soldier, wrong for the General, and an absolute crime for the statesman...

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have given some serious consideration to running for City/County Council in Indianapolis.

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    To All,

I have had several folks contact me and I will be getting back w/ them.

IBTL, I do not detest the government or the system. We need the government to fulfill its proper roll, and we need a system to coordinate the multitude of special interests all across this great land. I just happen to believe that "...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, - That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it..." I think we are at a stage of some serious alteration, that manifesting mostly in the reduction in the size of government and getting it back out of our lives!
    IN

Thanks for questioning me. I detest the representative government currently in Washington. I love the system of government that was developed a little over 200 years ago. I'm not sure what you mean by "special interests". Maybe you could elaborate on that. As a libertarian, I am not inclined to support any particular group of people, like unions, PETA, etc. I love the government via the Constitution.

Some words of a founder, "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty!"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Funding. Funding is the big issue. Time as well, but I can work around that. I recall hearing in the last election that Hitlery had spent several million dollars of her own money in her bid for the White House. OK, let's puzzle this out: Spent... let's say, two million.. and that's a lowball guess. As President, your salary is $400,000/yr, meaning she had the potential to make $1.6M, and even if she only spent $2M, she'd still be $400K in the hole. Obviously, the goal is not the income but the power, but no one gets elected to office without spending a big chunk of change.
    Libertarian01, if you've read my posts, you probably know that there are very few Libertarian issues with which I don't agree. (border control being chief among them, at least as long as we're paying the way for everyone in the world who shows up here)

I could see myself running as a Libertarian; at present, I hold a Precinct Committeeman office with the GOP. It's not an office with any real power, nor is it one that is campaigned for. I recognize what you're saying about the GOP keeping a "non-believer" in their power structure down, but the big problem I see with the LP is that while they focus on issues and the goal of shrinking the .gov, the Dems and the GOP focus on winning the races and getting people into the offices in the first place. If I saw the LP winning races (I don't), I might run as one, but until then, it looks like a big, disorganized way to spend a whole lot of money with no ROI.

I don't mean that to sound harsh or critical, but rather truthful and helpful... I think the LP has some good ideas from which we would benefit.. but you have to get into office for those ideas to matter.

(There was a LP candidate for office in my county one of the last couple of elections... he got almost no votes at all, which is not surprising to me.. his campaign page was on MySpace. :rolleyes: The word "professional" never crossed my mind about him, but "rinkydink", and "poser" certainly did, though I doubt they were deserved. HE was serious about his candidacy, but I'm not sure the Party was.)

I hope you take these thoughts as intended, and I hope to see more Ls in office.

Blessings,
    Bill

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    If I saw the LP winning races (I don't), I might run as one, but until then, it looks like a big, disorganized way to spend a whole lot of money with no ROI.
    after 10 years with the LPIN and 2 losses, the above is precisely why i hung up my hat. The left/right, rep/dem machine must be dismantled before any viable third party stands a chance. (at least in indiana) The big money is simply against it.

Top Bottom