• CC on Campus?

• Total voters

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The MSNBC poll thread got me thinking about how my fellow INGOers felt about CC on campus. My thoughts are that why should a college campus be treated any different than anywhere else? Please chime in and take the poll, if you answer other please explain :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I chimed in yes for everyone with a LTCH. It makes no sense that a student can legally carry and yet be restricted from it on campus. It's not like we never have rapes, assaults, or murders on campus.

Sure we do. That's why they have those cool little telephones with the blue lights on top that work half the time :rolleyes:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    preferably with required permit or license and some type of qualification or course.

And those blue lights at USI don't work at all. I clicked one after I ran over a curb and high centered my s10, no response, after 45minutes, a friend got there with a jack....lol bsu's don't work either ;)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    preferably with required permit or license and some type of qualification or course.

And those blue lights at USI don't work at all. I clicked one after I ran over a curb and high centered my s10, no response, after 45minutes, a friend got there with a jack....lol bsu's don't work either ;)

When I took my tour here, the guide said that the police are trained to reach any one of the phones within 2 minutes of the emergency button being pressed. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify a little bit, do you think that just campus carry should require a special permit for students, or that all IN LTCH holders should have required training?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Lets see.... You "stay back I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it"
    or in crazy land "stay back I have access somewhere to a telephone with a blue light on it"

geez why would we ever need guns?

Don't you read the paper? It's because we're all redneck, racist, nazi's that have to have guns to feel manly. :ar15:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    When I took my tour here, the guide said that the police are trained to reach any one of the phones within 2 minutes of the emergency button being pressed. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify a little bit, do you think that just campus carry should require a special permit for students, or that all IN LTCH holders should have required training?

some type of course to be enrolled in would be the best idea, say for example, tactics, etc. Or if you wanted to argue against that, the whole constitution's implied meaning could be argued if militia means trained individuals....but, my views are voiced, and i'll quit taking up bandwidth with an arguement that isn't listened to:twocents:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Well then, i support more than the practice of a background check and fingerprinting. If you truly must debate it, isn't the terminology include "A well regulated militia"? In the term militia, there is some type of training implied. but, this is always a losing battle when you have people too right or too left to listen.

I quoted your post from the other thread here.

What do you deem "the militia"? I always considered it the people as a whole, as documentation of the founding fathers corroborates... It would be amazing if everyone in the US felt the need to train and get acquainted with firearms. There is no training "implied" in the term militia that I can see at all in the definition or the Founding Father's intent.

ETA: I'm trying to listen and hear where you are coming from, honestly.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN

What do you deem "the militia"? I always considered it the people as a whole, as documentation of the founding fathers corroborates... It would be amazing if everyone in the US felt the need to train and get acquainted with firearms. There is no training "implied" in the term militia that I can see at all in the definition or the Founding Father's intent.

well, should we or should we not be trained to a degree on use of weapons? Or, should we leave it the same way it is, which is an honor system. Just saying I lost faith in people having common sense when an interested party looking at the springfield xd I owned recently said it didn't feel right, because the idiot was holding it gangsta style.....(altho I must admit seemed more accurate:n00b:) Lets just say I refused to sell it to said party, and ended up selling it to a friend when I found the 33. This being said, do you believe everyone who legally owns a firearm knows how to use it? Do they need to?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    This being said, do you believe everyone who legally owns a firearm knows how to use it? Do they need to?

If we used this sort of logic, how many people would own a VCR? :laugh:
    I know VCRs are sort of dated, but so am I.
    ANY restrictions on ownership is an infringement.
    But I'm guessing a large percentage of people with LTCHs have more training than your average LEO.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

The SA is an individual right first and foremost. However, the well-regulated part of the second amendment that refers to the militia is about training and drilling.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Back on topic..

I think that if you've got a permit, you should be able to carry on a college campus.

Of course, back in the day, we brought shotguns on the bus to school in the morning because we'd be going to a friend's house in the afternoon to hunt..

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    +1 to being able to carry if you have a valid LTCH honored by Indiana (which, I believe, is any CCW or LTCH in the country). If you are legally able to carry, then why can't you carry on campus?

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne

I voted other because I think that yes, it should be just for LTCH holders, but they should also have training.

Somewhat related, I don't see why one couldn't carry on a college campus, after all, they are adults who can think and act for themselves.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Then I shall pose this question to you. Why is a college campus any different than anywhere else?

I voted other because I think that yes, it should be just for LTCH holders, but they should also have training.

Somewhat related, I don't see why one couldn't carry on a college campus, after all, they are adults who can think and act for themselves.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I support the right to carry on campus. I am a member of the facebook group students for CC on campus. I get a few questions about that now and again. I recently talked to someone who's response was "well if I disagree with you, you will shoot me." That was a fun conversation. She came away with different attitude towards CC.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I voted yes for all LTCH holders. This is inaccurate. I don't think we should need a LTCH to carry anywhere, however, the current law requires that a LTCH be in the carrier's possession at the time, so that's how I voted.

Let's face it: the criminals will carry there regardless, if they choose to do so. The dorms are many students' homes. They should be able to have their means of self-defense in their homes. I would hate to think that someone was killed because they were defenseless while awaiting a piece of paper to arrive in the mail.

No, I can see no difference between a college campus and the rest of the city/state/country. I can see restricting carry in penal facilities and mental institutions. Other than that, all you're doing is creating a target rich environment for the criminals.

Blessings,
    B

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom