Do you shoot Coyotes during deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    My friend was in a tree stand with a bow and had just shot a deer...they coyotes smelled the blood and came in just below his tree stand...he shot down at the coyote. the arrow went through the coyote and pinned him to the ground..man i wish this was my story...most people that hunt hate coyotes so i imagine that they are going to always be willing to take a shot at them...i bought a savage hog hunter in 223 to do just that...i cant wait

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    317437_2451905427748_1021926044_n.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a neighbor that will not allow you to deer hunt on his farm if your not willing to shot every coyote you see. he had a guy who had hunted his property for years and the guy let a coyote walk by. that day the guys was told to get his stands off the property

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On my old deer hunting spot we'd repeatedly see yotes on opening weekend of gun, following the trails of bucks.

Dunno if a rutted buck gets their attention or if they've learned that following a buck trail can lead to a gut pile ;)

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Last summer I had a very good friend die (90+) that was a avid hunter. He always said to kill for first animal you see while in a deer stand. This brings good luck and bigger deer. Every year he went out and killed a monster. He always said its just how it's always been done. Andi if you shoot a deer nd want a second one, do not leave your stand. The other deer will smell the first one and come in to it. Then he would laugh and say, but don't shoot more than you can carry or eat.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    I once let a yote pass only to shoot a buck less than five minutes later....

Ive also had deer come to investigate the noise of a shot....one even popped her head up behind my target I had been shooting a 45 at just seconds before lol (after a couple magazines worth of shooting).

I guess it just depends on my mood any givin day. Most times I just let nature be nature and enjoy the show.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Gun shots have very little to do with whether or not you see a deer. Often as not they'll move in the direction of a shot when spooked. Unless they're real close by. That being said, I like to kill the coyotes every chance I get.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I let one walk last year. He came out in the first fifteen minutes of opening day of gun season. He offered me a perfect shot and walked by exactly the route I wanted a deer to take.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I do

I'll shoot every one I see. I hunt mainly on a dairy farm, and coyotes are pretty thick. Two seasons ago I had a nice coyote walking across the cornfield a couple hundred yards out and called him into fifty and let him have it. Not 40 minutes later I had my best deer to date present me with a great shot.
    Nov14Buck62010.jpg
    [/IMG]

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    Im a predator caller more so than a deer hunter, if I dont call the coyote in than I typicaly dont shoot it. I "may" take one with my bow once in a while but not often as they arent realy prime that early in the season and I skin and stretch all my fur.

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Those are some great pictures! Personally Im blasting a yote during deer season and but so far I have never had the chance.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I finish most deer hunts with a series of distress... so I'll shoot a coyote from the "deer stand" every once in a while. I don't get a rush from a target of opportunity so for me there's no sense in blowing a 50cal hole through a coyote unless he's coming to the call.

That said, of the 90+/- days that cover Indiana's deer season I'm calling coyotes on nearly each one. Deer hunting has taken a back seat for me, hard to get excited over a herbivore anymore.

Top Bottom