• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    For example, do any of you guys use 5W-30 or HD-30 as gun oils? HD-30 is a little thicker than the Hoppe's Oil I use so I filled my Eaglet Pump Oiler with it and will be using it on my guns now. I figure most car/truck oils would work in a pinch in a gun as long as it isn't ridiculously thick.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Not super specific, 1 part grease, .5 part of other products.

I occasionally use the grease for corrosion protection, but still think CLP is the best in that regard.

Using pure synthetic oil has shown that it lubes well, but doesn't protect in high demand environments. I have a rusted up Ruger 10-22 to prove it. :( Stored in a storage rental locker, wiped down with Mobil 1, didn't do diddly. The other guns that were CLP or greased, looked great.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Not super specific, 1 part grease, .5 part of other products.

I occasionally use the grease for corrosion protection, but still think CLP is the best in that regard.

Using pure synthetic oil has shown that it lubes well, but doesn't protect in high demand environments. I have a rusted up Ruger 10-22 to prove it. :( Stored in a storage rental locker, wiped down with Mobil 1, didn't do diddly. The other guns that were CLP or greased, looked great.

You wanna donate that rusty Ruger? I'll give her a good home and a steady diet.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I use CLP to clean, but as far as lube I use High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease. It's like $4 at O'Reilly for 1 lb. I didn't even use half of what was on the peel off lid thing for the G19. 1 lb will last you forever compared to any oil.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I mix grease and ATF. No issues.

I have a S&W 442 I took on a trip out west last summer that rusted on me while I was using RemOil wipes to wipe it down every now and then. Lesson learned: buy a 642 next time.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Best thing Ive concocted is a mixture of primarily Liquid wrench, ATF, synthetic 80w90 gear oil, and Synthetic moly engine assembly lube.

It takes some heat and ALOT of stirring, and it doesnt smell too nice, but it smooths everything out like butter, is good to probably -40 degrees, doesnt run or drip, and really stays put.

Everything else is either 3 in 1 oil or CLP break free.

God bless
    -Shred

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I use comp cam 104 assembly lube. I'm not sure how some of the lubes work on blued finishes, but I use it on stainless since I don't have to worry about it. I don't care about keeping the luster either. I use the cam lube since it promotes a very even wear and lets the gun self-polish. The can was about $8 on amazon and helped me get over S&W's failsauce on the PPK/S.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I don't use it anymore but for YEARS my Dad and I used 3 in 1 oil on our shotguns. He's got a Remington 870 Wingmaster that is about 45 years old, it's in better shape than allot of guns you see sitting on a dealer's wall!

Yep, we did too. At one time, I'll bet there wasn't a single home in your neighborhood that didn't have a can of "3-in-1" sitting around in it somehwere.

And it'll still work just fine, even though we're all way too cool and sophisticated to use it anymore:D

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Just started using CLP for cleaning and I must say, it smells much better than bore cleaner :D
    Haven't made the leap from gun oil yet.

Top Bottom