• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have one ruger Mark II mag that has remained loaded (When not shooting it) Since i was 21 years old. I am 46 so 25 years. I purchase 4 extra's and the original that I numbered. Number 1 has always been loaded and 2-5 have remained unloaded unless at the range or going to the range.

So far Number one is as good to go as two through five.

Check back with me in another 25 years and I will let you know.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just to add to this, I've had several Pmag loaded since shortly after Pmags first came out... they were my "go-to gun mags" and I haven't touched them except to occasionally fire off a few rounds (once a year or so) to make sure they're still functioning. That is without the feed-lip protectors/mag covers on them.

So while it is true that polymers to creep much more and much faster than metals, newer technology in composites has helped to minimize creep.

Still not a bad thing to keep in mind though, especially with cheaper polymer magazines and other polymer items.

Polymer technology / engineering fascinates me... :n00b: I'm a nerd like that.

And while I have less than 0% knowledge / experience with things AR-related...

I keep my 5 loaded AK mags downloaded by 5 "just in case". Plus, the math worked out well for the ammo I'd opened. :D

So for the Bulgarian surplus mags I have, which are almost wholly polymer, this is the practice that I follow. Doesn't bother me if someone wants to keep 30 rounds in theirs, or 20, or 0 or somewhere between 0 and 30.

Metal reinforced feed lips / mag bodies (Glock, anyone?) are yet another example of what may be good idea for one system doesn't necessarily translate into being a good idea for another.

Myriad factors involved: mag construction, mag capacity, spring material, spring age, size of ammo, etc, ALL factor in.

-J-

Top Bottom