• Do you own a Blue Gun?

• Total voters

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You are right though most of what the Military has taught in the past was pure crap. They are getting the non-boys club on board more day by day.

I was Infantry. In the boys club. Bloody hands until you develop calusis... Plus some of the stuff you have no choice but to use real guns on just to learn how to do it right...

I have also trained with the SAS (Brit and Aussie), The Aussie Royal Marines, Budeswehr, IDF, and a couple of others...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think that, for you, that makes rational sense, but outside .mil people can get themselves sued or prosecuted, besides I prefer to be a good neighbor and not launch any projectiles about the neighborhood.

That will be awkward at the next neighborhood association.:n00b:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think that, for you, that makes rational sense, but outside .mil people can get themselves sued or prosecuted, besides I prefer to be a good neighbor and not launch any projectiles about the neighborhood.

That will be awkward at the next neighborhood association.:n00b:

Sounds to me like your problem Kirk is that your neighbor live to close... :D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have ALWAYS used my firearms, and NEVER sent a round through the wall. I check, and double check, to insure, that my weapon is empty !!!!!!! I do draw drills, reloads, etc., and have not had a problem..... My neighbors, don't know, and never will.....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds to me like your problem Kirk is that your neighbor live to close

True, I do live close to the downtown of my city (but less lawn to care for and I have a very short commute, which I walk/bike in the summer).

However, I have seen too many horrific tragedies not to use a plastic/rubber gun from guys walking around the house dry practicing (the Gunsite incidents made a big impression on me--I have stayed at that hotel). Rule #4 and all that.

One of the first cases I had here was a guy with an SKS who came home and out of frustration with his boss fired 3 rounds off in the house. Hit a five year old little girl in the head (canoe'd her forehead).

Training with real weapons (with the bolt or however it is done currently) out may be fine for the service where lawsuits and criminal prosecutions are minimized, however here in the nasty, dirty civilian world why raise my exposure to all of that if I need not?

I know, I know, gun safety, or lack thereof, is Kirk's hobby horse, but what can I say, I like to ride it around.:D

To me, a $45 blue gun is a lot cheaper and less time out of my life than 45K lawyer bill.

BIX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I own blue guns, inert training barrels, and have my dryfire targets taped to a Level II kevlar panel.

Like Kirk, I have some experience with the legal system and a strong desire to stay out of it! :D

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Those of you that have training guns... Where did you get it? Is there a best place to find these?

I'm thinking about picking one of these up in an M&P.

Stoop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    I'm tempted to get one but put off a little by price, so I would definitely pick one up from eBay or used if I could. Meanwhile I have an old airsoft that I use to practice drawing with.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you want a Glock, Beretta, SIG, or something else that is commonly found in a police officer's holster, many of the places that sell police gear or shooting/tactical gear will have the blue/red/orange/gray inert replicas.

If you want something less common to police work, like a Browning HP, an M&P, a cocked and locked 1911, or most long guns, going directly to Ring's (link in a previous message) is your best bet.

If you want to save few dollars, the Blackhawk inert replicas are generally $10-15 less than a Ring's Blue Gun. However, they are not as detailed and not as heavy. You can get them in orange or gray, but the selections are far more limited than Ring's.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One of the reasons for people to have negligent discharges is that they are not familiar enough with the function, controls, feel of the tool in their hands. I have my troops practice for hours on the different functions of their weapons. I am a firm believer in using real weapons for training. I expect my troops to be able to use their weapons no matter how dark it is, no matter how hot or cold, no matter how wet, no matter how scared they are. It takes hours upon hours with a weapon to get that comfortable with it. I expect my troops to KNOW the exact status of their weapon at all times. I expect them to handle a situation when someone points a real gun at them.

I see little to no value in Training Weapons. Maybe I am just a dinosaur...

The only caveat I have for that is that does not include edged weapons training. I can not unload a knife...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I see little to no value in Training Weapons. Maybe I am just a dinosaur...

No, T. Rex, you are not a dinosaur; you are in a different milieu (na printzipah where you are).

If I were in the service I would want NCOs with your attitude, jeremy.

However, I am a dirty, stinky civilian type who is not facing the same liability profile that your soliders are. I will be held accountable to a different standard of care and any victims a different assumption of the risk.

Certainly the Marine that put the .308 through an entire wing of the hotel at Gunsite was familiar with his weapon, but would have been in a world of civilian bravosierra if that round had connected with a blood-filled skin bag.

There may be value in snapping in on your buddy like the two guys at Gunsite, but why should I expose myself to that risk as a dirty, nasty civilian?

I'm no ninjy, I'm am what I am and a "cool guy" I am not.:D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I see little to no value in Training Weapons.

These guys apparently disagree. :dunno:

marinesSplash.jpg

Top Bottom