• Total voters

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    has anyone here bought a Blue gun (any training gun) that is a replica of their carry gun?

I keep tossing around the idea to practice drawing and things. I'm curious if you own one, how do you train with it?

564950.jpg

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, I own a bluegun G19. I use it for weapons retention training, disarms, and getting a pistol into the fight, especially from the ground.

For practice drawing/dryfire, I use real steel.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have several of different makes and models, including an M4 replica.

I use them for:
    • Demonstrations
    • anything where a real gun is ill-advised such as any skills that involve physical contact with another person or where the replica may have to be pointed in an unsafe direction.
    They are great for dry practice. They're great for passing to students to learn about grip, draws, etc. away from the range. They're also great for practicing low light techniques with weapon-mounted lights and other tactics when you want to go throught he motions, but in a location where live guns are either ill-advised or prohibited.

The Blackhawk orange guns are probably the least expensive and they seem to fit holsters properly. I have no experience with the ASP Red Guns. The Rings Blue Guns are the most detailed and accurate represenations and are heavier (which is good), but a little more expensive. Rings also has a wider selection of weapons and configurations, including a lot of long guns. My M4 has a quad rail fore end and the stock is in the collapsed position, for instance. My 1911s have the hammer cocked and locked.

Re: the inert training barrels ... those are a a good idea for some applications, but I don't think they're a replacement for a completely inert replica like a Blue Gun, Red Gun, etc. Even if you have and use the yellow barrel replacement, having a completely inert copy is also a good idea.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    See no sense in it for my application or needs.

For $40 I can invest that into gear/equipment that is needed for something other than occasional play fighting...

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been considering it. Can anyone explain why they are so expensive? $35-$40 seems like alot for a piece of molded plastic.

Because developing those molds and producing a replica that duplicates the external dimensions of the real firearm isn't cheap, maybe?

If you don't have experience with molding/casting, there is a little more to it than taking a gun and making a rubber mold of it to fill with plastic.

You could make your own if the price is not agreeable to you. You could make one from wood, but it might be tricky making it fit your holster and your hand the same way your real gun does. If you're not using it with a holster, that might be a viable option, actually.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Blue guns are excellent bits of kit.

You can help new shooters and practice techniques in your home without danger of putting extra holes in your property or family.:)

I don't know why we don't see more for sale at places like the Indy 1500. I've always thought a table full of blue guns would be a niche market.

However, I think the guys that understand the utility of a blue gun go out and get them and don't wait for a gun show purchase.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Because developing those molds and producing a replica that duplicates the external dimensions of the real firearm isn't cheap, maybe?

If you don't have experience with molding/casting, there is a little more to it than taking a gun and making a rubber mold of it to fill with plastic.

I guess I was thinking of all the other plastic devices around that don't cost nearly that much. All my DVDs and CDs are the same size. All of the caps on Coke bottles are the same size, etc.

I guess when you have a niche, you can charge what the market will pay...

Top Bottom