do you let industry politics influence your purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Well, I won't stop buying products made by companies that employ hard working machinists, gunsmiths, inspectors, shipping/receiving clerks and office personnel because a few board room jerks, who are going to make a fat paycheck and bonus anyway, make decisions I don't agree with 100%. Don't punish the working class for the faults of the few...:twocents:

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    I traded my Kahr due to the direct (read monetary) connection to a fringe religious "cult". I found myself having such an aversion to it it was kept unloaded and unused in the car for a week before I traded it for a G26. Does that count...kinda?

This has piqued my interest. Could you please provide more information?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    This has piqued my interest. Could you please provide more information?

Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of the Unification Church International holding company.
    From the age of 14, Justin Moon enjoyed shooting guns. At age 18, Moon got a license to carry a handgun, co-signed by one of his older brothers, but he wasn't satisfied with the small calibers available in compact handguns. "I had been licensed to carry in New York State since I was 18 and had looked for an ultra-compact 9mm pistol," Justin later told American Handgunner magazine. "To my chagrin, I could not find a pistol with the quality of construction and features in design which I felt were appropriate for a carry gun. Therefore, I decided to design an ultra-compact 9-mm. pistol that I could carry."[ By his junior year of college, he decided to design one himself.
    After graduating from Harvard University in 1992, Moon founded Kahr Arms with Church money through a shell entity called Saeilo LLC in 1993.
    In 1999, Kahr Arms bought Auto-Ordnance Corp., the maker of Thompson submachine guns.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Call me crazy, but I decided to quit buying mossbergs after I found out they were chinese made. :dunno: Dangit. My SKS is Chinese made too though... Now I'm in a pickle haha.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Call me crazy, but I decided to quit buying mossbergs after I found out they were chinese made. :dunno:

Source, please?

The Mossberg 500 line is assembled in CT from US components. The Maverick 88 line is assembled in Eagle Pass, TX, from US and foreign-sourced (most likely Mexico) components. I believe the 930 shotgun line and the lever guns are made here, too. Their 702 Plinkster .22 and their O/U shotguns are imported under the Mossberg International brand, but I don't believe either of those are Chinese.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Source, please?

The Mossberg 500 line is assembled in CT from US components. The Maverick 88 line is assembled in Eagle Pass, TX, from US and foreign-sourced (most likely Mexico) components. I believe the 930 shotgun line and the lever guns are made here, too. Their 702 Plinkster .22 and their O/U shotguns are imported under the Mossberg International brand, but I don't believe either of those are Chinese.

According to the barrel on my 702 Plinkster, it is made in Brazil by CBC.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I traded my Kahr due to the direct (read monetary) connection to a fringe religious "cult". I found myself having such an aversion to it it was kept unloaded and unused in the car for a week before I traded it for a G26. Does that count...kinda?

It's just a monetary connection, so ... you are buying a German Glock instead eh? You could be supporting a Nazi movement... :dunno:

The 'connection' could be twisted either way, in both cases. Therefore, I render this argument ill based. But, it's your choice. :yesway::ingo::patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's just a monetary connection, so ... you are buying a German Glock instead eh? You could be supporting a Nazi movement... :dunno:

The 'connection' could be twisted either way, in both cases. Therefore, I render this argument ill based. But, it's your choice. :yesway::ingo::patriot:

Actually, the Glock is from Austria.

The home of Adolf Hitler :D

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    why is heniz bad. mcdonalds, buger king, whitecastle, and wendys all use heniz. i do my best to buy american first then worry about politcs.
    i wont buy citgo gas though.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Heniz is either owned or operated by John Kerry's wife. That is all I know about it.

As for me, I buy what I can, that is good and right. The only problem is that it's getting harder to find things that don't have some sort of history.:dunno:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Source, please?

You're right. Sorry about the mix up. They have a plant in Torreon, Mexico as well as Eagle Pass, Texas. I remember reading mexico on the old box I had, but it's been long enough that I must have thought China for some reason. Either way, it's still not all that favorable to me. :dunno:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    political Influence

:patriot: I try to govern myself with what is best for my own situation. While I really don't like shopping at Wal-mart and suporting the Chi-Coms I gotta save money. On the other hand I won't patronize Starbucks if I can keep from it since they refused to sell their coffe to some soldiers in Iraq, because they didn't like the war! But when ever possible I will try to buy American and not give anyone who is anti-gun, or anti what I belive in my business. :patriot:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    couple questions:

1) to the guys who dislike Kahr, do you also dislike 1911s? wasn't JMB a Mormon?
    2) so the kimber issue is related to them making guns for Kommiefornia cops? does this mean you would hate Glock or Sig if they provided weapons for California or Illinois?

drjavelina

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    YES, politcs definitely influence my purchase. I wouldn't buy a S&W for a few years because of their view on gun control.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I wouldn't buy a S&W for a few years because of their view on gun control.

Hello, and welcome to :ingo:

Some folks I know still won't buy S&W because they've never disavowed their previous efforts or issued an official apology. I say the fact that there is nobody left there from the previous ownership/management, coupled with their more recent corporate conduct (new product introduction, support of the NRA and shooting sports) absolves them of past misdeeds. Which camp do you fall into?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

Some folks I know still won't buy S&W because they've never disavowed their previous efforts or issued an official apology. I say the fact that there is nobody left there from the previous ownership/management, coupled with their more recent corporate conduct (new product introduction, support of the NRA and shooting sports) absolves them of past misdeeds. Which camp do you fall into?

From a business standpoint, it just doesn't make sense to denounce:dunno::rolleyes: your customers... :n00b::):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I agree with you. Owned by a totally different company, run by completely different people.

Ruger, OTOH, as much a fan as I am of their guns still gives me a twinge when I think about buying one. Bill Ruger's "No honest man..." line makes me unhappy.

Top Bottom