• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    There is a good reason for not dropping a round in the chamber on most 1911 type handguns. The extractor is not made to flex to the side when the slide goes forward and meets the case rim. Most will do it but the extractor is actually designed to slip up over the rim vertically as the round come up out of the magazine.

I used to drop one in the chamber and let the slide slam forward all the time and broke 2 extractors that way over the years. I always strip one out of a magazine, pull the mag out and put in the "top-off" round.
    Hmm. I had to replace the extracter in my HP. I wonder if that is how I broke it.:dunno: Well I know not to do that now. Thanks.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I appreciate all the info. I will most definitely be going full capacity from here on out, as I see no real drawbacks and 1 extra shot.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm relatively new to firearms and carrying. I was wondering if any of you topped off the magazines in your carry weapon to carry at the full +1 capacity.

No, I don't.

I got in the habit of being able to pop my mag out and see one cartridge missing to know I had one in the chamber.

To each his own.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    depends on the gun... and u must know your carry piece, on my glock 27 and when loading mag to full capacity and then putting back into the gun it causes problums, first its very hard to get the mag to click in and then the round that has been added rides on the bottom of the slide to hard that it can slow down the side to point of malfunction on first shot,....i know others are going to say......i have a 27 and mine dosnt do that,.. well ive seen it happen. kimber solo is another one that the last round loads so tight i wouldnt plus one round,

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Nah, 33 rounds ought to get the job done.

I carry a 19 with a 15 round mag, and two spares, and when I'm home, I pop in a 33. Chamber stays occupied. I figure 34 is better than 33.

Take advantage of the space you have. If it'll hold it, fill it. You can fit 76 rounds in a 75 round AK drum, if you didn't know...

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have heard you should not "top it off" because it wears down the spring faster. I have also heard you should rotate the bullets from clip to clip monthly because of this. I am too new to the game to know if its true but it seems to make sense.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The spring is fine compressed. It wears out from cycling, or compressing/decompressing over and over. Load it and leave it, you're good to go.

I have no idea why you would rotate your ammo.

If you are constantly clearing your round from the chamber and rechambering it, by all means rotate that round. The bullet will eventually be pushed into the case and could cause a misfire.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I have heard you should not "top it off" because it wears down the spring faster. I have also heard you should rotate the bullets from clip to clip monthly because of this. I am too new to the game to know if its true but it seems to make sense.

FacePunch.jpg

THERE ARE NO SPRINGS IN CLIPS!!!!!!

32368d1314664696-how-hot-sun-clip-clipmag.jpg

attachment.php

poster33090609rc9-tm.jpg

485846_370104513040939_192063610845031_1124974_836526918_n.jpg

Magazine_vs_Clip.jpg

It won't hurt your MAGAZINES. It is fine to top off your MAGAZINES. A MAGAZINE is NOT a CLIP. A CLIP is NOT a MAGAZINE. Any questions?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The spring is fine compressed. It wears out from cycling, or compressing/decompressing over and over. Load it and leave it, you're good to go.

I have no idea why you would rotate your ammo.

If you are constantly clearing your round from the chamber and rechambering it, by all means rotate that round. The bullet will eventually be pushed into the case and could cause a misfire.

My major concern is just bullet setback. Especially with the +P+ rounds I carry. It will increase pressure to unsafe levels. Never heard of it causing a misfire.

Top Bottom