• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you stipple your polymer pistol for better grip?

• Total voters

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Looks good, great job!

Thanks! I'm a little OCD about the circle around the logo. It's not perfect. I want to touch it up a tad but am also afraid I'll get too close. If I get to close then I might as well stipple over the logo... so for now I am leaving it as is. Also trying to decide if I want to stipple the grip extension, though I just got those and am not dead set on carrying with it yet.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Have you shot it since you did the work. I know I love the Talon grips, because it was too rough before I put them on. Seems like the stipple work would make it too rough again. Post pictures after the cerakote. I really want to see that.

Nope, not yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the chance to pop some rounds through it. The factory grips hurt my hands, but also slipped. The Talon grips were a lot more comfortable, and probably would have been okay to keep as that. The stippling was done originally with the Talon grips installed, so I only did the thumb area on the frame, under the trigger guard and the area on the backstrap above where the talon grip doesn't cover. It felt pretty good, but I liked the texture of the stippling and decided to take the Talon grip off and do it all over. :)

The grippiest it will ever be is immediately after I removed the Talon grip. Still had a lot of sticky residue left over... was hard to let go, haha.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok, so here is my first attempt using a spare M&P backstrap. I am thinking about how to do the center area. In a different pattern or continue the same.
    attachment.php

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've stippled mine because if I was worried about looks I would have gotten a fancy engraved 1911.
    Seriously... its just for grip and reference for me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use the Talon rubber grip tapes on all of my Glocks. Stippling can look good if done well, but most are not. It's not really an issue though, as you don't buy a poly gun for looks. If you think it will help improve how the gun feels in your hands, then go for it. The biggest downside of stippling is that it kills resale value unless done really, really well. If you are Ok with that, the go for it and please post photos when done.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I don't mind a good looking stipple job...but i hate the ones that look like someone took a fire-poker to the frame followed by an angle grinder (there is one in the classifieds that's a good example, not to mention WAY overpriced :rolleyes:)

chezuki has posted pictures of his stippled M&Ps and it is probably the best looking stipple job i've ever seen...i'll see if i can find them. Maybe he will pop in a post them for us, allow me to make the chezuki call...MTAC!!!!!! :):

Edit: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/337557-stippled-my-m-p-backstrap.html Page 1, Post #5

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't mind a good looking stipple job...but i hate the ones that look like someone took a fire-poker to the frame followed by an angle grinder (there is one in the classifieds that's a good example, not to mention WAY overpriced :rolleyes:)

chezuki has posted pictures of his stippled M&Ps and it is probably the best looking stipple job i've ever seen...i'll see if i can find them. Maybe he will pop in a post them for us, allow me to make the chezuki call...MTAC!!!!!! :):

Edit: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/337557-stippled-my-m-p-backstrap.html Page 1, Post #5

I agree. And there are some stipple jobs on this thread that fit in the not good looking category. I won't point out which ones and as long as the owner is happy, I am happy!:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use the Talon rubber grip tapes on all of my Glocks. Stippling can look good if done well, but most are not. It's not really an issue though, as you don't buy a poly gun for looks. If you think it will help improve how the gun feels in your hands, then go for it. The biggest downside of stippling is that it kills resale value unless done really, really well. If you are Ok with that, the go for it and please post photos when done.

Yep, makes me wish Glocks were like some of the pistols where the frame is not the "firearm", but rather the trigger mechanism is, etc. Some Sigs, and I think the Beretta Nano may be like that. That way frames would be cheap and could be tossed if it did not turn out.

Also the cool part about M&P's, is the rubber backstraps that can be stippled but easily replaced.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Yep, makes me wish Glocks were like some of the pistols where the frame is not the "firearm", but rather the trigger mechanism is, etc. Some Sigs, and I think the Beretta Nano may be like that. That way frames would be cheap and could be tossed if it did not turn out.

Also the cool part about M&P's, is the rubber backstraps that can be stippled but easily replaced.

I love this practice, but not the firearms that have employed it, thus far...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Poor some beef or pork blood on your hands and try to shoot your pistol. If you get shot or get someone else's blood on you and it gets on your gun your gonna have a hard time gripping it. We carry in defense of life so it's a possibility. Train how you fight right?!

benzkomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    If you come up with a cool design and make it even, I think someone might appreciate it. I have the Kahr CM9 as well and think it looks good the way it is, I would just keep the grip since it helps with the size (for my hand at least)

Top Bottom