• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Centerfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    A few years ago some yokle knocked on my door wanting my vote for Indiana Legislature or Indiana Senate or something like that. As we talked he let me know that if he won his salary would be about $13,000 a year IIRC.

So, although I've thought about running, if I won, how would I support my family on that salary?

Anybody?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    A few years ago some yokle knocked on my door wanting my vote for Indiana Legislature or Indiana Senate or something like that. As we talked he let me know that if he won his salary would be about $13,000 a year IIRC.

So, although I've thought about running, if I won, how would I support my family on that salary?

Anybody?

Graft. Duh.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Anybody?

I believe about 2 years ago they changed the salary to around $30K or so if I recall correctly however most, if not all, representatives hold other jobs and work around their other professions while they are in session. Our representative in Carmel a few years ago Jeff Drozda was also a principal at a school here in Indy so I believe most of them have a main job...

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have been a small business owner for over ten years and became concerned with some of the decisions our city council was making. Having been raised to not complain without offering a solution, my solution was to run for council. I won an At Large seat and believe it or not, 1 person CAN make a difference. Can you change the world, no. But, you can make public some issues that used to just slide by and raise public awareness on things, and THAT is where change is. Just look at the Tea Party movement. Agree or disagree with them, but they have brought politics out into the open and has got people involved in politics!
    I am running for State Representative and hope to be able to bring some common sense back to government. Never give up and stay tuned.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Thread resurrection.

I would not want the trouble of governing, nor would I find any personal satisfaction in trying to run the lives of my countrymen, nor is it a livable wage, if that figure is correct.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've often wondered how far I could get on a campaign platform of "I don't really want the job". Probably nowhere, but it might be fun to try.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    A lot of counties are having their Libertarian Party conventions in the next few weeks, followed by the State Convention April 24-25. Unlike the Dems and Reps, Libertarians actually argue for and select their candidates at the State Convention rather than simply announce/celebrate who was chosen through conversation and favoritism before the Convention even started.

My point: if you have ANY interest in running for an office, please PLEASE speak up and let your voice be heard. Even if you don't want to run on the LP ticket, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction to get in touch with the Democrat or Republican offices.

AND, if you don't want to run but are interested in helping on a campaign, or even just volunteer at the polling booths for the local/primary elections, let someone know. A good campaign requires volunteers to help spread the word! :)

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My issue is that I used to work for a place that was full of plotician's and the things I learned and knew made me sick... so much so that runing for office right now makes me sick......... Granted they were mostly Republican's and untill not long ago I though of myself as a Republican 100%......

Also the cost of it is a BIG issue for most.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Never heard back from you about franklin.... or me running....

You won't. Fred ran as an independent and now that the Burton fiasco has cooked his goose the repubs are going to be back in charge. Libertarians set back a good 8-10 years in Franklin from even thinking about fielding a candidate. Look how long it took for an independent to take a seat in Johnson County.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    I kinda like the limits on smoking in public buildings . If I wanted to smoke I would , I dont , so I really dont want to smell or breathe other peoples smoke. I think the smoke is taking away my right to breathe clean air .

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I kinda like the limits on smoking in public buildings . If I wanted to smoke I would , I dont , so I really dont want to smell or breath other peoples smoke. I think the smoke is taking away my right to breath clean air .

Agreed.

Smoker's decided to smoke, it is not a requierment of life, breathing is.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Technically you represent them not run them.

Tell me the government doesn't run your life in and out.

I feel that I understand pretty well what our government is supposed to do. But what it is supposed to do and what our owners and masters have chosen to do are two completely different tasks. I tried to phrase that to indicate what I feel is happening, not what I'd do or what should happen... especially as I will never run for office, and that hardly any one seems to understand what liberty means. My religious and political beliefs of themselves ensure that I would never win a majority in any district in this State.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Government SHOULDN'T run anyone's lives. But, here we are in this Brave New World.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Also keep in mind that you're not limited to just the State and Federal congresses. There are also school board elections, city/county council, and a plethora of other seats that need filled by liberty-minded individuals.

Top Bottom