• D you use a laser on your handguns?

• Total voters

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I've never shot a gun with a laser before or even toyed with one. I practice quick draw/no sight shooting for close quarters in case there is no time to bring it up to my eye. I do carry a TLR 1 on a belt holder for work and have noticed that, when it's on my gun, I tend to use the center of the light as a make-shift laser mark. It's not very effective all of the time, but is great for shooting in the dark when quick reaction means live or die.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have a s&w bodyguard .380, that has an internal laser. I like the laser for dry fire. It helped me realize I was slapping the trigger on it. So for a training tool it really good. I still intend to put night sights on it.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks for all of the input, I think I have a new view on lasers, they are a tool, but as others said training is important.

I took NRA Basic Pistol last February, time to take another course, some sort of Defensive pistol.

If I were to have gotten a laser it would have been from my quarterly bonus I received today, which was great, but not grand enough to justify buying a Crimson Trace, paid off ALL of my credit cards and medical bills instead.

Next bonus is in April, I think some training is in order from that one, and if there is enough left over maybe I will revisit the laser question.

thanks again everyone

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Good choice. :yesway: Sounds like you've given it a lot of thought and have your priorities straight. Accessories are great but aren't worth remaining in debt for. You already have the main tool and need to work on the software to drive it properly.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I own 7 pistols. 4 have lasers on them. I believe that a laser is an effective tool used correctly on a handgun. That being said my main carry pistol is a G23 without a laser. I believe that if someone is already skilled in the use of a pistol a laser can be a worthwhile multiplier but would encourage someone just getting into pistol shooting to first get the basics down first then consider adding a laser to the mix.

mconnery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Richmond, IN.
    Have a LCP and Keltec 380 with lasers not to mention a Taurus 85 and now a S&W Bodyguard.38 with laser. I would never depend on them, still practice as if they are not there. All firearms should be practiced with using the "iron" sights for accuracy.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I have a CT laser on an officers model. While I like it, I find it makes me a lazy shooter. I just put the dot on the target & the bullet hits there. I usually run my range drills with iron sights only. Every once in a while I use the laser in low light drills.

A laser is handy but it is NOT the only sighting system I depend upon.

Theslab1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Lafayette
    I own 2 CT laser grips. One Glock, one 1911.

I notice they can be a good feedback tool for shooters to see how much movement is occurring before, during and after a shot.

Laser can provide decent illumination in dark or low light shooting esp. indoor.

May not be the sight or expense to start with as a shooter but a real nice option.

I don't care for the CT Glock design as much as 1911. No on/off function and makes Glock grip fatter. 1911 is great!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Why would you want to put something on your gun that lets the bad guy know where you are so he can start shooting at you as soon at you turn it on??? That's almost as bad as loading your magazines full of tracers. Sure, it's cool to see where your bullets are going. But, it also lets the bad guys know where they are coming FROM!!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Rail mounted quick release laser light combo on my nightstand gun (G17 with nightsights). It's nice to have options. I do not carry with the laser light combo attached as I haven't got a holster to accomodate the set up. I practice with and without and as always there's a time and a place where it's preferred and a time when it's not but I have no regrets with mine. :yesway:

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    CT's

I have 3 45's and have CT's on all 3. The first one was a Kimber TLE II that I purchased barely used that already had the Crimson Trace on it and dialed in at 50 feet. I instantly fell in love with it.

One thing you will find on the CT's is that they are only dead on at what ever distance you dial them in at. The way the laser projects down the side of the weapon has it at a slight angle to the actual track of the projectile. It is pretty minor, when dialed in at 50 feet, the actual spot the bullet hits at 15 feet is about 3/4 to 1 inch off to the right of where the red dot is shining. Not a big deal, and easy to compensate for but definitely something to be aware of.

Jetman.

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    The CT's aren't on till you squeeze the grip, or the best way is to cover the laser with your trigger finger, which also keeps a built-in safety factor. When you acquire the proper target, drop your finger to the trigger and connect the dot. BINGO, quick and discreet. Also, odds are in your favor when the bad guy sees the red dot painted on him, he will turn tail and run. Kinda like an intruder hearing a shot gun rack in the dark.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Why would you want to put something on your gun that lets the bad guy know where you are so he can start shooting at you as soon at you turn it on??? That's almost as bad as loading your magazines full of tracers. Sure, it's cool to see where your bullets are going. But, it also lets the bad guys know where they are coming FROM!!

^^^^ This...

Would rather not broadcast my location to the BG...

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    I have a CT Laser on my M&P 9c and my M&P AR-15 and love them. Hoping to get one for my M&P 45c as soon as CT comes out with them. I can still use the iron sights though if need be. Have trained both ways.

IndyGuns1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    indy
    I use a laser and I like it. Sometimes tho I just forget to turn it on. So with a situation that may require the hassle of on/off my get in the way.

Top Bottom