• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Competition shooters only shoot well because they have fancy guns and powder puff ammo. Not only that, if a perp says "unload show clear" a comp shooter will reflexively unload because of muscle memory and hicks law.

I trust that you are just rattling some cages.

I have heard that comment many times over the last 30 years working in gun shops, at ranges and on the internet. Other than indoor bullseye (50ft) light ammo is not used. Even thought I started shooting bullseye in the 1970's, I have not been in a match for at least 15 years. Not a popular game anymore. Too demanding, not enough excitement.

In many pistol competitions you have to prove the power of your ammo to qualify for the classification. I spent a dozen years jamming the wimpy little 5.56 round into 600 yard targets in 5 states with an unadorned AR15. Shot 800,900,and 1000 yards with an iron sighted M-1a held in my hands, and an iron sighted PALMA rifle that was regulated to 7.62 ammo. Also shot open class with a 6.5 X 284 iron sighted rifle. Let me assure you, There was no wimpy rounds that ever made a score, let alone being competitive in Master class.

I cannot believe this myth is still floating around.

BTW, I can understand and respond to the difference between a low life who is a danger to my life and a club level IDPA match.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    A few friends and I 'compete' with each other in 3 gun shoots on occasion. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to actually compete, but I thoroughly enjoy shooting like this with friends and family!

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    I haven't started in competition yet, but this thread has definitely helped motivate me. Now I just have to find a club near me!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I trust that you are just rattling some cages.

I have heard that comment many times over the last 30 years working in gun shops, at ranges and on the internet. Other than indoor bullseye (50ft) light ammo is not used. Even thought I started shooting bullseye in the 1970's, I have not been in a match for at least 15 years. Not a popular game anymore. Too demanding, not enough excitement.

In many pistol competitions you have to prove the power of your ammo to qualify for the classification. I spent a dozen years jamming the wimpy little 5.56 round into 600 yard targets in 5 states with an unadorned AR15. Shot 800,900,and 1000 yards with an iron sighted M-1a held in my hands, and an iron sighted PALMA rifle that was regulated to 7.62 ammo. Also shot open class with a 6.5 X 284 iron sighted rifle. Let me assure you, There was no wimpy rounds that ever made a score, let alone being competitive in Master class.

I cannot believe this myth is still floating around.

BTW, I can understand and respond to the difference between a low life who is a danger to my life and a club level IDPA match.
    The post you are referring to was done in jest, but yeah, some people will say anything to justify what they do or don't do. I've shot a lot of different types of matches over the years with mostly pistol, but also rifle and shotgun. IMHO, there is no better way to learn the fun fundamentals of marksmanship with a handgun than bullseye pistol shooting. Yes, they use reduced loads in that sport, BUT they shoot with one hand. Also, before the rule changes, points towards the distinguished badge were earned with factory hardball. There is no doubt that the action sports hone other skills that translate to "real world" needs. I think that anything which involves increased trigger time is valuable. Competition has kept my interest in getting out the guns and shooting them a lot. Otherwise, I'd probably just take them out a couple of times a year and be pleased with shooting a few rounds at a target at close range. Competition also helps me push myself to do better. I look at it mostly as competing with myself; always looking to improve.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Only against myself. I like to do better than the last time I was at the range
    That is the attitude of most shooters in competitive shooting. Most competitive shooters set written goals for themselves. The top shooters set high standards upon which a competitive shooter can use in setting goals. This can and usually does result in quicker advancement and to higher skill levels.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is the attitude of most shooters in competitive shooting. Most competitive shooters set written goals for themselves. The top shooters set high standards upon which a competitive shooter can use in setting goals. This can and usually does result in quicker advancement and to higher skill levels.

It's just like in the gym. If you have training partners and rivals to motivate and push you, you make gains much faster.

Top Bottom