• D you use a laser on your handguns?

• Total voters

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    In the past year I have been going through the steps of becoming a responsible handgun owner (taking the NRA basic pistol class, buying a handgun, getting my LTCH, joining a range that I use as often as my budget allows, and of course countless hours of internet research) and I plan to start making use of my LTCH and start carrying my SR9c when I leave the house.

When I first started researching handguns the idea of a laser on a defensive handgun sounded great.

At some point I stopped thinking about getting a laser though.

Yesterday I was doing something on the internet and heard someone say they put a crimson trace on every handgun they carry.

So I started reading up on crimson trace and it seems like it might be a worthy addition to a carry gun.

What do other ingo-ers think? Do you use a laser on any of your handguns?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have a CT on several of my guns but not my main carries. I just like the cleaner grip without them. HOWEVER, I have a G23 with a laser and a light that I carry sometimes at night. So I'm sorta both ways. One thing about a laser is you don't have to have the weapon up at eye level to aim if you can't (if you are on your back, trying to draw and fire quickly,etc.) I'm sure you'll get as many opinions as there are members. :popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have recently acquired a piece with the rail in a trade. I had a laser on the shelf with a dead Batt. On a whim I put a Batt. in the laser and attached it to the pistol. It is a green laser and it is very powerful compared to the red lasers on my M-4's and shotty's. It is a bit bulky but the gun stays in my service truck most of the time. I am starting to like it but I do not want to become reliant on it. Keep your skills.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I don't like lasers. It's funny because when I got into guns I couldn't wait to get one. But I find I do better and faster with the sights than trying to find and center the laser point.

I'm not a laser hater...but they aren't for me.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    The Keltec Pocket gun P3-AT almost requires it because the sights (if you could call them that) suck and it has a non existent sight radius. (front to rear distance)
    as a backup not bad.
    For the EDC I use either an M&P 40, with night sights (in jackets and sport coats OWB) or a Walther 9mm PPS (dress shirts or for minimum print), neither have a laser grip. (because I couldnt spring the CT cash at the time for the M&P)

HOWEVER, that said I have been major drooling over a 4" Kimber Carry with the CTrace, and because of the location and ease of use, I think that will be the next EDC.

Ah variety ....

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    To laser or not to laser, that is the question.

I personally don't use a laser, with the exception of the one for boresighting. I don't have anything against them or against those that use them.

For me to use a laser is to become dependent upon a piece of electronics. I know that some people would say the same thing about a scope, red dot scopes, etc. However, when I train to shoot, specifically combat courses, the laser just hinders me in a speedy target aquisition. Instead of my shooting being instictive, I tend to see what the laser is pointed at.

In either case, the most important thing is that you have a firearm and that you use it safely.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have 2. One on a Ruger LCP (red) and another on my AR15 (green). Better indoors than outdoors and both wash out in the sun. Interesting to have and use at the right time.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Any 1911 I'm carrying will have one but I don't like the way that they disturb the grip on a Glock.. I've tried all that CT makes for a Glock and just don't like the feel. When the figure a way to hang one on a Glock without the grip feeling different or needing a special holster, I"ll have one there too.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a red Lasermax on my XD-40 that I EDC. I got it because I know that in a situation that would require me to use the weapon, nerves will be going crazy and I felt it would be helpful to be able to just point the dot and shoot because itll probably be a quicker and easier task than lining up sights in that situation. However, I do not RELY on the laser. I do more training/practice without it that I do with it because you never know when the battery is going to be dead or the laser just simply not work.

Plus I got it for a smoking deal, less than $110 new off ebay plus the $40 rebate Lasermax was offering at the time

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I have a LCR with CT laser grips on it. It's not my usual carry gun but I do take it to the range every time I go. Sometimes I use the laser but most times I don't. Reason being and just being plain honest I don't like to show everyone how much I shake when I'm trying to shoot the thing. If I had one on my M&P that probably wouldn't be a issue as I'm pretty steady with it.

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    I have only tried one it was a CT on a Sig 229. i just purchased a CT for a Airweight J frame. Im intending on giving it to my wife. The grip is more user friendly.
    PS I have a Sig Pro on order to replace it

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Because you are a new gun owner/carrier, I would not recommend a laser.

Instead, I would recommend you invest in yourself in the form of firearms training. Once you've got a few classes under your belt and you begin to understand the role of the defensive firearm, you can then decide if a laser makes sense for your application.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Because you are a new gun owner/carrier, I would not recommend a laser.

Instead, I would recommend you invest in yourself in the form of firearms training. Once you've got a few classes under your belt and you begin to understand the role of the defensive firearm, you can then decide if a laser makes sense for your application.

This. Generally training is a far better investment, particularly early on. It is better to learn good technique and habits early, rather than try to unlearn bad ones later. I'd recommend a good defensive handgun class.

I do have a laser on my Ruger LCP because the sights are almost useless and it's small size makes accuracy at any range more difficult. Otherwise, either iron sights or night sights.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have CT laser grips on my XD which is my nightstand gun. I figure it would be a whole lot easier to see a laser dot vs the sights if I ever need my gun in my bedroom.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I understand they can be beneficial in certain applications but I find them very distracting (front sight - front sight - front sight).

I tried to switch over to one for bowling pin many years ago and could not do it. Heck, I was faster with open sights than with a holo type sight so maybe I just dont like red dots floating in front of me :xmad:.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have CT lasergrips on a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Ruger Sp101. They seem to do what they were designed for, and I haven't had a any draw problems. I could see them being more useful on a nitestand weapon under low light conditions.

Top Bottom