• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Wouldn't you agree that getting ppl there is the biggest step. After that its getting them back a few times. Then they start understanding how a match runs and the basic how we do things. Once they have a understanding and know a few shooters, then they start building confidence enough to try it. I say the guns getcha coming the ppl keep ya coming back.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The bad part is when you let the competition become an obsession. When I first started shooting the Hemingway Memorial Shoot I did so with a simple Winchester 70 in .375 H&H (smallest legal caliber). Well the match director changed the format slightly to favor a double rifle so to combat that I decided a lever would be faster on follow up shots especially a stage that required more than 2 rounds. So I had my 450 Alaskan built on a 71. Well then the stages were made so none required more than 2 shots...mmmm...bought my Tikka double rifle in 93X74R. Problem solved but...there had to be a faster way to recover from the recoil for that second shot. Ah-ha...a gas operated semi auto with a good muzzlebrake would gain me 10ths of seconds in getting back on target for the follow up shot. Sadly there were no such guns in caliber large enough for the Hemingway so I sent a Browning BAR Safari in .338 off to my gunsmith and got back a gas operated semi auto with a KDF muzzlebrake in 375/338!

Mind you this all was done to win a shooting competition where the entry fee was 10 dollars and a bottle of wine. Biggest prize ever won there was $100...in Zimbabwe dollars...might be enough for a small coffee.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In the short time I've been doing this, the #1 reason by far that people either won't participate in competitions or quit soon after trying it is because they don't like to do anything at which they can't excel. I'm sure many other excuses and reasons are sincere, but the most common is that a lot of people won't do something if they know they can't "win" and along the same lines that other people will see and know.

Years ago I said to a small group of shooters who were discussing this issue that if I only did things I was good at doing, I'd be limited to watching television and running my mouth. I shoot in competitions because it's a fun way to practice.

I know the excuses type.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that probably one of the most valuable aspects of competition is finding out just how well your gun really runs. Or doesn't. Most gun owners don't shoot enough to really see and understand how important reliability is. I have seen so many guns fail in competition that just really shook the confidence of the owner.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Never really had the urge to enter organized competition. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a few years ago ~ just never really had the time or money due to raising 6 children. I am sure I would have met some great people -- my loss.

Do compete against my family members and really enjoy that aspect of shooting! Eyes aren't good enough to be competitive anymore unless I am using a scope, but still enjoy shooting. Do have plenty of time ~ retired, but have other things I am doing that take up a lot of time (Woodworking, helping out a disabled friend, etc.). Have plenty of ammo and pretty decent firearms, like Hi-power rifle, but unfortunately currently only have 100 yd range at club - little more at son's house but not 300 YD like I used to shoot. Do a lot of 25 ~ 50 yard handgun shooting. Also have a lot of fun shooting skeet (against family).

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Never really had the urge to enter organized competition. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a few years ago ~ just never really had the time or money due to raising 6 children. I am sure I would have met some great people -- my loss.

Do compete against my family members and really enjoy that aspect of shooting! Eyes aren't good enough to be competitive anymore unless I am using a scope, but still enjoy shooting. Do have plenty of time ~ retired, but have other things I am doing that take up a lot of time (Woodworking, helping out a disabled friend, etc.). Have plenty of ammo and pretty decent firearms, like Hi-power rifle, but unfortunately currently only have 100 yd range at club - little more at son's house but not 300 YD like I used to shoot. Do a lot of 25 ~ 50 yard handgun shooting. Also have a lot of fun shooting skeet (against family).

It amazes me how many ppl use the "my eyes aren't that good anymore excuse" for not competing. I hear it all the time. My father n law uses that excuse. He also will shoot with us at home. The guy is a excellent shot! He just doesn't have the kahoonas to compete nor does he want to. Lol
    Funny thing is he can sit in his basement and tie fishing flys, but he can't shoot competition where the plates are 24"x24" or larger.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It amazes me how many ppl use the "my eyes aren't that good anymore excuse" for not competing. I hear it all the time. My father n law uses that excuse. He also will shoot with us at home. The guy is a excellent shot! He just doesn't have the kahoonas to compete nor does he want to. Lol
    Funny thing is he can sit in his basement and tie fishing flys, but he can't shoot competition where the plates are 24"x24" or larger.

This example works until the guy you are talking to is actually legally blind. Would be funnier when the legally blind guy is actually shooting competitions.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This example works until the guy you are talking to is actually legally blind. Would be funnier when the legally blind guy is actually shooting competitions.

we have a guy that competes w/ us from time to time who I believe is not-quite legally blind, but close. he sees well enough to make hits, even if it takes him a while. He has one leg also. No Excuses! (haven't seen him in a while, hope he's ok...) :)

Do have plenty of time ~ retired

My Dad retired last yr. Many decades ago he was a bench-rest competitor and was debating between getting a new BR gun and an AR, so as a retirement/b-day/Christmas/fathers'day gift last year I built him a nice AR he could shoot off a bench. He has since joined a club that is starting a 3-gun program, and has bought himself a pistol and is now shooting 3-gun. He has lots of "other stuff" he's doing too, but when you don't give 40+ hrs to "the man" how can you not find a couple hrs for a match!?

It's been fun talking w/ him about what an affect that pressure of shooting in front of all the other competitors has on him, and the things he's realizing he has to improve in his shooting....

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think that probably one of the most valuable aspects of competition is finding out just how well your gun really runs. Or doesn't. Most gun owners don't shoot enough to really see and understand how important reliability is. I have seen so many guns fail in competition that just really shook the confidence of the owner.

AMEN!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Whatever. I ran 50 FLAWLESS rounds through my HK. It's good to go. I don't need to compete for that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I was legally blind due to infection/incompetent medical intervention. I could not read a word or watch television. It was a year before I could pass the drivers license exam, and two years before I got a license that allowed me to drive after dark. I shot trap while I still could not drive. Not great, but I was not last either. As long as I could get a glimpse if the trajectory of the clay, I had a pretty good chance of hitting it. Of course there are not sights used in trap, I had at least 10 years of over 15,000 shots per year in competition and the shot makes a 4 ft diameter pattern at point of impact yardage. I did not trust myself with rifle or pistol shooting.

For rifle or pistol, If you cannot see the front sight make out at least a fuzzy target, you are pretty much dead in the water. If a person does not believe he can complete the course of fire safely, he should stand down and not endanger others. That person does not owe an explaination to anyone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom