• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you stipple your polymer pistol for better grip?

• Total voters

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    6qzvZMD.jpg

Not perfect, but feels good. Function over fashion, at least for the carry gun.

Now to get the slide cerakoted black to match....

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Looks good, nice job Dude.

Thanks. One thing I didn't consider when proceeding with this is how it would feel when actually carrying it IWB. I've switched to my N82 Tactical holster for the time being because the holster's backing protects my skin from the grip, but the holster doesn't conceal as well and it's harder to draw from. (Super comfortable though) So yeah, should have considered that first. I'll figure something out.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    No, though I've seen a few that look pretty cool. Don't use anything (stippling, Talon, etc.) except the stock grip. Works just fine for me.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think stippling looks absolutely horrendous and I would never do it to one of my guns. That said, if you insist on it, I'd recommend finding someone with some experience to either do the job, or be there to walk you through it.

There are few things uglier than a bad stipple job.

For me, my polymer pistols (Glocks) are not about looks; it's a tool. Any enhancements I can make to give me better results I will do. For me and my hands, that includes grip reduction, finger groove removal and stippling job. If I ever need to sell one, I'm sure no one will buy it who doesn't appreciate those modifications. Most like to keep their guns stock, and that's fine. But it works for some people, myself included.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I stippled a cobray DD and a .22 rifle it doesn't look good but my guns aren't supposed to look good otherwise they wouldn't have stickers and nail polish all over them:D

I like the way your gun turned out.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I would love to do mine. I tend to over think stuff and my imagination always has me wanting to plan it so it goes one step farther. Result = I never get started.

I think it would be fun to experiment with the backstraps of my M&P that I don't use. Use different size points on the iron, or different concentration of small/larger dot clusters to make the entire thing stippled but have my initials or "M&P" be readable.

Kind of like the art work that uses a ton of dots rather than brush strokes. For stippling the size, cluster concentration, and character of the stipples vary rather than he color of the dots in art work.

I have a couple soldering irons but I also wonder if my electrosurg unit would work for this (radio surgery) because I have many different size and shape tips for it....hmmmm.

Then if I got good at that I could make one where if you stared at it right you could see a 3d whale?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    6qzvZMD.jpg

Not perfect, but feels good. Function over fashion, at least for the carry gun.

Now to get the slide cerakoted black to match....

Have you shot it since you did the work. I know I love the Talon grips, because it was too rough before I put them on. Seems like the stipple work would make it too rough again. Post pictures after the cerakote. I really want to see that.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I think stippling looks absolutely horrendous and I would never do it to one of my guns. That said, if you insist on it, I'd recommend finding someone with some experience to either do the job, or be there to walk you through it.

There are few things uglier than a bad stipple job.

It doesn't have to look bad and doesn't take experience to make it look good. I didn't have any experience when I stippled my backstrap on my M&P9 (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/337557-stippled-my-m-p-backstrap.html) and I think it turned out well. I don't think I'll stipple the frame though. Just personal preference. Having a backstrap to stipple is nice.

Top Bottom